Getting rid of the 2005-up throttle dead-play?

Personally, I like the drive by wire systems. Tuning is much easier. It's no fun when you brake a throttle cable. Trust me, I've done it, on the car in my avatar.

No kidding, that's just a fabricated figure. :notnice:

I dunno man. There are so many people that have NO clue what they are doing when tuning these new mustangs. The hardest part about these Drive By Wire systems is getting rid of the "drop in" when you tune the car. I know quite a few friends that have had their car tuned by a guy who is great for 03/04 Cobra's and Mach 1's and when he does S197's he has no clue on how to get the drop in out. The drop in is awesome...for about a week and then it gets old. I drove a good 200 miles to get my car tuned by one of the best tuners in the nation (James @ Runnin' With The Devil) just so I wouldn't get that drop in and my car would stay streetable.

• Sponsors (?)

Uh, has anyone e-mailed Ford about the problem?!! I have, no response yet. Unless we all complain, there will be no fix from Ford. I will try bending the "brushes" if they deny a problem, but I would rather not have to go there.

In 10k miles I have never noticed this with my Bullit. The gas pedal seems to work perfectly in every circumstance. This is my first stick shift in 35 years, and I like that it is harder to stall than the old cars used to be. Even the rev limiter works fine.

This is what I did a while back. I pushed down the thottle with my hand, looked at the gap the thottle arm made at the piviot point when the RPMs came up. I shimmed the gap, making the throttle stop at the point where the RPMs rose. Now I breathe on it and it jumps about 200 rpms. I love it!! No lag. was much easier then taking it apart. Took out about 3/8" play.

This is what I did a while back. I pushed down the thottle with my hand, looked at the gap the thottle arm made at the piviot point when the RPMs came up. I shimmed the gap, making the throttle stop at the point where the RPMs rose. Now I breathe on it and it jumps about 200 rpms. I love it!! No lag. was much easier then taking it apart. Took out about 3/8" play.

What did you use as a shim?

pretty hard to get under there with a camera, just run the seat back and with a light look at where the throttle pivot point is. Then push on the pedal with your hand. See the gap open as the pedal moves down. Now I started the car and let it drop to idle RPMs, then watched the size of the gap as I pushed down the throttle to where the RPMs increased. Just need to put something in there to make a new stop, I used a washer JB welded on the pedal arm which spaced about an 1/16 " but at the pedal end, that is about 3/8" travel gone. The car will sense the new position and that will be the idle point. Then if your shim is correct, the throttle will respond without much pressure. I had to play with the shimming a bit to get it perfect.

Hey Metroplex,

I really like the 350Zs too, but you might want to go to some of the "Z" forums and check the problems they are having. I was really thinking of buying one, but the early ones have terrible tire feathering issues that Nissan has been both unable and unwilling to fix. Some of The newer "Z"s and Altimas (07, 08) have been using oil to the tune of a quart every 1000 miles. Not trying to stand on a soap box and defend Ford here, just trying to prevent you from being really disappointed from another car. Two guys at work drive '04 350Zs and they have to replace their front tires every 5000-6000 miles.

Not saying that happens with all of the Z's, but you just never know.

Peace

Yeah Z's and G35/37s are weaksauce. They may have nice interiors and all but I don't consider them as performance cars. For me, it's all about Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes.

back on topic:
I would just try Lifter583's brilliant idea and call it a day.