Going Classic...possibly

• Sponsors (?)

I kept the late model when we bought our classic. Soooo glad too-it's been since Nov 02 working on the Mach and I'd completely miss the 00 if we didn't keep it. But I wouldn't have bought the mach if I had to sell my vert. It's great to have a reliable cruiser to hop in and take out whenever-not sure when the Mach will ever be like that...

electricgreen said:
I kept the late model when we bought our classic. Soooo glad too-it's been since Nov 02 working on the Mach and I'd completely miss the 00 if we didn't keep it. But I wouldn't have bought the mach if I had to sell my vert. It's great to have a reliable cruiser to hop in and take out whenever-not sure when the Mach will ever be like that...

I'd love to keep my '00, but I just don't have the garage space in my current house. I have my aforementioned Supercrew, my wife drives a soon-to-be-sold Jeep and I have my '00. So...add one more to the mix and my house will start to look like a small used car lot.

If it helps at all- none of the cars you ever look at will ever be the way you want them, and half the fun about classics is making it the way you wanted it in the first place-

If the price is right, the rust is little, and the car has the potential- I say go for it!!!

That's what I'm thinking. The only hangup is that I cannot not actually purchase it until my '00 is sold. I talked to the guy selling it to find out why he's selling it (space, money, etc.) Turns out space is the issue...which is something I can deal with. I told him that if I like the car after I get a good chance to look it over and we work a deal, then I'd cut a check for some "good-faith" money for him to hold the vehicle for me. I'd rent storage space to hold it until my car sold. At that point, I'd complete the transaction.

He said that was a strong candidate/option. The seller's two options are some guy several states over that'll pay something now to hold it and then ship it later. His last option is that there is a scheduled pickup for the car to take it to auction on Friday. So, time is of the essence with this one. The only problem is that my anniversary is this weekend and so is my daughter's birthday. There isn't enough time in the week for all of this!!

Red, if this one doesn't work out, don't worry, there will be another one. The problem you have right now, just as yours is coming into the peak selling season, so are classics. Also remember, as they get older, they go up in value, unlike a contemporary car which goes down.

Lastly, be very careful when buying. Remember, these cars are 36 years and older, so mechanically and body wise, there could be issues. The one think you may want to think about, 65 and 66's have tons of parts out there. As the years go up, certain parts are harder to come by.

I still own both, but for a weekend car, prefer the classic and not to mention the cheap insurance rates. Can you say $200 a year for full coverage, including agreed value.

Good luck in your search.

I think another part is to plan out exactly what you want. If you want a project car, then lay out a budget etc . . . the worst thing is to get caught in a huge project because, well I have the motor out so I might as well do the front suspension . . . or since the interior is out, I might as well tackle the floorpans. Pretty soon the whole car is apart, taking two garages and shows no sign of slowing. I just recently got done with my falcon after 2 years of doing more than I set out to do. So plan ahead, and decide what you are capable of doing yourself in the space alotted and the tools you own.

Hell, I'm still looking and still trying to sell. The looking part is fun, the selling part sucks.

I found a 65 fastback that's being offered in the $12's. It's nothing special beyond a 289 2V, but it is a fastback in the $12's. I've been told that one of the quarter panels has been patched, but needs redone, needs a little trunk work, but not bad, and the floors are good, except for one spotunder the passenger side. Torque boxes, frame rails, and rest of car is in "great shape." Mechanically, the car is good.

I'm seeing auctions of rust-bucket fastbacks going for $4-7k and nice fastbacks going for $18k+

$12 seems like a good number for the car.

Then, I found a '67 coupe that's being offered for $5k. The car has minor paint bubbeling around some of the fenders, but that's about it. Interior is sharp. It's a "C" code.

I'm not set on either, but the fastback would be much more valuable when done. Both sellers have been straight forward (from what I can tell) with what is good and bad about these two vehicles. Any thoughts?

If you have a daily driver you can live with listen to that voice inside your head and buy the car you really want. If you are handy with tools,half of the fun is working on your prize!Don't be afraid to upgrade to things such as better brakes,suspension,and steering,there is so much available today.And in the horsepower dept,the sky is the limit,but the beauty of a classic Mustang is the inherent simplicity.The Classics lines will never go out of style,they will always be stared at,and someone will always want to buy it from you

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    30.8 KB · Views: 77