Good brake upgrade?

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by SVTCobra66, Dec 7, 2003.

1. SVTCobra66

SVTCobra66 Founding Member

I think my rotors are warped, and i'm in need of new pads, so i was thinking i might upgrade the rotors/calipers or something along those lines. anyone have any suggestions or advice? Slotted/cross drilled, etc? I have 16" rims, don't know if that matters. Thanks
    Chris
  2. Cali03Boss

Cali03Boss New Member

Baer brake kits rule...if u really want some performance that is
  3. stallion98gt

stallion98gt New Member

Baer.. :nice: Brembo if you got some serious cash...not sure those brakes will fit 16" though..might wanna upgrade to some 17"
  4. MUSTNAG 03

MUSTNAG 03 New Member

Bear are great brakes that why I ordered a set for my car. They are running behind in production though so be prepared to wait. I have been waiting for over two months now. :notnice:
  5. Route666

Route666 Active Member

What is everyones take on cross-drilling? Does it improve anything over slotted? Is there any REAL danger of stress cracks in the rotors?
  6. No Control

No Control New Member

For cheap, go to here. You can pick up a set of cobra's for around 500 bucks. It comes with rotors, calipers, pads and stainless lines. Not too bad of a deal. Performance is a little better, but not by much.

Slotted/crossdrilled: I'ld really stay away from them. They really don't help that much unless you're actually on a track. Also, you have to be meticulous about torqueing the wheels to the same on all lugs, as you'll warp a set in a heartbeat- and then you have to send them out to get surfaced. Normal brake shops cannot surface them.
  7. xenon

xenon New Member

I was in the market for a new brake job but was told there is no performance gain going from the regular GT brake system to the cobra's. :shrug:

Maybe they meant the performance improvement was not enough to justofy the upgrade cost. :shrug:
  8. Route666

Route666 Active Member

I've heard, and it makes sense to me, that cross-drilling actually REDUCES the brake's capacity nowdays. Since there is less metal to act as a heat sink, and the holes create turbulence in the flow of cooling air, and reduce the airflow.
  9. bubbas02gt

bubbas02gt New Member

I saw some 03 Cobra anniversary brakes on MRT.. cool deal really.. www mustangracing.com

thinking about some myself
  10. Bone Racing

Bone Racing New Member

brembo
    cobra
    bullitt

:flag: