Good time to replace the stock clutch?

Dreams2Reality

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
NJ
I currently have 10,400 miles on my 03, though it is in the garage now, i plan on doing a lot of work to it in april and may when its back on the road, but i was wondering when is a good time to replace the stock clutch and what are some of the best replacement ones?

• Sponsors (?)

Wow unless you're just planning on getting a new clutch for preformance reasons, there is no reason to change it. 10,400 is nothing for a clutch. I've known cars with 80,000 miles on stock clutches, probabaly even way more, just don't know for sure. I have 30k on my car and i'm still on my stock clutch and it still grabs perfectly. Unless you're doing serious upgrades to your car and need a new clutch for them, no way would I change the stock clutch at 10k. The car is practically brand new...

Well, if your stock clutch is like mine and so are your driving habits, then you got about another 2k miles to go before it starts to slip. However, until you can't get the car sideways in second gear anymore, the clutch is fine. When it is time to upgrade, most people will say either Spec Stage II or a Centerforce Dual Friction.

Mine is starting to slip, I personally don't drag my car. Its never been to the strip and shy away from street races. I have 15K on mine its starting to slip. Hoping the service manager will replace it...crosses fingers.

mine is starting to give alittle....31k miles........ drive like a fool though!
another 500-800$'s i can look forward to parting with....lol
Unless someone tells me that even a monkey could put a cluch in a mustang!

I only drive the car about once a week, so when I do I usually drive it pretty hard. I think the stock clutch is fine for a stock car, but once you start to modify it, the clutch can't handle the added stress. I think the biggest contributor to premature failure was the addition of my subframes. They made the car squat more during hard acceleration instead of the tires spinning so badly. However, I am very pleased with my new clutch because now I can chirp third gear :banana:

BTW where in Chicago are you located 23 Stang? Do you ever check out the Midwest forums? If you ever see a shiny red GT without the rear spoiler flying down either the Eisenhower or the Kennedy, it is probably me. :D

Thanks for the input. I guess you could say i drive it like a mustang should be driven, but i'll just keep the stock one in till it starts to slip i guess.

Sleepy one--how much did u pay for your Centerforce?

Sleepy1, I'm actually from the burbs, Northbrook. I'm not on the highway too often, only really late at night coming back from the city or when I wanna show some ricer that thinks my stang is slow how fast it can hit 120. :rlaugh:

Dreams2Reality said:
I currently have 10,400 miles on my 03, though it is in the garage now, i plan on doing a lot of work to it in april and may when its back on the road, but i was wondering when is a good time to replace the stock clutch and what are some of the best replacement ones?

85000 miles and still rockin...save your $$ for something else till needed