got a head question

well i took the heads off the stang an im lookin for parts ro redo the whole thing

while lookin for rocker arms, yu can eiher get a 7/16 bolt or a 3/8 bolt so i went ot and measused what size i had and its 5/16. that size is only listed for mid 80's 302s and was wondering if i had diferent than stock heads on there
teres a number underneath the intake ports tahtsays D80E anybody know what year these heads are?

• Sponsors (?)

D8OE means you have 78 model heads. They have 69cc chambers, 1.78/1.45 valves. Around 78 or 79, ford switched the valvetrain setups around.

If your heads have press in studs and it sounds like they do, you'll have to have them fitted with screw in studs and guideplates, preferrably by a machine shop. You can choose either 3/8 or 7/16, doesn't really matter which, so long as they match the rockers.

If your heads have the pedesastal mount rockers, you'll have a bolt that screws into the head, along with stamped rockers, and an alignment plate that goes underneath it all. If this is the style you have, you can switch to a late model style bolt down roller rocker. I don't believe they require any modification to the head. The fulcrum has a square shaped extension on the bottom that fits into the head, this keeps rocker alignment, thereby eliminating the need for guidplates.

As for the block, you'll have to remove the starter, there is a casting# behind it that will give you the year.

It doesn't matter which vehicle it came from. The blocks on 302/5.0s are all basically the same, with minor variations. You can take any of them and build it into a screamer, just a matter of choosing the right parts. The heads are another matter. About the worst heads there were for a 302 were the D8OE heads. As far as rockers do as 302 coupe said, only if your going to go with a serious camshaft, have whatever head you choose, fitted with 7/16 rocker studs, the pedestal style are OK for milder cams, but they're weakest link is the 5/16 hold-down bolt. I've run the "Cobra" roller rockers with a B303 cam and turned it up to 6000 rpms without problems, but if you're gonna go higher on rpms or a larger cam, I wouldn't trust them to last.