getting tuner and CAI from american muscle

#1stangFAN

Mar 30, 2009
So ive been looking around for a good tuner and CAI set up and americanmuscle.com has deals that if you order on one their combos you get free tunes for life. What do you guys think about this? are the tunes reliable? On one set up they advertised 35-40HP gains?

• Sponsors (?)

Go with something from Brenspeed, Bama or VMP instead. They will also give you free updated tunes when you buy more mods, plus you will get much better service if you have problems or questions.

Brenspeed, Bama and VMP have dyno's that they have tested their tunes on - they can get that little bit extra out of the motor. Don't get me wrong though, AM is still great for parts (as a matter of fact, I am waiting for the UPS guy to deliver an order from them)

Go with VMP Tuning or another reputable tuner like Brenspeed or Bama. Don't waste your time with American Muscle. They aren't going to be able to write a tune like these guys. It's not to say American Muscle isn't a good place to buy some stuff from just not tuning.

I have only had dealing with Brenspeed when it comes to tunes and have great things to say about Brenspeed. You can get tunes from just about anywhere but customer service is what you rely on when you need help, and Brenspeed is excellent in this regard.

alright then, well then i think i changed my mind with AM and if i buy a combo from brenspeed i get a free custom tune so that should make me happy :)

Brenspeed is a great company and I have bought things from them before, but thats weird that they only give you three octane levels of the same tune.

I got my tuner/cai from bamachips and I got three totally different tunes, a torque one, a general performance one, and a race one.

I believe the "free tunes" you get are from the manufacturer of the tuner, not American muscle.

That is correct. I bought my DiabloSport Predator tuner from RPMoutlet.com and they have that same offer. Free tune updates for life (via Diablo). The canned tunes are just fine for most people.

There is a huge brainwashing going on at most Mustang forums that says the only "good" tunes are from Brenspeed, Bama, etc. While those are great places to get tunes from, there is no reason that a tuner manufacturer's tunes aren't decent, too, even if purchased through a middle man like American Muscle or RPMoutlet.

And, ultimately, anyone serious about tunes should be getting a custom dyno tune done anyway, as a mail order tune is only so good - regardless of which nationally touted tuner we're talking about. Putting it on the dyno is the only way to accurately nail down a tune for your specific car. The mail order tuners can only get you "close" to ideal.

economy tune is sort of ridiculous. If you want to save gas, just drive slower. I had one, and I never used it.

Also, you may want to check out ModularMuscle.com. They did my tune and I cant say enough great things about it.

economy tune is sort of ridiculous. If you want to save gas, just drive slower. I had one, and I never used it.

How is it ridiculous? The tune is going to do things that you cannot modulate with your right foot or even your left. If you wanted it than it's a good option. It's a lot more than the guys charging money for "torque" and "race" tunes when all they do is alter throttle position.

RPM Outlet? Good luck getting your stuff ... :rlaugh:

Oh, god, you're one of those RPM Outlet haters, aren't you? I've ordered several things from them and always had good experiences, so give it a rest. Will I ever get my tune updated from them because I bought my tuner there? Nope! With the supercharger on the car, the only tune changes I get anymore are done on a dyno with our local tuning shop.

Oh, god, you're one of those RPM Outlet haters, aren't you? I've ordered several things from them and always had good experiences, so give it a rest. Will I ever get my tune updated from them because I bought my tuner there? Nope! With the supercharger on the car, the only tune changes I get anymore are done on a dyno with our local tuning shop.

There is a damn good reason why there are a lot of RPM Oulet haters. It's usually because we or someone we know got screwed over by their horrible business ethics. There is no denying it, when the numbers are out there tell the whole story. I got screwed over on a set of hood pins that they kept telling me were out of stock but wouldn't refund the money. So, why would I promote a company that tried to screw me? Please tell me, I'm curious ... :shrug:

I wouldn't forget Evolution Performance also. That's what I went with, mainly because they are local but their cars run their balls off and they made mine much quicker also....again not taking away from the other excellent companies mentioned just throwing in my input based on a great experience.