GM, Nissan, and Toyota, Oh My? Possible Merger?

All of the big three say their hurting and are to far in debt. But, the truth is when you're a major corp. you are never really out of debt. Research, developement, quality control, testing, advertising, chairity donation, sponsorships, racing, CEO's, meeting outings and not to mention the cost of operating, overhead, new buildings, maintenance, security, recalls, and a hole lot more. These guys know there is no such thing as getting out of the black(debt). It's all just a game to save more money and not have to pay back some of the debt they owe! That's all this is, a chance to jump on the bandwangon and cry, we can't do it we need to file bankrupt. Start fresh and not have to pay back some of the money we owed. Then they claim they need help to cover up the want to partner with other companies to deffer some of that profit they don't want seen yet.
Maybe it's just me and I'm crazy but, alot of people here and over sea's buy american cars. The companies just don't want to reduce the price of their cars so they "partner" with the compition and in the end the partnered company increases the cost of the car. It's history baby. They've done it before and their doing it agian.

• Sponsors (?)

I read an article that stated that the reason the big 3 are doomed is because of the auto labor unions. Early on they wanted secure retirement for retiries so now at GM for every 1 working employee they are paying benifts for 4 people. The employee and 3 retiries. Ford isnt much better off.

At the plant I work at we make several Toyota interiors. I do not think toyota would merge. They gave my company 2 million dollars to setup a production line to run parts if the other company that competes against us went out of bussiness. That way they would still be able to produce enough cars, and we did not even make 1 part on that line. They also gave that company a huge loan to keep the doors open longer and run the parts. I think Toyota is doing WELL. We are getting ready to make the Tundra ext. cab and double cab trucks very soon. We have about ten Toyota lines in my plant..

I know the worker union thing is what is killing them. If they had put money aside back in the day, this problem wouldn't exist.

My grandmother still gets pension money from my grandfather's old jobs, but they are not directly through those companies, they are through a trust type of thing. Of course it cost them back then, but it isn't thier problem anymore.

It's more than the Unions that killed the automotive economy (in America.) Let's not forget the cost of healthcare and retirement. Inflated salaries abound in my neck of the woods (The Motor City) and these things are only the key points.

I would also like to point out that NAFTA was when it really started to come apart for us.

Renault/Nissan are looking at buying 20% of GM in a partnership, Toyota is looking at blocking this buy doing something to help GM since Nissan is their arch rival. Toyota and GM have a working relationship as it is. A Toyota insider recently said that if GM fails Toyota believes there will be a backlash against Japanese automakers, and will do what it can to keep GM from folding to avoid any backlash. I had an indepth conversation with a toyota employee tonight about what hes hearing, and he said theyre being told Toyota wont buy into GM, but work even closer them.

RycheGT said:
Renault/Nissan are looking at buying 20% of GM in a partnership, Toyota is looking at blocking this buy doing something to help GM since Nissan is their arch rival. Toyota and GM have a working relationship as it is. A Toyota insider recently said that if GM fails Toyota believes there will be a backlash against Japanese automakers, and will do what it can to keep GM from folding to avoid any backlash. I had an indepth conversation with a toyota employee tonight about what hes hearing, and he said theyre being told Toyota wont buy into GM, but work even closer them.

So it's kind of like the US and UK working togeather with the USSR in WWII? Kind of like the French and US alliance durring the revolutionary war against the UK. Not that your really freinds, but you have a common enemy. I would have to say Ford is the Nazi here, a copyright nazi. I would have to say the Z06 must feel like the A-bomb after wooping on ford's supercar.

I was talking about what FORD and GM actually built as a production car. Z06 is production, while the GT never made it to production numbers and is already cancled. Saleen, that's a saleen and yes it uses some Ford parts but not entirly Ford, plus they are not production, and I am sure there are plenty of variations GM has to woop in it. Face it, factory for factory, GM has always busted Fords ass, except a few times, and those times were when GM stepped outside. Remeber, GM got out of drag racing because they thought thier sponcership was contributing to the deaths on the street. That is why the GTO was so popular, they broke thier own rule.

90mustangGT said:
I was talking about what FORD and GM actually built as a production car. Z06 is production, while the GT never made it to production numbers and is already cancled. Saleen, that's a saleen and yes it uses some Ford parts but not entirly Ford, plus they are not production, and I am sure there are plenty of variations GM has to woop in it. Face it, factory for factory, GM has always busted Fords ass, except a few times, and those times were when GM stepped outside. Remeber, GM got out of drag racing because they thought thier sponcership was contributing to the deaths on the street. That is why the GTO was so popular, they broke thier own rule.

The GT was a nitch vehicle and was only planned for 2 years of production. GM pulled out of all auto racing, not just drag racing.

I was talking about the GT (it should be badged Saleen...it was a joke). The GT is hand built by Saleen in his Michigan plant. I have been there. Our plant sent all of our engineers and quality department there. But the Gt was not canceled it was a limited run from the beginning.

90mustangGT said:
We'll see how the Z06 holds next to a GT 500 Shelby once lightly modified, but at the same cost of the Z06.

You guys saw the wiegth of the GT500 compared to the vet?Around 500lbs (I saw somewere the the vet is 3100lbs and the GT500 a whooping 3900lbs,but Ill say its closer to 3600lbs [I hope])

The new Z06 hmm....big cam,take the traction control off,and put slicks on it.Instant mid 10's.