good combo? suggestions? low budget.

fordman500

May 26, 2009
Arvada, Co
deciding whether id be happy with this combo on my 5.0, what do you think? ford explorer gt40 non p heads, ford racing b303 camshaft, 1993 true cobra intake, and a rebuilt bottom end? any guesses on hp, 1/4 mile times. btw the cars a AOD with a full exhaust n little stuff but im, wondering if thatd be a good combo? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

No such thing as Ford Explorer non P heads to my knowledge. Only non P heads came on the 93 Cobra. I personally love the Cobra Intake and with your plans it is by far the best intake for you. I kept mine on up until 500 HP and hated to part with it. If I were you i try and find a good set of used aluminum, some Edelbrock Performers or something, those heads would probably net you 20 more HP than the non P heads not to mention 25 lbs lighter a piece. As far as cams, b cam isnt a bad idea, granted its a very old design and your not gonna get much HP out of it, maybe 10? But its a great sounding cam! With that done you'd have a solid mid 13 second car. Unless you put monster gears and stall and a good suspension, youd be knocking at 12 seconds door

I'm guessing you'll make around 250-260hp at the flywheel. Get a decent stall and some 4.10's and it'll will be a lot of fun to drive. I'd guess low 14's high 13's. Deep 13's if you have good suspension and tires under it.

I would choose a different cam if I were you. I have and like the TFS-1 cam. Now I wish I had gone with the Anderson N41, but it isn't quiet as tame as the TFS-1 cam. My 9.0:1 302 with ported cobra lower, stock cobra upper, TFS1 cam, and iron GT40's made 268 rwhp (about 315 crank) and 304rwtq (about 350 Crank).

Your not going to see those numbers through an AOD, they will be less. Also, can a Bcam be run with an AOD? Might need a stall anyways to run that camshaft...actually, you probably will to run most aftermarket cams. I think you may get away with an Ecam, but you probably want to check that out for yourself and not take my word on it.

Aluminums will be better, but if you can keep cost down, the irons can make a little power. Check out the DIYporting website. If you can clean your heads and intake up on your own, you can net a few more horses. Good luck with it!

that combo would be ok, a nice improvement over stock. what about a explorer 5.0 engine? more power, lower miles depending on which one you get. and good driveability. can be had at a junkyard for cheap. to stay budget friendly. plus downtime on the car would be alot shorter

Goals. What are your goals? This is what everyone keeps reminding me of while doing my build. If you build it cheap and it doesn't meet your expectations you will be disappointed.

Best advice you have gotten so far.

Figure what you want to do with the car: Daily driver with a lot of around town kick, weekend cruiser, daily driver with/weekend drag strip.

Keep in mind that if the car will be a daily driver and you have long highway commute that the tall gears (4:10, 4:30) need to get and AOD moving quickly will soon get tiresome in both the driver comfort and gas mileage dept. Add to that a torque converter with a higher stall speed, and the gas mileage can be disappointing.

A daily driver needs to be reliable above all, and needs to have good manners in heavy traffic. That means you will need to carefully match the intake, heads and cam to be traffic friendly. in that case, stick with stock cam, and heads and intake that do not have huge port volumes. That will give lots of low speed kick that makes the car fun to drive around town. Having to get the engine wound up past 3 grand just to get out of the way of oncoming traffic can be a problem...

If you want a street/strip car, remember that what you break on Saturday night you may have to spend Sunday fixing so you can get to work or class on Monday. Be prepared to schedule your track time when you have time off to fix things that break after the track runs. If you race the car, you will definitely break things more often.

If the car is a strip mostly car with a little driving to get to and from the racetrack, strip it down and do the bracket racing thing. The AOD can be very competitive because the 60 ft times can be very consistent.

On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$120. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should or if you have an electric fan. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

Aluminum driveshaft: (courtesy of shawn13) It needs to be from a 92-93-94 Aerostar AWD. It measures 45 ½” center of the front U-joint to center of the rear U-joint. You will need the U-joint, part #PUJ353 from NAPA. The Canadian NAPA pat number is 1-0134BF. It should bolt right up after the U-joint swap.

Note: This driveshaft is not an exact duplicate of the Ford Racing part. It is 3” in diameter while the Ford Racing part is 3.5” in diameter. There is no guarantee that the balance will be any better than the stock part.

Use a piece of string and wrap it around the driveshaft. Make a mark on the string where the ends overlap. Measure the length of the string:
On the 3" AeroStar driveshaft the string will be 9.42" or about 9 7/16" long.
On the Ford Racing 3.5" driveshaft the string will be 10.99" or about 11" long

*1.) Metal flange adapter Ford MAF Adapters - Air Filters - Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. KKM Buy the TR70 for $40. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.