glass-packs

fastbackchaseca

Feb 19, 2006
Sac-tizzle
I'm doing the usual 2 cylinder conversion to my '66 coupe in the form of a mildly built 289. I'd been pretty much sold on an x pipie and short glass-packs to go behind my hooker comp long tube headers. When i was talking to a couple guys out at the mustangs in the park show saturday, i was told a couple different things... a couple guys said glass-packs sound like crap on a small block w/o a bumpity cam... too raspy and such. the other guys i talked to said it shouldnt be a problem as long as i kept the system short and ran an x. i dont have any issue with it being too loud, i just want the gear drive whine to not totally drown out the exhaust.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a few things you should know about glass packs. Yea, they sound nice when new. As they age, they get louder. The shorter they are the louder they are. Longer they are the quieter they are. I've seen em anywhere from 12" to 36" long ( maybe up to 40's, i forget) Never tried em with an X pipe, but that will quieten it down some, but as they get older, the above will still be true. If you've got an off road truck, they're pretty much indestructable. Run long tailpipes over the axle and that will also tone em down. Most I've heard, they all create more back pressure than turbo's.

I have glass packs, balance pipe, and stock exhaust manifolds on my 68 289 (9:1 comp, stock cam). Even though its a vert, it sounds aggressive without being too loud. You'll like it. My neighbors do.

maybe I can be of service...here is a video of my car doing a burnout, I have long tube headers which bolt strait up to turndown glasspacks (purple hornies) IMO they sound pretty good, the mods are listed in my sig so you can compare them to yours and get an idea of how it will sound..I hope this helps.
(I appologise for the quality, my buddy took it on his camera phone):nice:

http://media.putfile.com/Burnout-36

years ago i put 30" glasspacks on my 66 coupe with a mild 289, and it sounded fine. like DH said though they tend to get louder with age, so go as long as you can. as i recall 30" was the longest that would fit in my car, we tried 36" ones but they just didnt fit without clearance issues in several places, including the ground, regardless of where we tried putting them. as stated also, run the pipes out the back rather than use turn downs in front of the axle, or exit in front of the tires as you will be much happier with the sound.