going to buy a CAI for my fender. suggestions

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
since i pulled a code saying my mass air ground is messed. im just going to take this as a sign to junk that mass air and move it down into the fender :D

i was told C&L? is complete junk. and steer clear from them. and that pro-m wasnt bad. any suggestions/links to some setups that mount down in my fenderwell? or that would work good with my setup?

pictures are appreciated :flag:

thanks again
derek

• Sponsors (?)

You seem confused, or I totally missed your point.

A CAI doesn't move your MAF into the fender, just the air filter. Unless you get an AFM PowerPipe, as those actally move the MAF into the fender.

You can get a MAC, BBK or anything else you can find to put your filter in the fender, they're all the same damn thing with a different name on the package.

My old MAC cold air kit, before I got my blower w/a Powerpipe:

engine2.jpg

They help by pushing cold air into the engine. Cold air = more power. By putting the MAF into the fender, it makes the engine read colder air, which = even more power

302@12psi said:
What does that do for you power wise? Anything I cant see how that helps at all

well no. hardly anything. maybe when im at 50+mph itll help a slight bit.
maybe i didnt word it right.
but i want to move the filter to the fender. AND get a new M/A sensor also.
sorry for the confusion.

I've got a mac, and it does just fine, and I had a bbk on my old one and it did just fine also. as for the c&l I've heard alot of pro's and con's about it. I think alot of it has to do with how good of shape your maf sensor is in before you get the c&L.

as said before, it doesnt matter what you get, they are all pretty much the same. if you dont care about looks, get the moroso kit. it goes just from your MAF to the fender and is black plastic, blends in really well looks almost stock. i had it on my 91 and it gave me a slight benefit, but mostly just a cool whooshing sound when i cracked the throttle

mansonozz said:
You seem confused, or I totally missed your point.

A CAI doesn't move your MAF into the fender, just the air filter. Unless you get an AFM PowerPipe, as those actally move the MAF into the fender.

You can get a MAC, BBK or anything else you can find to put your filter in the fender, they're all the same damn thing with a different name on the package.

My old MAC cold air kit, before I got my blower w/a Powerpipe:

engine2.jpg

They help by pushing cold air into the engine. Cold air = more power. By putting the MAF into the fender, it makes the engine read colder air, which = even more power

i am with you dave...i think i missed something too :(

but i have the mac cai and it works fine...looks just like the above pic

and i have a pro-m and i have had no problems with it....many people say theirs is picky and has to be on just so but mine doesn't seem to notice a difference one way or another :nice:

yeah get a mac, basically for looks, i have heard many cars and seen many cars that have teh BBK and it rattles against the strut tower..and its soo annooying...if u look thru cardomain sometime u see people with a rag or something around the cai where it touches the strut tower. my friend also has this prob. just go with mac but dont expect much.

you guys misunderstood me :p
i want a new mass air SENSOR. and a CAI to put the filter in the fender.
i dont really care which cai i get. its just a tube.. cant make a difference either way.

but which sensor do you suggest?
im leaning toward getting a pro-m.. just need to figure out if the fuel injectors on my fox are stock or not before i place the order

heres what im lookin at: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=45243&prmenbr=361

the main reason im doing this is because when i scanned for codes. we picked up one saying my mass air ground was bad. and my car starts up horribly when cold. and he said my mass air is probably crapping out on me

so what do you guys think of these pro-ms?

pro-m all the way if your going to mod the rest of your car but if your planning on keeping it stock the c&l will work. I personally like pro-m over c&l cause there calibrated for different conditions such as stock, fenderwell or straight cai kits, blower type applications. And because of this you tend to have less problems and more compatiability, than the c&l counterparts.