Chandler, AZ
2001 GT - 19k miles - Already have Hypertech Programer for Speed Calibration

Here's what I'll order from www.gefracing.com:

1. 4.10 RING GEAR & PINION - FORD RACING - $139.95
2. RING & PINION INSTALL KIT - $38.50
3. FRICTION MODIFIER - $3.50
4. ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT - $147.95

Anything missing?
Anything unncessesary? (i.e. ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT )
Anything overpriced?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't imagine a 5 speed mustang with 4.10 gears unless maybe your running some really tall slicks? I can maybe see it with the automatics. I would certainly like to run one of these with my 3.55s. They really seem low enough for my 5 speed and stock size tires. Let me know if your all that happy after the install. Under normal drivein conditions I really don't need first gear with the 3.55 gear.

menasci said:
2001 GT - 19k miles - Already have Hypertech Programer for Speed Calibration

Here's what I'll order from www.gefracing.com:

1. 4.10 RING GEAR & PINION - FORD RACING - $139.95
2. RING & PINION INSTALL KIT - $38.50
3. FRICTION MODIFIER - $3.50
4. ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT - $147.95

Anything missing?
Anything unncessesary? (i.e. ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT )
Anything overpriced?

No, everything looks good. I am interested to see how your install goes. I have thought about installing mine myself. For $38 you can't beat the price if you can do it. Have you ever installed a gear before? Do You have some instruction you are going to follow?

Please let me know how the install goes as I have a set of gears but have been hesitating installing them because of the price. If yours goes well I will give it a shot.

By the way, the 4:10 gear is great. I had them in my last Mustang and I am putting them in my new one.

gsixl said:
I think the 4.10s would be great with knobby tires then you could hire out pulling stumps. Just don't tie on to that rubber bumper.

Do a search on gears and start reading. Some NA do not like 4.10s for daily driver in a 5 speed. 95 % love them and have no problems. Some want 4.30s. 4.10s are not to much for normal driving conditions. This thread may even get where others have. 1st gear is not useless with 4.10s or 4.30s. Most of the fastest mustangs, NA have 4.10s or 4.30s. There may be a time when you get well into the 12s that a taller tire is required at the track.
IMHO 3.73 is the absolute bottom end for gears, I love the 4.10s and really wonder about the 4.30s. :nice:

forpit2000gt said:
Do a search on gears and start reading. Some NA do not like 4.10s for daily driver in a 5 speed. 95 % love them and have no problems. Some want 4.30s. 4.10s are not to much for normal driving conditions. This thread may even get where others have. 1st gear is not useless with 4.10s or 4.30s. Most of the fastest mustangs, NA have 4.10s or 4.30s. There may be a time when you get well into the 12s that a taller tire is required at the track.
IMHO 3.73 is the absolute bottom end for gears, I love the 4.10s and really wonder about the 4.30s. :nice:

I don't need to search and read. I am not a sheep that will follow you all over the edge. I get 23 mpg and would love to race anyone with a 4.10 gear.

gsixl said:
I don't need to search and read. I am not a sheep that will follow you all over the edge. I get 23 mpg and would love to race anyone with a 4.10 gear.
I'm glad to have someone new on the boards that knows everything. I will be PMing you often for advise..... :nonono:
I wish Kansas was closer so I could be the one to race you. If you race someone that is a decent driver, you will get beat with the same mods. It will not be a rape, but you will lose. I have found that you can be an idiot or you can use this place to learn. You don't have to put the same mods as everyone else, but you also should take time to see what proven mods do on cars like yours. I don't think many, if any would say that NA, 3.55 is not enough gear. :D

If I had to do it over again, 4.30's - our cars love to rev - gears seem to be as much about personal preference as anything, but absolutely no problem with the 4.10's in my case. More than freeway RPM's I'd say that shifting between 1-2 & 2-3 on local roads is more of a PITA. Otherwise, it just makes the car feel like the power is right there when you hit the gas.

My .02.

In my 5.0 experience, the aluminum driveshaft was a must with the gear change; the factory balance is crap on the OE shaft, shakes like a mofo at higher speeds (85 & up). I'm going to 4.10's or 4.30's in my Cobra & am planning on the ds at the same time.

forpit2000gt said:

In a five speed Mustang with the 3.35 first gear t-5 and 4.10's I found first gear to be problematic on a hard launch. I was hitting the red line in a blink of a eye. When I rebuilt the transmission I went with the 2.95 1st gear set and that made for really nice controllable and quick launches

jas142 said:
Why are you getting an aluminum driveshaft?

They're stronger, better balanced, and lighter (less parasitic drag = more rwhp). I just wish I had some extra money when I did my gears. :nonono:

Oh and gsixl....... 3.55 = :owned: . There's a reason that nobody that's staying NA goes with 3.55's: we know that we'll NEVER trap at speeds close to 129 mph, which is what 3.55's are good for with stock diameter tires. Please do yourself a favor. Go and drive a 99+ GT that has 4.10's and then tell me that you honestly still like your 3.55's. You don't understand it until you drive one. Not trying to flame, just don't knock it till you try it. :nice:

ok, 4.10s work great in these cars and is definately not too much gear, unless your planning on getting a power adder, if so get 3.73's. 3.55's almost seem like they wouldnt be enough? The install is very tedious and i wouldnt do it unless i was a mechanic, this is usually not a do it yourself install, actually i only know a few people who have. the driveshaft is not neccesary but definately will not hurt!

COLFLAG said:
In a five speed Mustang with the 3.35 first gear t-5 and 4.10's I found first gear to be problematic on a hard launch. I was hitting the red line in a blink of a eye. When I rebuilt the transmission I went with the 2.95 1st gear set and that made for really nice controllable and quick launches

1st does go by quickly with me. I spin quite a bit too with the stock tires. I'm sure Drag Radials would help ALOT, though. :lol:

If all I did was drag the quarter mile and my car was strictly a drag car, I would welcome some 4.10 or 4.30 gears and a nice set of slicks. I can't hold traction with the 3.55s why would I want a lower gear? Lets hear from all the sheep that have installed 4.10s to only regret it later. Yes I am an idiot but at least I didn't pay some one else to install my gears wrong! Did it myself and they certainly don't whine or growl or clunk.

gsixl said:
If all I did was drag the quarter mile and my car was strictly a drag car, I would welcome some 4.10 or 4.30 gears and a nice set of slicks. I can't hold traction with the 3.55s why would I want a lower gear? Lets hear from all the sheep that have installed 4.10s to only regret it later. Yes I am an idiot but at least I didn't pay some one else to install my gears wrong! Did it myself and they certainly don't whine or growl or clunk.

Wow, you are extremely arrogant. Do a search on here, seriously... look at how many threads you'll get saying "I love my 4.10s!!!" As for the install, who cares who does it. I paid a mechanic to do it and it got done right the first time. Some people just don't want to mess with it. Now, stop trolling this forum and go somewhere else.