Good Metal Adhesive

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
I need a good metal on metal adhesive. I have seen the 3m stuff, but you have to have a special applicator for it to work. How about JB weld? I have a hole underneath my dash and I really dont want to weld it up (I have the entire interior in the car, looks like where someone used a 1.5" hole saw for something (I know the PO had put a radio beneath the dash) but water is coming through this hole from the windshield wipers and I want to plug it up and want a good adhesive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing that you don't want to remove your interior to have it welded up? I've used JB Weld many times in the field with success. Just make sure you sand away any paint at the edge of the hole you're plugging and the metal plug.

I have used fiberglass patch on things before but nothing from "above" like this one is, im afraid that it will make a big mess. I thought about finding a rubber plug that would fit, but the edges are too irregular, i just want to take a piece of galvanized flashing and cut it to fit and bond it to the hole. Im thinking JB will do me a proper job in this instance.
I wouldnt midn welding it proper if i didnt have a new a/c and have the console and all that new wiring under there. Unfortunately I didnt know this hole wasnt supposed to be there initially or I would have fixed it way back when. My car had a rotten drivers side from the leaky cowl vent, but the passenger side was really solid, but this hole explains why the passenger floorpan was rotten as well. ..

If I were going to use JB Weld for this, I would 1st clean the area really well and then butter up the whole patch piece with JB, kind of like frosting a cake, then "splooch" it into place and smooth out around it. The reason for buttering up good and thick is to have the complete patch become a high spot to help avoid the patch being a low spot for water to collect/sit in.
My $.02,
Gene

Yup...already considered that, i was going to "overdo" it so to speak on the jb....or try to bend a flange to raise up the middle of the patch. Boy those flange pliers from eastwood would have come in handy right now! Well, we gonna give ol John Boy Weld a try, its underneath the dash, nobody will see, then hopefully ill finally have a dry floorboard!

maybe some permatex black. I've used it for holes about 1/2" in diameter with wires through them to make it water tight. With a fitted metal patch this would probably hold, be water tight and a little flexible. Assuming you can't really see the area.

I experimented with some JB weld recently

I also needed a good metal to metal adhesive (wound up using the 3M with the special gun) but anyway, I took some scrap peices of sheet metal and laid them across each other with the JB in the middle, and I`m pretty sure they will be stuck together forever. I couldn`t pry them apart, couldn`t beat them apart, nothing worked. I`d say its good stuff.

I need a good metal on metal adhesive. I have seen the 3m stuff, but you have to have a special applicator for it to work. How about JB weld? I have a hole underneath my dash and I really dont want to weld it up (I have the entire interior in the car, looks like where someone used a 1.5" hole saw for something (I know the PO had put a radio beneath the dash) but water is coming through this hole from the windshield wipers and I want to plug it up and want a good adhesive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,
For a hole that size, have you considered a solid body grommet? They come in many different sizes and can be made permanent with a little sealer.
Good Luck!

Yup...see above quote:

"I have used fiberglass patch on things before but nothing from "above" like this one is, im afraid that it will make a big mess. I thought about finding a rubber plug that would fit, but the edges are too irregular"

Yup...see above quote:

"I have used fiberglass patch on things before but nothing from "above" like this one is, im afraid that it will make a big mess. I thought about finding a rubber plug that would fit, but the edges are too irregular"

Hi,
If at all possible, I think the plug is the best and cleanest way to go. This being stated, can you "round-out" the hole with a cutting/abrasive drum bit? I would buy a couple to have on hand.
Good Luck!