Give Me Traction !

My '66 Fastback has a Roush 342 stroker with the Dynaflow TB injection setup. It makes 408 rwhp and 470 ft lb torque. Has a T5 and LSD 8". 600 lb front springs and Cobra Automotive rear - koni's, leaf springs, Global West shackel bushes and rose jointed under rider bars.

When the torque comes on in 2nd gear it starts wheel spinning and won't stop until I back off (195/14 tires)

The car is not set up for drag racing, it is set up for corner carving, and thats how I'd like to keep it. Any views on what I can do to tame it ?

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Sponsors (?)

There are not any high performance tires made for a 14" wheels. BFG Radial T/As and the like are mediocre at best. You are going to have to step up to a larger wheel to get decent tires. Even in the 15" size choices are very limited unless you are willing to go to drag radials which are lousy for cornering.

If you are not willing to change tires then the best thing you can do for traction is a set of Calvert Racing mono leaf springs and traction devices. They will compromise your handling to an extent but they are the best bolt on traction device available. Period. I have a set on my 68 vert which has 580 ft/lbs of torque and even with 215/70-14 BFG T/As I can get it to hook up OK. Don't get me wrong - if I hammer it the tires come loose but I've run these tires on other cars and they just go up in smoke if you tap the throttle.