got a problem with new clutch quadrant installation

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
but my question is that when i push in the clutch and release it the clutch starts engaging around half inch from the floor. thats bad. i called my mechanic he said their is something wrong with the clutch its self. he said adjusting the cable wont do anything. well this is a fms clutch with low miles under 3000 miles on the clutch and i NEVER rode this clutch or hot rod it. i only hot rod it two to three times a month so yea the clutch should be good. i just hope my mechanic is wrong.

• Sponsors (?)

when i did mine i was under there 20 times getting the friction point right. after a while i didnt have to any more. i assume the cable broke in. i would just say keep adjusting till its where you want it.

charlesw6954 said:
so if i adjust the cable it'll adjust when the clutch engages?

what if me adjusting the cable doesnt work? something wrong with what i know a good clutch?

Adjust the cable and you should be OK. It's just a pain to do it because you have to keep crawling under the car to do it. I would lightly set the emergency brake with the car jacked up and all 4 wheels off the ground. That way you can feel where the clutch starts to grab without taking the car down off of the jacks stands. Once it is adjusted correctly, you shouldn't have to mess with it for a long time.

A firewall adjuster is good to have because you don't have to jack the car up to adjust the cable.