Girl needs audio advice

Hello! I just got an '04 Mustang GT Couple Deluxe, not Premium package. The Deluxe means cloth interior and junk stereo, rims not as nice either. I don't mind the rims or cloth, but I can't live with the stereo. Basically it is a single disc player, with 4 junk speakers, not the Mach speakers. I am unhappy and need to change it out. I've gone to 3 car stereo places looking for suggestions, and got 3 different answers/prices so far. Being I'm a female, out shopping alone, without much knowledge, I wanna run their ideas by you guys before I take out my checkbook.

First guy said replace two front speakers with MB-Quarts (he said they're the best kind), and add a 6-CD changer to the trunk. He said he'd keep the factory radio in. He later said that there's no adapter to connect stuff to my factory radio because it is "so new". (??) ($500)

Second guy said he'd just stick a 10" Kicker subwoofer in a big ole' box in my trunk and stick a big ole 5 channel amp to the back of my backseat (??) This doesn't sound very attractive to me ! Not sure I want such big things hanging out in my trunk space or permanently attached to my backseat (what if I wanna fold my backseats down?) ($500)

The third guy said he'd replace the radio with a Pioneer radio, add 2 MTX (I think, something like that) speakers to the front door panels to replace the factory ones, and add a Pioneer 6 disc changer to the trunk. ($800)

Oh yeah, and I went to my Ford dealership inquiring about whether they could just put their factory 6-disc changer into the dash instead of the single disc changer I have now, and they said something about the adapter again, that it's not out yet, cuz it's so new, and my radio has MP3 player and all this stuff (which it does not have). I think these guys are confused when they say that about the adapter.

am I making any sense? Now, I'm looking on here in the Classifieds, and I see people selling their entire Mach 460 systems, and I am wondering "heck, should I just purchase that and bring it to someone to install?" Then I will feel more like I am driving the Premium GT. Please offer advice.

~Jennie

• Sponsors (?)

No easy answer...

Mustang Jennie said:
Hello! I just got an '04 Mustang GT Couple Deluxe, not Premium package. The Deluxe means cloth interior and junk stereo, rims not as nice either. I don't mind the rims or cloth, but I can't live with the stereo. Basically it is a single disc player, with 4 junk speakers, not the Mach speakers. I am unhappy and need to change it out. I've gone to 3 car stereo places looking for suggestions, and got 3 different answers/prices so far. Being I'm a female, out shopping alone, without much knowledge, I wanna run their ideas by you guys before I take out my checkbook.

First guy said replace two front speakers with MB-Quarts (he said they're the best kind), and add a 6-CD changer to the trunk. He said he'd keep the factory radio in. He later said that there's no adapter to connect stuff to my factory radio because it is "so new". (??) ($500)

Second guy said he'd just stick a 10" Kicker subwoofer in a big ole' box in my trunk and stick a big ole 5 channel amp to the back of my backseat (??) This doesn't sound very attractive to me ! Not sure I want such big things hanging out in my trunk space or permanently attached to my backseat (what if I wanna fold my backseats down?) ($500)

The third guy said he'd replace the radio with a Pioneer radio, add 2 MTX (I think, something like that) speakers to the front door panels to replace the factory ones, and add a Pioneer 6 disc changer to the trunk. ($800)

Oh yeah, and I went to my Ford dealership inquiring about whether they could just put their factory 6-disc changer into the dash instead of the single disc changer I have now, and they said something about the adapter again, that it's not out yet, cuz it's so new, and my radio has MP3 player and all this stuff (which it does not have). I think these guys are confused when they say that about the adapter.

am I making any sense? Now, I'm looking on here in the Classifieds, and I see people selling their entire Mach 460 systems, and I am wondering "heck, should I just purchase that and bring it to someone to install?" Then I will feel more like I am driving the Premium GT. Please offer advice.

~Jennie

But some advice...

1) Don't even think of putting the Mach460 in your car - you can do much much better without too much hassle.

2) Since you have "standard" stereo, it's *easy* to replace.

3) Beware of those telling you what "the best" speakers are...the "best" speakers are the ones that sound good to YOU in your environment - speakers are very subjective and personal. The only requirement is that you match them up powerwise with whatever you're throwing at them.

4) I am *really* partial to Alpine decks. I strongly recommend them because I like their feature set and they sound fantastic.

All of that being said, and without being to brand specific, here's what I'd recommend that you do...

a) replace factory head unit with decent aftermarket unit.

b) replace rear deck speakers with some "decent" aftermarket 6x8's (they'll drop right in. Power them from the head unit directly (they're only for fill anyway).

c) install a *nice* set of components up front - this is your prime sound stage... There are many decent sets - some recommendations are: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's, CDT CL-61 or HD62, Focal K2 or K2P....these range in price from $199 - $500 for a set... do a search on www.sounddomain.com in their forums for more recommendations.

d) Buy a good 2-channel amp and run the components off of it - Preferably >75watts/channel RMS at minimal distortion level (again, I'm partial to Alpine, but there are many good brands out there for less money - Rockford Fosgate Power series are nice...beware of Sony).

e) If you *need* a subwoofer, that's a different animal - and more money. I suggest going without one, but during the install of the other components, make sure they run large enough power wire (4 gauge) and a set of RCA's so that you can just "plug in" a sub when you want without a huge install effort.

I'm very pleased with my setup - I ripped the Mach460 out of my Mach 1, and put the following in...it screams....

Alpine CDA-9811 (I'd do a 9815 if I was going to do it again!)
JBL GTO 8626 coaxials in rear for fill
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6x5" components up front
Alpine MRV-F540 80 watts RMS x 4 at 14.4v
Alpine MRD-M500 monoblock sub amp 500 w RMS at 2 ohms at 14.4v
2 x Polk 2104 10" subwoofers in a sealed QLogic box

thanks

Thank you for your advice. I like what you are saying, and I wondered why no one told me to replace the rear speakers. I think it sounds like a good setup. It makes sense. Nothing big and impractical. I likes it! Thanks! Will let you know what happens.

~Jenn

grodgers said:
But some advice...

1) Don't even think of putting the Mach460 in your car - you can do much much better without too much hassle.

2) Since you have "standard" stereo, it's *easy* to replace.

3) Beware of those telling you what "the best" speakers are...the "best" speakers are the ones that sound good to YOU in your environment - speakers are very subjective and personal. The only requirement is that you match them up powerwise with whatever you're throwing at them.

4) I am *really* partial to Alpine decks. I strongly recommend them because I like their feature set and they sound fantastic.

All of that being said, and without being to brand specific, here's what I'd recommend that you do...

a) replace factory head unit with decent aftermarket unit.

b) replace rear deck speakers with some "decent" aftermarket 6x8's (they'll drop right in. Power them from the head unit directly (they're only for fill anyway).

c) install a *nice* set of components up front - this is your prime sound stage... There are many decent sets - some recommendations are: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's, CDT CL-61 or HD62, Focal K2 or K2P....these range in price from $199 - $500 for a set... do a search on www.sounddomain.com in their forums for more recommendations.

d) Buy a good 2-channel amp and run the components off of it - Preferably >75watts/channel RMS at minimal distortion level (again, I'm partial to Alpine, but there are many good brands out there for less money - Rockford Fosgate Power series are nice...beware of Sony).

e) If you *need* a subwoofer, that's a different animal - and more money. I suggest going without one, but during the install of the other components, make sure they run large enough power wire (4 gauge) and a set of RCA's so that you can just "plug in" a sub when you want without a huge install effort.

I'm very pleased with my setup - I ripped the Mach460 out of my Mach 1, and put the following in...it screams....

Alpine CDA-9811 (I'd do a 9815 if I was going to do it again!)
JBL GTO 8626 coaxials in rear for fill
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6x5" components up front
Alpine MRV-F540 80 watts RMS x 4 at 14.4v
Alpine MRD-M500 monoblock sub amp 500 w RMS at 2 ohms at 14.4v
2 x Polk 2104 10" subwoofers in a sealed QLogic box

Remember too that the best thing you can do for yourself is to go to as many places as you can, with a cd of your favorite music, and just listen to as many different speakers and decks as possible. If you don't hear the difference between a $500 set of speakers and a $200 set, there's no reason to buy the more expensive ones.

FWIW, my setup consists of a Sony CDX-C90 deck and 210EQ equalizer (these was made before Sony started making that Xplod crap...I wouldn't recommend any of their current products), a Sony 10 disc changer (again, the good stuff), Focal Polykevlar 6.5" components up front, no rear speakers, and 2 A/D/S 12" subs, everything powered by PPI Art Series amps (can't get these anymore either).

Good luck!

the mach 460 is not very good.. my last gt was a deluxe and i loved it...its a tad lighter, you cant fit any big boxes in trunk either...i had tens in back..and had my amp mounted on a seat delete, when i had my deluxe i felt like u... i wanted premium, its actually way more work removing 460 to put in a nice system..unless u just tap your subs in

the mach 460 is not very good.. my last gt was a deluxe and i loved it...its a tad lighter, you cant fit any big boxes in trunk either...i had tens in back..and had my amp mounted on a seat delete, when i had my deluxe i felt like u... i wanted premium, its actually way more work removing 460 to put in a nice system..unless u just tap your subs in

none sound that great and rather expensive, u could just replace your 6x8 with goodones..get subs..and amp and a deck..for all under 800$ i'd search ebay, and hit the audio forums...to bad u dont live near me..i'd install 4u free

cheap audio site

www.savinglots.com
great selection and cheap prices

i would change out all four speakers for new 5x7s (or 6x8s; same size) infinitly make the best 5x7s IMO. i also am partial to alpine decks b/c of all the features. but if i were to do it all over, i would probably just add a Clarion deck that has a fold out 7" screen. it plays CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, and DVDs. also, i think at least one sub is necessary so you can channel all your bass to it, which means the 5x7s will only play mids and highs, making them cleaner and crisper sounding. at least one 10" is in order, or if you like the kickin bass, add two 12"s. i have two 10"s and they sound good. not too much bass, but enough to shake the mirrors. if i were to start over, i would get two 12"s. there are so many choices out there. please research everything b4 you pull out that checkbook. :D

well, im going to disagree with teh suggestion of alpine.... pioneer by far makes the best head unit, in my opinion. i have spoken to many, and almost all say pioneer is the far superior. i have no doubt that alpine would be fine, but pioneer is said to be better (and i agree).... as far as speakers and amps.... jl audio makes some AWESOME speakers that are really not that expensive. the component speakers my friend had in his stang (before it got wrecked) were SO awesome.... i had the best stereo in our school, till he got his. his head unit and sub killed my older models... but heres what he had, since yours IS for a stang, you could just follow what he got, and you will have one BADARSE stereo...
Pioneer DEH-P9400 Head Unit, JL12w6v2, JL R.I.P.S. 500/5 AMP, JL XR Components, & STREET WIRES 1 Farad Cap http://plaza.ufl.edu/swigly/web/stang/mods/system/system.htm
but, you dont have to get jl xr components, mine are TR, and they are just awesome (and cheaper...).... the amp, you can go with an alpine 5 channel, or the jl 500/5, both great amps.... and the sub, thats up to you, i have 1 8" w7, but he went with 1 12w6v2..... so its all personal preference... the farad cap is just to help ihis stang not lose power, so thats not even necessary. and also, a 6 cd changer? do you find it necessary? i just use the one cd in the head unit, and it makes me MORE than happy, i would hate to have to go into the truck or whatever to change my cds.... but yeah, thats my opinion....

i am going to have to vote for pioneer too. i have had great experienes with them. IMO as for speakers i would say just worry about your fronts,thats where 90% of your sound comes from. im only running fronts and nobody can tell at all. i would say go with a component set on a two channel amp and the maybe one 10" sub for your trunk that way you can still fit stuff in there. a good place to look is www.thezeb.com thats where i get most of my stuff, i have the CDT HD-62CF component set up front run off of a US Acoustics 2150 which is 150x2 @ 4ohms

Alpine makes a better deck than Pioneer IMO. I sold pioneer for a long time. Sold Kenwood. Dealt with alpine. I like kenwoods CD mechanism better than all three (and the fact that its sirius read)...but Alpine don't play around...good stuff.

As far as best components for the buck? Go with the CDT-CL61s they are great great speakers for 150 bucks. Far better value, again IMO, as compared to the JL's.

If you want a system that won't affect trunk space too much and won't be too flashy in cosmetics but will sound awesome:

CDT Audio CL-61a Competition Level Component speakers - $149
CDT Audio CL-5X 5.25" 2-way Full Range speakers - $44.99
US Acoustics USB4065 65Wx4 Amplifier - $134.95
US Acoustics USB600D 375Wx1 @ 2ohm Amplifier - $189.95
JL Audio Stealthbox with 10W3v2-D6 subwoofer @ 2ohms ~$250 on ebay
Eclipse CD5423 CD Reciever Head Unit - $289

Mount the stealthbox on the passenger side of the trunk. The amps could be mounted on the back of the backseat. So it would be about $1,000 with installation and wiring. But the sound system will sound awesome and it's well worth it.

KingDiamond said:
If you want a system that won't affect trunk space too much and won't be too flashy in cosmetics but will sound awesome:

Mount the stealthbox on the passenger side of the trunk. The amps could be mounted on the back of the backseat. So it would be about $1,000 with installation and wiring. But the sound system will sound awesome and it's well worth it.

That is a good system right there.

I agree with the above selection. You cant go wrong with CDT for the price. Dont count out the Focal Polyglass either. If you can afford it, get the Eclipse deck. Alpine and Pioneer make great decks that look cool but the Eclipse is a better product IMO. If you find a Eclipse deck for sale online, beware. They usually only sell through Eclipse dealers for warranty purposes. Buying from JimBobsaudio.com might net you a 90 day warranty instead of 1+ year.

That's a pretty bold statement. What's name brand, everything at BB or CC? The setup Kingdiamond listed is a great setup, but I would recommend getting a 2-channel amp for the CDT's, giving them about 100+ RMS each, and run the rear fill, if you decide to run them, off the HU. Everything else sounds good, and would be a great SQ setup.

Stealthbox

KingDiamond said:

Does anybody actually *have* one of the new StealthBoxes with the 10W3v2-D6 Sub? I'd *love* to put one in the trunk....actually, I'd *love* to load a stealthbox with a w7 and put it in the trunk. I'm running 2 x Polk MM2104's off alpine MRD-M500. They thump, but I'd like to get some trunk back.

If you have a StealthBox...How is:
1) Fit and Finish?
2) Sound quality

thnx!
Gary

Alpine CDA-9811
Alpine MRV-F540 (89x4 RMS)
Alpine MRD-M500 (591 x 1 RMS)
JBL 8606c Components (being replaced with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's)
JBL 8626 coaxials
Polk MM2104 (x2) in sealed Q-Logic box

My wife hates it all.

I heard one guy's stereo and he had the stealthbox and the bass was great. Not too loud and it could get very deep at times. I'm not sure if you could fit a W7 in the stealthbox since they're pretty long and it's heavy too. The stealthbox is made out of fiberglass so I'm not sure if it could handle it.

Hi, Thank you all for helping me out. I definitely know what "not" to get. I have good ideas of what to get, the best brands, etc. I saw the stealthbox in a catalog, I like it. I just got her windows tinted and got her some nice floormats. Going to get her a nice system put in. Would get her some HOTT rims if I had the extra money. Can't have everything, right? Maybe in the future! Sick of the Ford bashers telling me American cars are no good compared to foreign cars. I love my Mustang. They can stick it ! I have speed, sport, & style. What do they have?

KingDiamond said:
I heard one guy's stereo and he had the stealthbox and the bass was great. Not too loud and it could get very deep at times. I'm not sure if you could fit a W7 in the stealthbox since they're pretty long and it's heavy too. The stealthbox is made out of fiberglass so I'm not sure if it could handle it.