Going back to stock radio

danny g

Founding Member
Sep 23, 1999
Hi guys, I am bringing my 92 gt convertible back to a stock interior. Previous owner had an aftermarkert radio head unit with a detachable face....and lost the face. I am looking at the 87-92 mustang radios on ebay. Some of them have an empty cubby underneath and some of them are twice the size and have equalizers and such. How do I know which one came stock? I have car with 6 speakers as opposed to 4. It has almost all the options leather power everything. Is there some way to tell by the vin? If I cant find out I think Ill go with the smaller unit. I like having the space underneath to throw my wallet/phone into.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks...i figured that might be the case. I took the old aftermarket radio out. I can see the harness was spliced up. If I buy an oem radio off ebay and bring it to a car audio shop do you think they can hook it up....or will I have to buy a junkyard harness as well?

Hopfully when the previous owner installed the aftermarket radio in they used an adapter which the original harness plugged into. If not im sure any radio installation place can just rewire it not a big deal.

Not all Premium sound radios came with the equalizer. That's an option.

First thing you need to do is peek behind the radio and see if the amp and wiring harness are present. If the plugs are in good shape, this could be plug and play. If it's hacked up, you'll have issues.

I made this thread a long time ago. Unsure if any is of use to you

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...emium-sound-stereo-into-87-92-mustang.833958/

Yes, I had read that post before and it was helpful. I just picked up an am/fm casette with the storage from a 92 mustang on ebay. No equalizer as I would rather have the storage. If i recall correctly it should be premium sound as i believe there were two harnesses. Gonna bring this radio to local car audio shop and see if they can hook it up. I am by no means a big audiophile. I just want something basic, and I like the stock look.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...sound-stereo-into-87-92-mustang.833958/page-2

post already added by the op of it. BUT page 2 post by benphram shows wiring for a regular radio with the cubby underneath, page three with my added pic shows the wiring for the equalizer radio. just have to compare to your harness to see which one was in there. usually the wires are not spliced but rather there is an aftermarket harness attached to the factory and that may have splices in it.

If you haven't already done so, look under the back seat and see if the build sheet is still there. Mine was although it was a little worn. I could still easily see how the car was equipped from the factory. I had it laminated for safety.

I found a set of blue plastic keys under the rea seat. I gues so you could make a copy for a new set if you lost the old ones. But no build sheet. That would have been sweet. My used radio is coming via ups today. Hopefully it just connects up. If not I'll just take it down to the car stereo shop. Prob wouldnt cost much to have them hook it up. Generally i like to do things myself but stereo stuff never really interested me.