Going for canyon run/sprint on wednesday, anything to look for?

Joe_Gramm

May 13, 2006
Well I have taken "canyon cruises" in my 2002 gt vert, but I now want to take it out and see what it can really do. I have never really pushed this car to its limits, and am wondering how it will take it.

To give you alittle backround on myself, I have been racing cars my whole life, curently I am racing a e36 m3 that is not street legal. So i know how to drive, and do it right.

Now this is my street car, that I just picked up, and have not really pushed it at all, I have stayed below 90mph, a few wot freeways entries, but nothing crazy, yet. I am the second owner, it was about 65,000 miles and is stock for now.

Now to my question, what should I look for when beating on it, will the brakes hold, how do they deal with heat, will I get alot of fade. Can I beat the **** out of the brakes, as in hard braking into the corners. And just everything else on the car, will it give out. what are the most common characteristics for the car, understeer, oversteer, both?

Thanks
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Joe_Gramm said:
wondering how it will take it.

It won't.

Joe_Gramm said:
racing a e36 m3 that is not street legal.

Expect about half the performance of what you're used to.

Joe_Gramm said:
what should I look for when beating on it, will the brakes hold,

With 65k miles, you'd better first check if you still have any pads left. Then put some new ones on....then drive it like you forgot to tighten down the calipers

You're gonna kill yourself in a stock vert.

Okay so I went out on wednesday, and well the brakes suck, no braking power and plenty of fade... The tires like to make alot of noise when your in the curves, and the biggest thing, IT'S SO SLOW!

Although I did get it to about 130mph (on a closed road of course)

Now time to start modding, with suspension and brakes being first!

Joe_Gramm said:
Okay so I went out on wednesday, and well the brakes suck, no braking power and plenty of fade... The tires like to make alot of noise when your in the curves, and the biggest thing, IT'S SO SLOW!

Although I did get it to about 130mph (on a closed road of course)

Now time to start modding, with suspension and brakes being first!

Your best bet is to install some SFC's, new shocks and stiffer springs in that vert. The beast will handle much better after that (I know mine did). The verts are sprung for a softer ride from the factory. Otherwise you will have a lot of oversteer, flex and body roll when doing any high-speed cornering.