Good steet-strip clutch

Jason 302

10 Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Newark, Ohio
I'm going to do an engine swap in a couple months and I think my clutch is fine, but if it isn't, what's a good street clutch that can handle weekly launches on street slicks? I see King Cobras, Ram, Zoom, Hayes, and Centerforce. Any others?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I run a tremec tko with a centerforce D/F clutch. I have a built motor, a built clutch assy., and BFG drag radials. What did I leave out? A built rear end. I went to the track with the thing, heated em' up and slammed the launch. No trac-loc, and a bent pinion. I would recommend the C/F, because the pedal is light, it is a smooth engagement, and it will grab and not let go. Great clutch for street and strip. Any more specifics, please ask.
Ted

I've got a Spec stage 1. It's great, really grabs. I can chirp 3rd gear pretty easily. SPec also has greater power level clutches, stage 2 goes up to 400hp i thing and stage 3 is around 600. don't quote me on the numbers though.

Spec :nice:

Mean88 said:
Well, I run a tremec tko with a centerforce D/F clutch. I have a built motor, a built clutch assy., and BFG drag radials. What did I leave out? A built rear end. I went to the track with the thing, heated em' up and slammed the launch. No trac-loc, and a bent pinion. I would recommend the C/F, because the pedal is light, it is a smooth engagement, and it will grab and not let go. Great clutch for street and strip. Any more specifics, please ask.
Ted

I DISAGREE, while you are right about the light pedal and smooth engagment... i would not buy a centerforce:::unless you do not have a heavily modified motor(300fwhp max) OR a stock T5

i had a centerforce on my mostly stock 5.0 w/ tremec3550 and it was sweet, but as soon as i put it behind my 351 it couldnt hold, first just at the track then on the street..... the thing was toast with in 8months....

and speaking from friends experiences and other word of mouth knowledge.... DF's will eat up the bearing retainer on stock t5's like nothing....

i will be getting a spec clutch this winter.. they have a heavier pedal than others but i have heard nothing but good things about them.