Good combo?

UTGAMER

Feb 26, 2010
Dalton, GA
I was advised to do this for a 351w buid

Buy a 351w EFI manifold. If you want a good running, solid performer. Buy the lightning GT-40 lower, and a Cobra upper.

Grab a set of GT-40 heads. They can be had for $300.
Grab a set of 24# injectors
buy a 70mm TB off summit new, or buy one used on corral.net
get a remanufactured 95 F250 351w distributor from your local parts house.
bolt it all together, call me, send me $60+ ship and i burn you a chip with the ZA0 binary file, and you basically have a Cobra R engine and tune!

I forgot to mention that you can use the stock HO cam too..

This combo was built here local to me. The car made 306rwhp with additional tuning.

Would this be refering to a short or long block

• Sponsors (?)

I won't say if that is a good combo, I will leave that to the 351 experts, but on the face of it, it sounds ok.

A short block is usually the block with the cam, crank and pistons installed, usually timing gear also.

A long block is usually the short block plus the heads installed, usually the timing cover and water pump is included.

A complete engine would be the long block plus intake and accessories.

Of course there may be deviations from this so if you buy something, make sure you know what is included.

It sounds as if your advisor wants you to purchase a 351 short block and add the rest of the stuff to make it a complete engine.

Thats a great combo if you want to make 302 power out of a 351W :D

Honestly I dont know who told you that was a good combo but their an idiot. That combo will not make crap for power. My 351 is a very mild built 351 and I'm at the threshold of 1 HP per cubic inch at the rear wheels and mine needs bigger heads.

This is more of a set up that you want.

1. Trickflow or AFR 205cc heads

2. Trickflow TFSR intake or Edelbrock Victor 5.8

3. Camshaft being a level 2 cam or a custom cam

4. 75 MM throttle body

and other odd's and ends I can get into if you want.

here is whats wrong w/ what he said.

He said you would have a Cobra R engine w/ those parts he mentioned. Do you realize how ballless the 95R was from the factory compared to what is out there now? The stock 95R laid down about 250-260 at the wheels and with that comob of parts you were given thats just about where you will be which means that guys with H/C/I 302's will be smacking you around all over the placed.

I have an actual 95R Engine in mine and Im making almost 100 more at the wheels then it was stock and that was with a pretty mild 351 set up on mine. I could have done a more radical cam, I could have bumped the compression exc exc... but I like where it is and w/ the addition of some 205cc heads next year I think I'll be looking a 1HP per cubic inch at the wheel which IMO is very nice N/A

The combo I suggested is much more expensive then what you were given but that combo is garbage on a 351. You have to build a 351 with the right parts to have it preform as if it has more cubes then a 302. If not then you have a 351 under the hood that puts out less HP then a 302 and all will laugh at you when a Trickflow top end kit 302 shows you his tail lights.

He said that combo made 306 w/ tuning. That sucks balls b/c most H/C/I 302's will make 280-290 on H/C/I modifications. Plus the 351 is 100lbs more in wight so the few more HP you make wont even matter. If a 351 is going to be built build it right other wise your doing nothing but saying hey I have a Mustang w/ a 351 in it....but it has no balls

DynoGraph4-26-10.jpg

There is no point in doing a budget 351 b/c it wont be any better then a mild built 302. Do you have a 351 now or are you looking to get one? Its not a direct swap replacement there are other things that it takes to drop in a 351 as well

I dont have 1 yet but Im def getting 1. And I will upgrade it over time. I just want to get started . I dont want to rebuild a302. Well I have been tryin forever to figure out how to get one in. All is fox related

That combo is a waste of time. An iron head 351? Come on. All the extra money spent on getting a 351 to fit in your car will be better spend on an aluminum head 302. That's just going to be a car making 302 power, but with 351 gas mileage.

Kurt

Starting to think I sould rebuild the 302 but I really really dont want to. Cause in another yr I can have a better 351 than what I stat with

This is exactly why you shouldn't build a 351... your gonna end up with a large hunk of wasted time...

Rebuild the bottom end buy the TFS top end kit... and be done... its pretty idiot proof.

I would stroke your 302 to a 331 or a 347. Put on pair of 185cc or similar heads, Trickflow, Holly or Edelbrock intake and a healthy cam and that combo will pull a lot more then the original 351 build.

The cost of doing that will probably be cheaper then the cost of getting a 351 and all the parts it SHOULD have. Just as an idea for you the Trickflow 205cc heads I want for mine are $1,800, the edelbrock Intake I just bought was $485 new (Mid $550's new) and the custom cam was $300. I sold the previous intake for other reasons but the TFSR was $640 shipped. Thats just an idea of what kind of money you have to sink into a decent 351 build and that does not including the extra stuff that goes along with getting a 351 in the car to begin with.

All I got to do is get engine bored and honed etc which I believe I can do for 1-200 up the road and get a stroker kit pretty much, right? Then should have a lil extra to get some new headers, or exhaust or something . mine are fine, but want some that's not all tainted lookin. It is highly possible to get a good 100000 miles after this right? How much to change gears to 3.73 at a shop

All I got to do is get engine bored and honed etc which I believe I can do for 1-200 up the road and get a stroker kit pretty much, right? Then should have a lil extra to get some new headers, or exhaust or something . mine are fine, but want some that's not all tainted lookin. It is highly possible to get a good 100000 miles after this right? How much to change gears to 3.73 at a shop

Yes thats all you need to do is have the block work done then have the stoker kit of your choice installed that will match the amount of boring that was done on the cylinders.

A gear change should be in the ball park of $300, if they want something like $600 tell them to pound sand and go somewhere else.

That combo can last a long time but it depends on how it is driven. If its brought to the track every weekend or lives at the redline then probably not but a well taken care of stroker engine should have no issues lasting a long time. Not saying you cant ever get on it or take it to the drag strip its just that there is no set XXXXX amount of miles any engine will last.

A stroker combo will give you much better results then the 351 H/C/I Combo that was suggested to you

Did you ever find out what the problem was with the old motor. I know a few cylinders were down on compression. But I never heard what caused it.

Are you assembling the new stroker or a shop? I was really suprised when I started my new motor the first time. I added new heads but had the same exhaust on it as the old motor. Holy cow was it loud, it kind of scared me at first.

LOL not building stroker yet. Will be at tax time. The prob is 2 busted pistons which need to figure out what would cause that to prevent it this time. Heard spark knock would ? How do I trouble shoot this an correct it

while it is true that you can make a whole lot more power that that with a basic bottom ended 351, i still believe that a swap like what you are talking about has merit, especially if you are strapped for cash and are planning on saving and upgrading parts as money becomes available.

the biggest challenge in the 351 swap is the swap itself. once that is done, you have a very solid base upon which you can build in the future, and you will be able to take it much farther than you would be able to take one based on a 302.

just my opinion.