Getting new gears, some questions

yeah i find it better also. i running with 550 rwhp/rwtq and 3.90 gears through a traction lock and a t-56. I used to live in NC and it rained all the time. I also had my traction control disabled because i think its a death trap (very scary when you need to move fast and it wont let you). I never driven it in snow but plenty of rain, trust me it rains alot in NC.

Just my opinon.

Luis

• Sponsors (?)

Well it appears some people just need to learn the hard way... Go ahead and pass on the LSD or locker. Get the 3.55's too. You'll never know what you're missing. And then when people are smoking your doors or teasing about the fact you can only put down a single stripe... remember this thread where guys with EXPERIENCE told you how to do it right the first time. Kids these days.... :)

CornerCarvin67 said:
Well it appears some people just need to learn the hard way... Go ahead and pass on the LSD or locker. Get the 3.55's too. You'll never know what you're missing. And then when people are smoking your doors or teasing about the fact you can only put down a single stripe... remember this thread where guys with EXPERIENCE told you how to do it right the first time. Kids these days.... :)

It appears that your objective in building a car is different from what I percieved xj220 is looking to do. In the original post he ask about a good gear ratio to use with a 289 4V and a T5, and if a LSD was needed for his application. He defined the application as a weekend driver with some spriited street driving. Based on the input from the contributors he says he is going to go with 3.55 gears and no LSD. Sounds like a perfectily good decision to me. Expressing concerns about the cost effectiveness on building a car to meet specific objectives indicates to me this "kid" (it's a father-son project) has his head in the right place. :nice:

If he ever gets to the point where people blowing his doors off and being teased becomes a concern, he is going to have to spend a lot more $$$, only to be disappointed because someone else spent more money. :notnice:

Nothing is better than to have a well thought out plan built around a budget. And if some people think doing things twice is economical, then that's math I don't understand. My point being is that the gears aren't steep enough and the lack of traction an open diff. gives you is just plain un-acceptable. If the car is a trailer queen... fine... then why change anything.

I drive cars... I race cars... so that's how I based my opinion.

And I'd bet that when the "kid" grows up.... he'll understand.

Makes me laugh quite frankly...

:)

Thanks for the honest replies, I appreciate it. Oh, don't call me a ****ing kid, I'm 21 years old. Sure I'm not as old as some other members of have as much experience, but I know more than you realize and I don't like being patronized. I had a simple question and was curious as to what other members had to say.

i remember when i was 21.......4 years ago and i was in afghan. good times

dont get all butt hurt, if your asking a question like this then obviously you dont have that much experience. no one is even saying that. theres alot of good info here. i just dont understand why some would say the one wheel peel is better, even in ****ty weather. if it was possible i would have all my wheels applying power to the ground.

xj220 said:
Thanks for the honest replies, I appreciate it. Oh, don't call me a ****ing kid, I'm 21 years old. Sure I'm not as old as some other members of have as much experience, but I know more than you realize and I don't like being patronized. I had a simple question and was curious as to what other members had to say.

Sorry young man, I may have been the first to use the k** word, but I used no adjective and I did not mean to be derogatory or condescending.

KID = NOVICE.

Everyone starts out as a kid/novice. You shouldn't be offended. But if you're
gonna solicate advice in a public forum, be prepared for various opinions.

Here... one LAST try... FOR REAL (ha ha, my six year old says that). I'll explain it a little differently. You have a classic. So to some extent you've got yourself a hobby. Now it doesn't matter what you do with that hobby... you will still end up changing/fixing/improving something as long as you own that car. And while you might not realize it now... 90% of the people in this hobby eventually want to make it look cooler, handle better or GO FASTER. If you are in the 10% who don't... well then all I can say is sorry. But if you're like the majority of us... you will want to put in a limited slip. You'll find that a lot of people will put in a limited slip and then some day wish they had stepped up to a locker even. It's all part of the hobby. I simply can not think of a single benefit to an open differential with the exception of saving a couple hundred bucks by not putting one in at all. Whatever gear ratio you want to run... I don't care.... but make sure you don't look back and have regrets if you can help it. Think of it this way.... the more you have to open that rear end up... the more it's gonna cost you. I'd be willing to wager that you'll regret not putting in the limited slip at least. So you could end up paying someone to put in the gears.... and then you'll end up paying even more to have someone open that rear end up AGAIN to put in the limited slip. It's really that simple... no BS.

I can't explain it any simpler than that....

So whatcha gonna do?

how many people have put gears in their car and wished they went with a taller gear?????????i wished i would I have dine what i wanted, but when i was about your age I was talked out of it.(oh no, 4.11's are too much etc.) SO what did i learn?Its gonna cost me double and add to my list of used parts