Got a question for you guys re: 97 Cobra

I'm in the market for a 96-98 Cobra. Just looked at a 97 on a dealer lot and it looked really good but one strange thing caught my attention: the "32 V V8" label and signature were nowhere to be found and in their place was some black plate pretty much running the length of the valve cover. It seems to me that this should be a huge red flag. Am I correct? I'm basically thinking this car does not have the original engine. Any comments are welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

The black plastic plates are whats on mine, but on the passengers side valve cover should be a sticker that says "Mustang Cobra Engine Built with pride by" and then the two signatures in ink below it. No pretty stamped metal plate with signatures for us for us.

all 96-98 cobra's have the plain black plastic cover running the length of the valve cover. 99 is when they switched to the one you are thinking of. The sticker probably fell off....it is like atleast 9 years old...mines about to come off myself...I will be hand polishing my covers anyway

Thanks for the input, guys. I was assuming all 4.6 Cobras had the "32 V V8" plate. So that clears it up. The signature plate/sticker probably just came off. Now how about this question: How does $14,900 sound for a car with nice paint, 57,500 mi, and good but not great interior(leather on one seat starting to crack in a 2" square area)?