Go new or work with what I have?

MCollum

Feb 5, 2004
Im looking for some others POV on whether i should get a new engine and transmission or work with what i have.

I have a automatic 1995 3.8 now tipping the scales at 133,000 miles. I am 18 and bringing in about 2000 a month. But only till i start going full time to college next Fall. I like my car but am wondering if it is going to hold up for the next four years. And i wouldnt mind adding a little pepp to it. But is it worth it on the '95 with high miles? so i am thinking about looking into just a 00+ engine and a rebuilt tranny or new one, but so far am overwhelmed. Anyhow Any insights or constructive comments would be helpfull. :bang:

btw: i thought about stepping up to a v8 but i am just assumeing that the insurance would be a little to high and maitinence and all the other upgrades i would need to take my v6 to a v8 would be staggering. So i figure a v6 would help insurance, maitinence, upkeep, and gas manageable during the upcoming poor college years.

• Sponsors (?)

well, if you swap in a v8, your insurance doesn't change, b/c it only covers what's on the VIN.

It would be kinda useless, and a huge pain to swap in a newer v6. but you have about 67K still left out of that engine, as long as the head gaskets don't blow. if you want to put a sixer back in, i'd go with the same year/engine. you could contact jasper and get a rebuilt, maybe beef it up a bit and drop it back in. With a newer six, you'll have to change fuel system etc...

It really depends on what you want from the car. If all you want is good reliability and are not building for a hobby/goal, then you just want it to run. That is pretty much where I am and I just bought a '95 manual with 103,000. Were it me (and what I plan to do), I would run a compression test and try to get a general read on the health of the engine.

If the compression is high and even through the engine, I would run it until it died. Take care of the engine, and you may get the extra 67,000 miles out of it. Be anal about fluid changes and periodic maintenance. Even with heavy driving, 67,000 could last a few years.

For the tranny, do a fluid change yourself and look at the bottom of the pan. If you are seeing metal, you will have a bill soon. If it still shifts strong, and there is no worrysome sediment in the pan, run it until it dies as well. I am not sure it helps, but I like to use the Valvoline fluid designed for high mileage transmissions.

Put the money you might spend in a bank account in the event something does happen.

133,000 miles is nothing for a V6 Mustang engine. I've heard that these engines can go 400,000 miles WITHOUT rebuilding. I knew a guy who used to own a 1992 hatchback 4 cylinder Mustang that he bought used in 1994 with only 30,000 miles on it. This guy had this car up until 2000. When he traded it in it had over 368,000 miles on it. And he NEVER rebuilt the engine or the transmission. He always changed the oil every 3,000 miles on it and fixed only wear and tear items on the car. With 368,000 miles on the engine, it only burned 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. That's it. No other problems. So, if the original owner before you took care of the car and if you also take care of it you should get 300,000+ plus miles out of the engine and transmission without any problems.

I am curious to find out from others in here if they know anyone who owns a V6 Mustang that has over 300,000 and 400,000 miles on it with the original engine and original transmission in it? The engine and transmission have to be original and NEVER rebuilt.

i just put another v6 in my 95 5 spd because i had a bad knock at 82000. i got the motor out of a flipped 98 model stang for 500. it was a 2000 model engine from the ford factory and it came with the intakes wiring harness and all. it has the balancing shaft in it and eveything. the insurance would not go up on the car if you put a v8 instead of the v6 as long as you don't tell the insurance people.