Good deal, or too good to be true? Smog passable(not to be confused with smog legal)?

Matsui56

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2000
Campbell, CA
Okay, so I have been offered this combo. I can't confirm that this is exactly what I'm getting (haven't seen with my own eyes), and I will be able to confirm some things and not others:

Things I would be able to confirm:

302 shortblock .40 over
GT-40Y heads
F303 Cam
1.6 FMS Rockers

Unconfirmable:
DSS Internals(pistons, rods, crank)
6k miles on motor

2 questions:
For 1000 bucks, is this a good deal (he said I could pay half before install, half after everything is installed and running)?

Is this combo smog passable.. meaning would it read ok on emissions (we all know most guys running smog tests have no clue on the visual)?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about that cam (don't know much about it :D) Your internals won't matter. They're probably not even going to know it's aftermarket unless you tell the smog tech. The smog tech isn't going to know my motor is larger than a 302. If they ask about my cam, I'm just going to tell them it's the E-303 cam, and bring the CARB # for it. I had my cam ground to pass smog, and they're not going to know it's custom....cause I'm not telling :D Probably won't know your heads either. Once all of your accessories are on, it'll be hard to tell. Might be able to tell their aluminum, but not what brand (to the untrained eye)

The guy also told me that the cam was ground to pass smog, but jsut in case he's BS'in me I would like to know. Here are the stock specs on the F cam: F303
288°In
288°Ex
226°In at .050
226°Ex at .50
0.512''In lift
0.512''Ex lift
110° / 110° center lobe

And after all the pricing I looked at, looks like the heads alone cost nearly a grand, cam is 200, and rockers close to 300. Even if it is just on a stock block, thats still a pretty good price. I am going to look at it tonight, if anyone has any suggestions on inspecting a motor externally, let me know.

5.0StangRacer said:
if its all legit, sounds like a damn good deal, are the GT-40Y heads aluminum? or are the "X" heads the only aluminum GT-40s? or am I wrong, are there any aluminum GT-40 heads?

The GT40P heads are iron, and the X and Y's are aluminum. The X's are about 100 bucks more expensive than the Y's because they have been turbo-swirled, I believe.

Verdict in: too good to be true. As I'm driving up there to take a look at the motor, I call to let him know I'm almost there. He then states to me "while we were cleaning up the motor, we found a hairline fractor on the block near the motor mount."

Looks like its back to the drawing board...