Gorgeous King Cobra on Ebay!

Yep, that's the buck tag all right. No a/c pump either?

Still, it's a nice looking II. I'd like to take it around the block to see how well the rear would hold up.

• Sponsors (?)

According to Mustang II Net The buck tag is not always located on the top radiator support. II's built in Dearborn the tag is on top. II's built in San Jose the tag is located on bottom Radiator support. I was talking to Phil Minn from MII Specialty, He said Kc was available in either Standard Interior or Deluxe. 1978 MII was available with split back seat only. (AKA the bun seat.) The Seats in that car are Def. incorrect whereas the door panels were available.

franks78kc said:
1978 MII was available with split back seat only. (AKA the bun seat.) The Seats in that car are Def. incorrect whereas the door panels were available.

Then someone went to a LOT of trouble getting an earlier rear seat in white vinyl to match the style of the front seats in my 78....White interior, but otherwise the same interior as that "KC". I suspect mine was a "rallye", so maybe it was an uncommon option, or they just used the earlier style in some 78's (wouldn't be the first or last time Ford used up stock without telling anyone, would it?......)

It does appear to be missing the T-roof braces from that engine bay, though. Not a good thing with that V8....

Still a very nice (probable)clone KC.
:nice:

Yes, those door panels were available in the King Cobra. Mine has them, the door panels are original, and the car is a real KC. I've seen other KC's with them too.

The Ford "History 999" report won't tell you if the car is a real King Cobra or not. The report on my black King Cobra lists the following:

-Black Exterior Color
-Light Orange Stripe
-Spoiler
-Appearance Group Special
-195/70 x 13 RWL Radial Tires

Even the build sheet (found underneath the carpeting) doesn't make reference to a King Cobra option. So the only way to know for sure is to check the buck tag, or possibly Dale Rabe's invoices.

It's quite possible the ebay car IS a real King Cobra, just "restored" with parts from a 76. Most of the King Cobra parts are there, although the lack of brake ducts suggests non-KC. Since the car has T-roofs I doubt the car is a 76 (T-roofs came out in when, late 77?). Grafting T-roofs on a non T-roof car is no small task. Much easier to swap over seats, bumpers, air cleaner, etc onto a 78.

My 78 CBII I had, had the same std. black door panels. I later swapped in black '76 panels because I like the look of them alot better. Every '78 I've ever seen used an 85 Mph speedo and that goes for EVERY VEHICLE Ford produced, not just the Mustang II, begining in 1978.

The air cleaner you're asking about is off of a 60's ford small block 260/289 and early 302, usually found in 65-69 Fairlanes, Mustangs, Falcons, etc... (and their Mercury counterparts) I think i've tossed out more of those air cleaners than i can ever imagine finding. :D In some performance Galaxies and Starliners, they used a Dual snorkel setup real similar to the one pictures on the King.

It is a real nice King wannabe, but i agree.... you best be postin the buck tag to continue the bragging rights. :nice:

Vince said:
Even the build sheet (found underneath the carpeting) doesn't make reference to a King Cobra option.

So.... maybe yours aint real either :D

In one of his underhood pics, you can see the four holes in the inner fender from the original T-top brackets, so I'm sure it's a true T-top car. I understand that the brake ducts were flimsy, so they could have easily been lost when the lower radiator support got massaged. It's pretty obvious that the interior was restored using an earlier donor.

The only things saying this is a true King are the bodywork and the owner. The spoilers and decals are easy enough to acquire. We need a buck tag.

That being said - it's a great looking car. I'd take it - but not for 10 grand. Being a fake has its advantages. It looks great and I wouldn't feel guilty modifying it.

Lots of good info in the preceding posts. Glad to hear the door panels were
correct. My 78 does have a 120 mph speedo. I'm 100 percent sure it is
correct since I've owned the car since the mid 80's. I wonder if it is an odd
one that slipped out the door at Dearborn.

Ok, so the standard door panels could be had in the KC, I really wasn't sure, but the seats are def not 78s. Vince makes a good point about the t-top kind of ruling out it being a 76, so that would make it most likely an EARLY 77. I say that because the underhood mechanicals are 76/early 77 parts.

If that really is a 78, then someone went through a LOT of trouble putting early parts into it. If it's a legit 78, then it seems as if someone bought it as a stripped shell, and used a 76 donor to replace all the missing parts.

As for the 120 mph speedo, no 78s came with them Walt. The original owner might have swapped it in. After all, who wants an 85 mph speedo? ;) Hell, my car is a 78 and it has a 120 speedo- cause I put it in :D.

I think the car may be a '78...but one that has undergone extensive rebuilding, including replacement of many if not most interior parts from earlier models. I have a gut feeling too, (which I cannot verify without seeing the car in person), that this car may have been involved in a fire at some time.

The only part that seems in sync with being a '78 however, is the black emergency brake handle. The distributor is indicitive of one used in a late '77 and up...and it's possible that this is the original engine too. However, the radiator set up and style is clearly that of a 75 or 76...a closer look of the stampings on it's upper corner would be more proof positive, as would finding the vin somewhere on the chassis. It has a later syle or replacement ignition module, and '76 style orange needle 120mph speedometer...the gauges probably individually changed into a 77 or later dash piece with the black plastic rings around them as opposed to the earlier chrome ones.

While its possible too that it may be a King Cobra, this would always be subject to question and a lower resale value, without the buck tag verification to prove it. Clearly, the restorer added ornamentation and an air cleaner housing that were not original equiptment....(unknowingly?) along with a spare wheel center that doesn't match the other four, that are also incorrect on a true King Cobra.
The interior has clearly had a redo, with seats and door panels likely coming from other cars as many have pointed out. The photo showing the rear cargo panels shows too much variation in condition and color to the rest of the interior, to make one believe something hasn't been changed.

I believe the car did have factory A/C, as evidenced by the lines on the front radiator support area...whether or not the engine with it's bracketry for it is original or not. The dash heater control unit appears to indicate the car had A/C too.
I question why the restorer did not replace the underhood braces for the T tops. It only raises the question too, of why the were removed in the first place. The bottom line? There's more here to "disbelieve " about the "authenticity" of this car being a true King, that what is being substansiated.

Funny thing I was reading Mustang Monthly and saw a rebuild of a 73 Big Body stang, and lo and behold there was that air cleaner. I laughed and thought AH HA Thats where that funky air cleaner came from on the King from E bay. It's a 73!

During all the discussion on this car no one has brought up the body code on the door.
Granted the door could be changed but it should one more place to check.
I understand that the body style code for the King was 63F as opposed to 69F for a 3 door and 69R for a Mach 1 [nothing specific for a regular CobraII].

Later :spot:

i will check my door tag and let you know. i was under the impression they only way you could tell it was a king was the tag in the rad support or the window sticker/bill of sale. in my case i have both. i also have about 2/3rds of the build sheet but i really didn't see anything on there that would define a king build.

i haven't been able to get to the garage but the window sticker and build sheet for my king says 69F

build sheet shows:
69f
top/roof P
paint 2R
trim AA
inst. bd. A
day 05
month E
remarks 1
region 1
district 6
accent stripe color E
g21 D
appearence group G
perform R
g30 Q

there is other ledgible info if anybody wants it. i can also list the package as shown in the brochure if anybody wants it
i cannot not read the interior portion but it has the standard interior. sales brochure list "all vinyl" as standard. scotish plaid cloth/vinyl and vinyl luxury levels as options for the king.

I've never heard of 63F? Here's some stuff from my build sheet...what's left of it anyway.

rotation number: 0651
line: Z
serial number: 8F03Fxxxxxx
body type: 69F
paint: 1C
trim: AA
schedule date: day 26, month F
region: B
district: 2
seats: bucket 2, sport deck: S
wheels: covers: A, code: ORA
accent stripe color: E