Glad To Be Here From Texas

loyalblue

Jun 8, 2013
Katy, TX
Well, I'm from Houston - born and raised. I graduated from Texas Tech in 2009 with a degree in Finance and I'm currently an Accountant in commercial real estate. I've been out of the hot-rod scene for about 15 years. Prior to that I've owned 4 built Mustangs - a '90 LX, '65 Fastback GT350, '91 GT and an '88 LX...learned how to turn wrenches on a FoxBody. I currently have fun messing around with my '99 Duratec Sable. I swear it's a fun car to work on, easy too. Since I left the hot-rod scene in '03 I had a stint on a '05 GSX-R1000 (pretty much the fastest thing I've ever owned); damn that bike was fast!
Recently I've gotten the itch to build another motor. I was on Craigslist the other day and picked up a 302 roller block...about to have it cleaned and checked for cracks. This motor is going to be my symphony. I'm sparing no expense with the internals. I'm going with a forged bottom-end w/ H-beam rods. I plan on throwing a supercharger on it so cam, air, and fuel delivery will be based on that endgame.
I thought I'd join the StangNet community so I can start picking people's brains and finding out what works and doesn't...I'd also like to meet some new people that share the same passion as me in regards to the greatest sports car ever built. The (FoxBody) Ford Mustang...though we all have our preferences. Thanks for the opportunity to join your community, I look forward to it all!

• Sponsors (?)

Recently I've gotten the itch to build another motor. I was on Craigslist the other day and picked up a 302 roller block...about to have it cleaned and checked for cracks. This motor is going to be my symphony. I'm sparing no expense with the internals. I'm going with a forged bottom-end w/ H-beam rods. I plan on throwing a supercharger on it so cam, air, and fuel delivery will be based on that endgame.
l!
Do yourself a favor, don't waste the money on the internals with the "sparing no expense". The block will split in half long before the forged bottom end goes Kaput. Buy a Scat cast steel crank and rods, they will take all of the abuse the block can handle and cost a whole lot less than all of the high dollar forged stuff. You limit is about 450rwhp with that block to be reliable. Also keep the rpm's below 6K to help keep it together. Save all of that "no expense spared" money for a Dart block, something that can out live the rotating assembly.

Edit: BTW.........welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Thanks Bullitt347...that's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. So as far as my set-up I have in mind right now is:
TrickFlow 170 61cc (fully ported)
TrickFlow stage 2 cam (it makes power to 6K, will that be too close to splitting that motor?)
GT40 Tubular (I think it's the best looking intake ever and I've had them on previous cars)
My question is will that intake be able to breathe enough through the power band of that cam?
I've always gone with an alphabet cam in the past, but I'm tired of those, I want something a little more aggressive.
I'm not dead set on any of these parts...this is just where I'm starting and what I like now. As I analyze the research and advice I get....all of this is subject to change.
Anyway, thanks again for setting me straight on the block. Anyone else, feel free to chime on recommendations...I have a blank canvas right now.