Good lord, cars are fast now!

While cars at getting plenty quick from the factory, a built fox is still the king of the strip imo, and I don't forsee a change anytime soon. Plenty of room for a poweradder with a 351w based stroker, and you got one hell of a monster.

• Sponsors (?)

I know this was stated before but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I mean, I sold my 04 cammed GTO to get a fox. The GTO was fast but it didn't have what I wanted. I wanted a fun, V8 stick shift convertible car. I found one and bought it. Couldn't be happier. The GTO was fast but it was an automatic and just wasn't fun for me to drive anymore. Plus I missed the open air cruising from my 2002 T/A. I am happy now. Open air cruising. Mods are super cheap. Car is good lookin. It's the perfect car for me.

As much as i would like to agree with you, i just cant. Here's why: So you already have a fox and you want to hang with STi's, GTO's, Evo's, and maybe new cobra's, corvettes. Here's what you would have to do.

Motor: At least 400-500 hp which means either a big inch HCI N/A motor or a smaller HCI + FI motor. Either way the motor combo will cost you at least 5000-7,000 to do it right with all the supporting mods (exhaust, MAF/inj, fuel system, tuning...blah blah blah) it adds up.

Dirvetrain: Good tranny, clutch, driveshaft, shifter, rear end all adds up to at least 2500

Suspension: Full MM grip box plus additional needed parts, not to mention tires and wheels....i cannot even guess a price on this...probably a couple grand at the very least.

Brakes: you all know the deal...2 grand to do it right

Weight reduction/ balance: This means taking a DD type car and making it a purpose built race car to achieve a decent weight balance and drop some pounds.

So right now we are at 10-15k and thats assuming you do all the work yourself and you might have a car thats as fast or faster than the others, and it may handle/stop pretty well. But heres what it doesnt have:
Cup holders, comfy seats, a quiet ride, a nice HVAC system, nice ride quality, traction/stability control, any sort of usefulness in the winter, 25+ highway mpg, stock factory backed reliability/warranty!!!! Emissions legal? probably not....

The real question is how much are you willing to pay to turn the key and be fast...who knows:shrug:

I am not saying it will be cheap or easy, but for $15000-20000 you could theoretically take a fox into this generation. 10 way power, Heated leather seats is just some hard work away, a cool AC system isn't too hard to come by, buying all new suspension pieces, some sound control stuff, and revamping the interior to make it more solid takes time and yes a good deal of money but wouldn;t be out of the question. Stiffen the chassis, a turboed 5.0 with a basic H/I set up can easily toss down 450+ to the tire, and then throw a T56 behind it for those long highway trips. Balance is one area that isn;t going to be easy, but adding a couple hundred pounds of good weight might not hurt, especially when your making good power.

Like I said, this isn;t the easiest thing to do, or the smartest, or the best, but if you really love the fox, have some money, and time and want it to be on par with some of the newer cars, it can be done.

I agree the technology is advancing to the point were cars are much faster than in the past. But I also remember when tuning a 5.0 was virtually impossible. I have had a few mustangs in the early 90s and a cam swap was not practical because of the issues with the computer. Now guys are doing their own tuning with laptops and using advanced heads like AFR, and better camshafts are aslo available. 331 and 347s are now an available option. So my point is that the technogly is also advancing but it is also advancing on the 5.0 powerplants.

Yes, you can buy a Subaru STI and make it run low 12s. But 11s and tens are not much of an option. Not to mention the initial cost of the car is well over 25k. Even a used on is around 20k. Plus it needs another 2-4K in upgrades to run in the 12s.

I recently went to the track at Milan (Michigan) and it was a day my work rented the track for customers and employees. (Eaon day) And not to my suprise the majority of the cars were Mustangs.

With the parts available for the fox it is still the best bang for the buck.

Long live the 5.0 :flag:

I have had a few fox's and hope to always own one. But you cant get me out of my GT500 to save my life. I spent $1200 bucks and went from 437 rwhp to 550. rwhp. Its just insane how much power these car pick up i mean 1200 bucks to pick up over 100 rwhp. My 2007 GT500 now makes over 600+ fwhp. Has run 12 flat on stock tires at 120mph (will run mid 11's on with good tires). Get's 24+ mpg at 80 mph on the hyw. Man it a good time to be into cars i love it

The one thing that should be taken into account is the old/outdated equipment the old stuff had. Take a 65 GTO with only 348HP. Update the suspension to todays technology along with the brakes/tires/exhaust/ignition sys/air cleaners/ect.... you have a good running car that will run in the low to mid 13's all day long.

funny......me and a friend were talking about all this the other night! There are two kinds of fast.... HIGH HP fox body cars yanking the wheels sky high, violant almost on the verge of uncontrollable fast! And then there is the gt500 refined on a lincoln chassis that is so smooth and controllable with bigger hammer it carrys!

funny......me and a friend were talking about all this the other night! There are two kinds of fast.... HIGH HP fox body cars yanking the wheels sky high, violant almost on the verge of uncontrollable fast! And then there is the gt500 refined on a lincoln chassis that is so smooth and controllable with bigger hammer it carrys!

Thats one thing the n/a 5.0's dont have! TORQUE! The GT500 has a SC which gives the small cubic inch motor torque! Believe it or not a 1970 Buick was "one" of the fastest muscle cars in the 60's/70's in the 1/4 mile. People think of Buicks and say HUH?

The 455 Stage-One motor had 510lbs of stump pulling torque!!

Technology does have the edge today. The mustang was never built to the limit from the factory in its defense. Ever since the beginning it was always a great foundation car for the hardcore hobbiest or just enough umph for the typical person to get themselves into trouble. It was never the all out race car a lot of people have the Mustang made out to be. The stock suspension wasn't great but good enough... the brakes just plain sucked... and the power was not bad but put all together it made a nice package. The potential for this car due to the aftermarket is pretty much limitless at pretty reasonable prices. It truely is the aftermarket that made the mustang what it is. Another thing is that our cars are tired on the verge of turning 20 for the non 4-eye Foxes. How many suburu, evos, srt4s do you think will see its 10th birthday.... excluding wrecks. The Fox has payed its dues in performance and longevity and still is a contender. This is why the Fox is one of the best if not the best platforms.
Kevin

Technology does have the edge today. The mustang was never built to the limit from the factory in its defense. Ever since the beginning it was always a great foundation car for the hardcore hobbiest or just enough umph for the typical person to get themselves into trouble. It was never the all out race car a lot of people have the Mustang made out to be. The stock suspension wasn't great but good enough... the brakes just plain sucked... and the power was not bad but put all together it made a nice package. The potential for this car due to the aftermarket is pretty much limitless at pretty reasonable prices. It truely is the aftermarket that made the mustang what it is. Another thing is that our cars are tired on the verge of turning 20 for the non 4-eye Foxes. How many suburu, evos, srt4s do you think will see its 10th birthday.... excluding wrecks. The Fox has payed its dues in performance and longevity and still is a contender. This is why the Fox is one of the best if not the best platforms.
Kevin

Yes and no. I believe its just the 5.0's time.When 60's muscle cars were 15-20 years old they were as cheap as 5.0's. Everyone had one and was modding them. Not to the extent of the 5.0's but the same concept. It will be interesting to see where 5.0's are in 10 years.

Remember that the horsepower numbers during the 60-70's muscle car era were overrated to today's standards.

340hp today is different than 340hp then.

If today's engines were 'standardized' to the old engines. A stock 5.0L would probably be rated around 300hp.

Most brake horsepower numbers were with no drivetrain loss and no accessories if I recall...back in the day.

Don't get me wrong the Fox isn't the best platform by far if comparing stats. A vett would run circles around it going in reverse. It can be set up to hang with one though. It was in context to the average working person can afford a fox, or mustang for that matter, and contend with just about any more expensive and modern car because the plethera of available parts, vast knowledge and configurability options. Problem with the early classics which greatly limited its capabilities were the ability to plant all the power. Early rubber and leaf springs could only go so far... And the brakes sucked then too. hehe. The Fox was a more balanced car.
Kevin

If I remember correctly the H.O was also flywheel dynoed without accessories too. I could be wrong on that. The early HP numbers were so fudged all over the place high and low.
Kevin