Gonna get a shifter - which brand?

Well, I've decided my next mod will be a shifter. And I need your advice! I've driven my co-workers '00 GT with a Pro 5.0, and I wasn't really impressed. Please keep in mind I'm not here to knock the product, I just have next to no experience with aftermarket shifters. Anyway, I definitely liked the shorter throws, but it felt very notchy, and had a chep, plasticky 'clink' sound upon hitting the stoppers. It wasn't nearly as smooth as the stock shifter on my Bullitt, which just glides into gear by comparison to the almost grinding feel of the Pro 5.0. Is this normal and just something I would have to get used to, or can I expect better results with a Tri-ax or other brand?

• Sponsors (?)

They're all pretty much the same. I have a Pro 5.0 and love it, and I've driven a Tri-Ax and B&M ripper and both feel pretty much the same.

Everyone has their personal preference, you'll probably fall in love with whatever you get.

i dont know if it is to the extent of what you describe, but most aftermarket shifter are notchy and not smooth. I personaly like that, makes it feel more mechanical and like you feel the transmition better. I have a Steeda Tri-ax and i love it. The one great thing it does is it illiminates 3rd gear missing.

I have the Steeda Tri-Ax and I love it!

Btw.. short throws are generally not smooth because you take out most of what makes the stock one smooth (the rubber that connects the handle and the shifter). I know with the tri-ax there is absolutely no rubber there which means its not flimsy at all but the shifts are hard and sturdy feeling. Some of the other short throws do have a small rubber piece there though.

christiesledd said:
I have the Steeda Tri-Ax and I love it!

Btw.. short throws are generally not smooth because you take out most of what makes the stock one smooth (the rubber that connects the handle and the shifter). I know with the tri-ax there is absolutely no rubber there which means its not flimsy at all but the shifts are hard and sturdy feeling. Some of the other short throws do have a small rubber piece there though.

Exactly. When you switch to a short throw shifter you get rid of the rubber piece in the handle. Without that you have a direct connection to the transmission. This gives you that notchy stiff feel.

MGW, Steeda, B&M, and Pro 5.0 are really the only shifters you should consider. I have the MGW and absolutely love it. Smooth and quiet, and the 360 degree adjustablity is a nice feature as well.