Got a stock distributor?

Boydster

Apr 10, 2011
Glen Burnie, MD
I've got a very frustrating intermittent miss in my engine (fresh rebuilt 306) much like an ignition miss. Comes and goes anytime it wants to.

I've done about everything I can do and everything that plenty of folks have suggested. No Joy. There's an active thread about it around here somewhere.

I am currently running a new MSD Pro Billet Distributor (yes, the supplied TFI and PIP have been replaced) and I'm wanting to try a stock distributor to see if the infamous MSD Fail Bug has bit me before I go and spring out the cash for a new Ford Dizzy.

Does anyone have an old stock Ford roller 5.0 distributor sitting around that I can borrow? Or can buy cheap? It needs to be in somewhat decent condition, ie no worn out bushings or shafts, drive gear in good shape. I can put my new electronics in it if need be, but I'd rather not because this is being used for troubleshooting. I can certainly buy a new cap and rotor for it if needed.

I can work out whatever kind of deal as long as I'm not getting taken to the cleaners. Thanks for reading.

• Sponsors (?)

I wish I had one for you, but, here's some to consider...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1993-F...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-93-For...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

...want a lil bling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Polish...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

There's three pages under ignition for "5.0 mustang"...and certainly tons more. I saw the thread you referred to-I wasn't aware the MSD billet dizzy was that big of a turd...glad I stuck with my factory one at the time!

Thanks for the help, Tex.
Holy crap... $10? That's my kind of troubleshooting money!

There's three pages under ignition for "5.0 mustang"...and certainly tons more. I saw the thread you referred to-I wasn't aware the MSD billet dizzy was that big of a turd...glad I stuck with my factory one at the time!

Yeah, I'm not sure it's the MSD yet, unless there's just a really bad design issue with the matchup between the cap and rotor. Thats why I just want a stocker cheap to try. I'm gonna keep an eyeball on that $10 unit. I hope it works...

There was another one for like $50 that came with wires and was a buy it now...but the module had a chip out of the connector mating surface-like a pretty good size chunk. Might be perfectly fine to use though...

There was another one for like $50 that came with wires and was a buy it now...but the module had a chip out of the connector mating surface-like a pretty good size chunk. Might be perfectly fine to use though...

Well it's certainly not the distributor electronics or the wires, so I'm sticking with the cheap $10 unit for now. I dont want to put anymore money into this problem than I have to. I've already wasted hundreds of $ chasing it down...

Ford is not longer manufacturing dizzy's for these. I had one on backorder for over a month, only to find out, no more available. The same for a lot of other items. I have found that if a Ford item is on backorder, it usually means no longer available. It's aftermarket or nothing.

You hear a lot of talk about the MSD being no good. Seems hard to believe all are bad.

Ford is not longer manufacturing dizzy's for these. I had one on backorder for over a month, only to find out, no more available. The same for a lot of other items. I have found that if a Ford item is on backorder, it usually means no longer available. It's aftermarket or nothing.

You hear a lot of talk about the MSD being no good. Seems hard to believe all are bad.

I don't they're ALL bad but there's enough reported problems with them that the possibility has to be looked at. Especially considering that all of the troubleshooting so far, has turned up nothing.

I'm going through the same thing myself. Chased all the codes, ran all the tests, now just throwing parts at it. If I don't hit on it soon, might just give the whole thing away to the 1st one that shows up with a trailer.

I know your pain, man. I just won an ebay auction for a stock dizzy, so I'll get that one fixed up and try it. After that, if it's no help, I may go after the ignition switch and connectors / wiring.