Got a new shipping scale and weighed some parts, T5, stock hood, fender, heads, etc

Speeds8erM-1

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2000
Pensacola Florida
I have posted weights here and there but now I have an actual shipping scale instead of a bathroom scale, so odd shaped items are easier to weigh and I can get a more exact number.

I decided to weigh a few things laying around.

Stock 302 Shortblock with crank, rods pistons but no cam, no timing chain, no timing, no timing cover and no oil pan was 184.85 pounds

Vortech SQ Trim Fox Body Kit, complete except for belts, also figure you will be replacing some of your brackets/filter etc with what comes with the kit, no fmu or t rex was weighed with it, 42.5 LBS's

Stock 302 Bare Block w/ Main Caps, 125.70 LBS

World Class T5 out of 85 SVO, not FULL of fluid but I think it still has some in it 71.55 LBS

Tremec TKO, No Fluid or Bellhousing, Steeda Shifter Base, 101.75 LBS

T56 out of a 93 Z28, probably similar weight to one for a Mustang Im sure, no bellhousing, no fluid, no clutch fork, 119.20 LBS

PA Super Comp C4 w/ SFI Bellhousing, no fluid, 116.8 LBS

Continental 3800 Stall Converter, 30.75 LBS

Stock T5 Bellhousing, 10.85 LBS

Lakewood SFI Bellhousing for 4.6, no block plate, 33 LBS

FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, 13.70 LBS

Kirkey Aluminum Race Seats w/ Covers, 20" Wide Versions, with Fox Body Tracks, 24.25 LBS

Passenger Seat out of 85 SVO, cloth, with seat track & manual lumber inflators, 44.25 LBS

SVO (might be same or similar to other 79-86 bumper reinforcement?), Steel Bumper Reinforcement, 30.70 LBS

79-90 Fender, no moldings or anything, 13.70 LBS

Front Bumper Mount Shock Reinforcement things with bolts, 10.75 LBS

Steeda Drag Front Sway Bar for 79-93, has the bushing mounts but no endlinks, 13.30 LBS

Stock 4 Cylinder Front Sway Bar, no bushings or endlinks, 12.75 LBS

Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Head fully assembled with Crane Energizer 1.6 Roller Rockers, no port work, 33.65 pounds, 30.05 pounds bare

E5 Head fully assembled with stock rockers, no port work, 53.85 pounds

Crane Energizer 1.6 RR's with Poly Locks, 7.05 pounds

Stock 87-93 Hood with latch and not much paint, 41.05 pounds

Harwood 3 Inch Pin On Cowl Hood, 15.70 LBS

Cobra R SVO Bolton Hood, no latch, unknown brand, 29.75 LBS

85 SVO Leather E Brake Handle, no hardware, 2.05 pounds

Center arm rest, 6.90 pounds, the 87-93 center console without the armrest and missing the ash tray door & shifter bezel is 5.45 pounds, 12.35 total with arm rest. Thats including the power mirror switch, ac bezel and radio frame.

SVO Steering Wheel, no leather wrap on the wheel itself, 5.55 pounds

Griffin Circle Track Aluminum Raditor, part number 1-26272-X, 15.45 Pounds

Stock HO Intake, nothing in it but a couple of sensors and the TB studs, 33.15 LB's

Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Intake, bare, 38.90 LB's

Smog Pump with the first part of line to the valve thing, no other piping, 8.45 LB's

Horns, 1.35 LB's

Windshield Wipers, 1.30 LB's

Wiper Arms under cowl panel, 1.85 LB's

Wiper Motor, 3.95 LB's

Cruise Control Canister thing up in the fendor, 2.50 LB's

AC Compressor w/ Small AC Bracket, 18.00 LB's

Cargo Cover, 4.90 LB's

Factory 92-95 Mini Starter, 7.80 LB's

Insulation in hatch (not including attached to carpet) on 87-93 hatcback car, right at 10 LBS

Some stuff from a 95 GT:

Spare, 19.85 LBS

Jack, 5.75 LBS

Insulation in trunk, 1.70 LBS

Lug Wrench, 1.65 LBS

94-95 Factory Strut Tower Brace, no hardware, 7.20 LB's

Wheel Replicas Chrome Deep Dish SSC Wheel 17x9, 5 Lug, 23.85 LBS

Wheel Replicas Chrome Deep Dish SSC Wheel 17x10, 5 Lug, 23.45 LBS

97 Cobra Wheel 17x8, 22.45 LBS

Weld Pro Star 15x8, 5 Lug, 14.05 LBS

Stock H Pipe w/ 4 Converters, 33.65 LBS

Offroad H Pipe, 17.35 LBS

MMR Rear Seat Delete w/ Hardware, 8.60 Pounds

Next I wanna weigh a 87-93 GT seat and a stock front sway bar

• Sponsors (?)

The fiberglass bumper reinforcement in the 87-93 cars are closer to 15 pounds but I dont have an EXACT weight on this scale yet. Unless you mean the mount shock deals, they are pretty much if not the exact same and are pretty heavy for what they are.

Man don't get me started on weight again...lol

Hell speaking of which....what would be cool is to get a rear window from a coupe and one from a hatch and see what the weight difference is. While you're at it do the quarter glass of an '86 and prior coupe vs. hatch and '87+ coupe vs. hatch.

A couple 4.6L parts (02 4.6 SOHC):

Entire PI intake (factory) - 11.8 lbs - Compare that to 5.0L intakes in the 40-50 lb range.

Single head with cams/springs FULLY assembled: 44.4 lbs (both = 88.8 lbs)

Weighed on accurate digital scale subtracing body weight from body weight (+ car part).

A couple 4.6L parts (02 4.6 SOHC):

Entire PI intake (factory) - 11.8 lbs - Compare that to 5.0L intakes in the 40-50 lb range.

Single head with cams/springs FULLY assembled: 44.4 lbs (both = 88.8 lbs)

Weighed on accurate digital scale subtracing body weight from body weight (+ car part).

Right but i'm pretty sure the rest of the engine makes up for the 4.6 vs. 5.0 weight...at least if we're talking about iron blocks.

Right but i'm pretty sure the rest of the engine makes up for the 4.6 vs. 5.0 weight...at least if we're talking about iron blocks.

I have had both a 5.0L block and 4.6L block. I wish I would have weighed them. I still got the 4.6 out, so maybe later...

I noticed no real difference.

The topend is lighter than a stock 5.0L, that's for sure.

The bottomend looks very similar, and I doubt enough to make the 5.0L be lighter, but that is just 'assumptions' right now. I do know the topend (heads, cam, and intake) is lighter.

Hmmm ... is that 18-pound hood a lift-off or bolt-on hood? If I were swapping hoods for the sake of weight reduction, I'd assume the lift-off would be a bit lighter, but I've always wondered just how much of a difference it would be. (If it's only like 5 lbs., heck, might as well pay the extra bucks for the bolt-on model.)

Darkwriter77 said:
Hmmm ... is that 18-pound hood a lift-off or bolt-on hood? If I were swapping hoods for the sake of weight reduction, I'd assume the lift-off would be a bit lighter, but I've always wondered just how much of a difference it would be. (If it's only like 5 lbs., heck, might as well pay the extra bucks for the bolt-on model.)

It's a lift off. They don't have a bolt on hood available. I think if you're going to spend money to reduce weight you may as well take off as much as possible.

It's difficult to find any fibreglass hoods in the stock shape.

No, 96-01 and 03/04 mach1 is aluminum, 96-98 being the strongest and maybe even stronger than the iron 03/04 cobra block.

Gotcha.

96-98 Cobra blocks were aluminum made by Teksid.

99/01's are aluminum.

The above had the hyper pistons.

The aluminum block is close to an 80lb difference.

03/04 Cobra uses iron block with forged piston/rod/crank with arp hardware.

I have a 302 shortblock out there I could weigh. I want to weigh a bare block though. The 4.6 block has to be heavier than a 302 block, I would think anyway. It's ALOT beefier. I can tell you an LT1 block is heavier for sure, trying to move them around is a pita. 302 stock roller blocks are made out of chewing gum and pansy flowers.

It would be great to see what the weight diff is.

With my center console and arm rest gone, and the e brake lever changed out... I bet I shaved 30#'s off.

I think all the weights of items in the car should be complied into one large list, and linked to in the tech thread index.... But im to lazy to do it right now lol.

Some info:

4.6-liter SOHC and DOHC
Aluminum block weight (bare): 86 lbs.
Iron block weight (bare): 154 lbs.
Assembled cylinder head weight: 44 lbs.*
Displacement: 4.6 liters/281 cubic inches
Bore: 3.552 inches
Stroke: 3.543 inches
Bore spacing: 3.937 inches
Main journal dia.: 2.657 inches
Rod journal dia.: 2.086 inches
Rod length: 5.933 inches
Deck height: 8.937 inches
*Assembled 302 iron head weighs approx. 55 lbs.

I know the beefier R302 block, if I recall weighs around 160lbs.

Good info on the 4.6 blocks. I have been contemplating picking up a cheap 96-98 GT and doing the PI **** and building a Teksid block motor on the side for it. Just gotta do more research. I really want another Fox Body though.

If I had this shipping scale before I got rid of this LT1 block a couple weeks ago, I could have weighed it just to see how it compares to the aftermarket 302 blocks since the GM stuff is known to be pretty beefy. I have a pair of Dart Iron Eagle 200cc SBC Heads and they weighed like 56 or 58 something on this scale with NO rockers. Thats a bit heavier than the E5 head I weighed but it's an aftermarket head with a pretty thick deck.

If I get some help over this week, I might toss the 302 shortblock up there. This scale is rated to 315 pounds, we will see how that goes.

This scale has been accurate so far compared to FedEx's scales.