Good setup for low 13's?

eliaseje

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Ohio
my buddy is about to buy a 91 GT. He wants to know if this setup is good or not.? He is not looking for major Horsepower from this setup just enough to hopefully get him in the low 13's.

Roush200 Heads (2.02/1.60 Valves) Flow: 200CFM What do stock heads flow?
B303 Cam with 1.6 RR ( .480 Lift) Would an E303 Cam be to much lift and Dur. ?
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
70MM Throttle Body
Cold Air INtake
Underdrive Pulleys
BBk Shorty Headers/ Flowmaster Exhaust
Last but not Least 3.73 Gears.

Thanks for all ur help!

• Sponsors (?)

How is the car driven? What kind of tires will be run? Is the suspension drag only, stock, lowered, ??? On true street tires, 3.73 with h/c/i will smoke the tires well into 3rd on a lowered suspension. On a drag suspension, yeah it'll work great, with DRs or slicks even better.... Keep things in view as part of the total package. Just a thought....

If its going to be driven on street radials, and will have h/c/i and a power adder a year or two down the road, then 3.73 might be too much....

Oh with the parts you listed, and a proper tune, figure on close to 300 at the wheels.
But with the h/c/i you'll need 24s (or bigger with a power adder).

Good luck.
Dave-
:flag: :nice:

I ran 12.70-12.60 range with stock heads(unported), gt-4o intake and bcam...plus the usual smaller bolt ons. Properly driven that combo should go well into the 12s.....but some people couldn't drive a rock through a window so i dont know....if your friend can drive id say with TRACTION sounds like 12.40s or so....but thats me...ive seen lots of gt-40 combos in the low 12s.

EDIT: My cousin has roush 180s, bcam, rpm intake, 4.10s, 5 speed, and other small stuff and he runs 12.0s in a 93 GT. Nothing is ported...but he drives well...its about how you drive most of the time. A friend of mines car runs 14.0s on street tires all the time and i got in it and ran 13.78 the first time....so there you go.

PURESTREET5006 said:
Your gonna need some deeper gearing than that for that heavy GT you have 4.10 or 4.30's would be the hot ticket :D

- yeah if he likes turning 2600 on the highway, and having to shift out of 1st at like 5 mph.....

and you might want to get rid of that E303 cam and get something else :D

- oppinions varry....

PURESTREET5006 said:
Your gonna need some deeper gearing than that for that heavy GT you have 4.10 or 4.30's would be the hot ticket :D and you might want to get rid of that E303 cam and get something else :D

What do you mean heavy GT.. they are not that much more heavy than the coupes. I weight 3050 with only the a/c and smog taken out. With a full tank of fuel before i took weight out of it...it was 3227.

They arnt that heavy!

mike keirstead said:
What do you mean heavy GT.. they are not that much more heavy than the coupes. I weight 3050 with only the a/c and smog taken out. With a full tank of fuel before i took weight out of it...it was 3227.

They arnt that heavy!

I thought you said you wanna run 11.60's :D You'd better get some gear in that car and get rid of that alphabet Cam,get some suspension work,slicks and port those heads and get some compression behind you :) I've been where you're trying to get to now and if your gonna do this on HP"N/A" You have alittle work ahead of you.

PURESTREET5006 said:
I thought you said you wanna run 11.60's :D You'd better get some gear in that car and get rid of that alphabet Cam,get some suspension work,slicks and port those heads and get some compression behind you :) I've been where you're trying to get to now and if your gonna do this on HP"N/A" You have alittle work ahead of you.

Hehe...my 86 GT weighs about 2790 with a full tank of gas and a driver. that includes smog... it'll get lighter next summer hopefully.

PURESTREET5006 said:

Dont have an Alphabet cam....its a Lunati 51014...I have suspension work..Steeda alumnum upper and lakewood lowers...Koni adjustable shocks.
Ported gt-40 heads....soon to milled.....thanks for telling me what i need..but i know what it takes. LOL

mike keirstead said:
Dont have an Alphabet cam....its a Lunati 51014...I have suspension work..Steeda alumnum upper and lakewood lowers...Koni adjustable shocks.
Ported gt-40 heads....soon to milled.....thanks for telling me what i need..but i know what it takes. LOL

Ok mike :D Let me know how you come out in the spring....But i'll say this :D were in the 11.0's@119 plus with a class legal weight of 3225 with driver and i have an 85GT carb'd and that combination you have is good for 12's at best :) So let me know the results.

12.0s I figure. I plan on getting another set of heads by the ends of the season to give me 11.60-11.70 or close to it.. The car is already setup chassis wise...cage full length connectors..and all that stuff. Its rock solid. good luck to you.

eliaseje,

your buddy should definatly be in the low 13's. if he wanted to strap some slicks on, he should be able to get into the 12's. me, i wouldn't even think about gettting new heads if i couldn't easily get into the 12's.

I ran 12.70-12.60 range with stock heads(unported), gt-4o intake and bcam...plus the usual smaller bolt ons.

mike keirstead,

i don't mean to nag, but when you talk about what your running with what parts, you should be a little more specific. hell, i thought you meant you were running those times with the stock E7's. nice times though with the unported gt40. :nice: nice mph!

axeman said:
nice times ERnotch. i'm impressed. got anything done to the suspension to get those 60's? i'm installing adjustable upper and lower control arms very soon, along with swapping the 3.73's for 4.30's. hoping in the spring to be where you're at.

Thanks :nice:. The suspension consists of KYB struts & shocks (on the car when I bought it), stock springs, removed front sway bar, kenny brown subframe connectors, steeda aluminum lower control arms, steeda double adjustable uppers, and an air bag in the passenger rear spring.

I wonder how my car would respond with 4.10 gears.

ERnotch said:
Thanks :nice:. The suspension consists of KYB struts & shocks (on the car when I bought it), stock springs, removed front sway bar, kenny brown subframe connectors, steeda aluminum lower control arms, steeda double adjustable uppers, and an air bag in the passenger rear spring.

I wonder how my car would respond with 4.10 gears.

what air bag are you using, and why is it there? (meaning why did you put it there, was it sagging on the passenger side?)

mine is, only reason i ask..

agreed, awesome 60's