Good brake upgrade?

SVTCobra66

Founding Member
May 4, 2002
I think my rotors are warped, and i'm in need of new pads, so i was thinking i might upgrade the rotors/calipers or something along those lines. anyone have any suggestions or advice? Slotted/cross drilled, etc? I have 16" rims, don't know if that matters. Thanks
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

For cheap, go to here. You can pick up a set of cobra's for around 500 bucks. It comes with rotors, calipers, pads and stainless lines. Not too bad of a deal. Performance is a little better, but not by much.

Slotted/crossdrilled: I'ld really stay away from them. They really don't help that much unless you're actually on a track. Also, you have to be meticulous about torqueing the wheels to the same on all lugs, as you'll warp a set in a heartbeat- and then you have to send them out to get surfaced. Normal brake shops cannot surface them.

I was in the market for a new brake job but was told there is no performance gain going from the regular GT brake system to the cobra's. :shrug:

Maybe they meant the performance improvement was not enough to justofy the upgrade cost. :shrug:

I've heard, and it makes sense to me, that cross-drilling actually REDUCES the brake's capacity nowdays. Since there is less metal to act as a heat sink, and the holes create turbulence in the flow of cooling air, and reduce the airflow.