Gorilla Lug Locks - Removal?

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
When my car got broken into last week, they stole my Gorilla wheel lock key. I called Gorilla today and they said that in order to get a replacement key, I must remove one lug lock and send it to them with a check or money order for $10.50 to cover shipping.

What is the easiest way to remove one of these wheel locks with as little damage as possible? Should I have a professional take care of it, or is it something that I can do myself?

If it matters at all, I have Bullet style wheels, so the lugs are not inset at all.

P.S. I have a another set of Gorilla locks on order so that if the criminals do decide to come back, they can't get the wheels and tires with ease.

Thanks again Stangnet.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know.. ive never taken the lug out of the socket.. we usually just threw the whole thing away... i dont know how else you would do it besides vice grips which you might damage your wheel..

I use an air hammer with a sharp chissel bit. You need to hold on to the chissel and feather the trigger. Once it digs in you can knock it loose and remove it. I would recommend going to a tire store and have it removed. Gorilla locks are easy to remove.

There is a special "socket" that has reverse threads. An air impact gun torques it on and then removes the "socket" and lug nut.

I went to a tire shop for mine. That was before I had my air compressor. Car quest and NAPA I think sells the "socket". Just pay the $20 at the tire shop.

Oh yeah, I no longer have wheels locks. No one wants to steal 17" Bullitt rims.

There is a special "socket" that has reverse threads. An air impact gun torques it on and then removes the "socket" and lug nut.

I went to a tire shop for mine. That was before I had my air compressor. Car quest and NAPA I think sells the "socket". Just pay the $20 at the tire shop.

Oh yeah, I no longer have wheels locks. No one wants to steal 17" Bullitt rims.

This is the best way to remove it without damaging the security socket. My car didn't have the factory security key, so I went and bought the sockets that BCB00GT mentioned, and they worked like a charm with just a breaker bar. It would have been a thousand times easier to do with an impact, but I was stranded on the freeway. Check them out here. I found mine at Autozone, but I'm sure any local auto parts chain should have them around.

This is the best way to remove it without damaging the security socket. My car didn't have the factory security key, so I went and bought the sockets that BCB00GT mentioned, and they worked like a charm with just a breaker bar. It would have been a thousand times easier to do with an impact, but I was stranded on the freeway. Check them out here. I found mine at Autozone, but I'm sure any local auto parts chain should have them around.
Perfect, those will definitely come in handy in the future, so I'll grab a pack today while I'm out getting new spark plug wires...the rats chewed through one of them :(

I use an air hammer with a sharp chissel bit. You need to hold on to the chissel and feather the trigger. Once it digs in you can knock it loose and remove it. I would recommend going to a tire store and have it removed. Gorilla locks are easy to remove.

DO NOT EVEN TRY THIS!!!

that is completely wrong and should never be done. a 12 pt socket will work. hammer it over and then turn the lock off. you will not ruin the socket. i have used my cheapo sockets at work more than 100 times removing these locks and never ruined one. to get the lock out of the socket once it is off just put an extension in the end f the socket and smack the socket with a BIG hammer a few times and the lock will fall out:nice:

If you are not experienced I would not use a air hammer but if you know what you are doing like i do using an air hammer is easy. That is also why i recommended going to a tire store. I think you are overreacting to my statement.

Well, the accepted working method here is placing a 1/2" drive 11/16mm 12 point socket (I used one from Wal-mart) onto the lug lock and tap it with a hammer until firmly in place. Then take an impact wrench and feather/tap the trigger until it starts to loosen. Feathering it is very important because it is unlikely that you tapped the socket on straight.

Then a few seconds later, the lock is off! Completely safe as long as you don't accidentally hammer the rim instead of the socket.

Now I just gotta try to figure out a way to separate the socket from the lock so I can send just the lock back. Any ideas?

this isnt a sugestion....but a thought, if someone broke into your car and one of the things they store was the wheel lock....i would be worried that they will come back later and steal the rims. even more so if you just get a new key for the same locks :shrug:

this isnt a sugestion....but a thought, if someone broke into your car and one of the things they store was the wheel lock....i would be worried that they will come back later and steal the rims. even more so if you just get a new key for the same locks :shrug:
Heh, great minds think alike. We towed the car over here to the house and it's now in the garage while I work on it to get it running. I called Discount Tire in Arlington a couple of days ago and they ordered me a new set of locks. I don't want to risk them coming back and taking the wheels and tires. Those are what have set me back the most $$ on this car.

And plus, with the new set of Gorilla locks, I'll get a registration number just in case I lose my key in the future :D