Got called out...

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
So one of our local clubs has a competition that's basically best of the club in terms of racing. It's not only a competition that requires a fast car, but it's also a strategic game as well.

Basically someone wanting to move up the list calls out a person in a position better than theirs, and the person getting called out gets to choose the race, location, etc.

Well, due to a lot of inactivity, I'm number 5 or something on the list (out of 10). I just happened to jump on during a time where there were a few spots opened and moved up pretty quick.

Now the heavy hitters are trying to get on and move up. Well, my buddy called me out today to try and take my spot.

He has an 01? GT, built to **** motor, Vortech blown, and some other goodies, somewhere in the 530rwhp range...

I have my GT, bolt ons and a 100 shot. I'm calling a 1/8th mile run AT THE TRACK. He runs street tires, I have a set of BFG drag radials.

His best E.T. that I know of was a bit into the 11's... that was prior to having his second motor built.

My ONLY chance at a saving grace is him being on street tires and me hooking. Plus his car will pull like a freight train once it gets some speed built, whereas mine isn't a rocket out of the hole, but between hooking and the 100 shot I may be able to hold him off.

Race has to happen within a week, unfortunately, and I don't have time to get a window switch on my car so I'm a little nervous but think I'm going to go for it.

Part of me thinks I have a chance simply because his car SHOULDN'T hook and mine should as long as I don't spray until the top of first, or second...

Any thoughts? haha

• Sponsors (?)

1/8mile race is a good call, my buddy has a cobra that has something like 480 at the tire and even with his bfg DRs he is just about even with me threw the 1/8, after that is a hole new ball game !

You have a real good chance at smoking him in the 1/8, good luck !

Cut that light. 2 out of 3?

You're going to have a ton of tq spraying off the line with DR's and gears. Have you launched the car on spray yet?

Most likely going to be required to prove the race. Plus I want to see an honorable win or loss, lol.

1/8mile race is a good call, my buddy has a cobra that has something like 480 at the tire and even with his bfg DRs he is just about even with me threw the 1/8, after that is a hole new ball game !

You have a real good chance at smoking him in the 1/8, good luck !

Yeah I figured that was my best shot. If it were his call I imagine he'd want a roll race, and understandably so for his advantage. Thanks.

If he is making a call out, I doubt he is going to roll street tires to the track. Sounds like he can afford the radials or slicks.

He doesn't have a set. I can assure you this, as my DR's on currently on his car for another race he had lined up the other day...:rlaugh:

He can afford them, but he just hasn't gotten a set yet I guess.

Cut that light. 2 out of 3?

You're going to have a ton of tq spraying off the line with DR's and gears. Have you launched the car on spray yet?

I wish it was 2 out of 3... one shot, you mess up you lose. That's cool with me, that makes it more of a racers race if that makes sense.

I have not launched on the spray yet, that's what I'm worried about. If I could delay the race until next Sunday then I'd order a window switch, wire that, and get some practice in. But the only thing I can do now is get the DR's back on my car, get some practice in and hope for the best. I don't think it'll hook spraying off the line unfortunately. Our track is fairly freshly re-paved, doesn't pack a big crowd, and doesn't have much rubber down. I don't even know if they know what VHT is, haha.

Either way, win or lose it's all in fun aside from a spot on the list. His car is NASTY and I really shouldn't stand a chance but we are both pretty good drivers, so I think it'll come down to who can hook.

Yeah good call on a 1/8 mile race.If he is really on street tires he
will probably spin.If he heats them up too much it will only be worse for him.
He could be setting you up odds are he can afford a nice set of DR's
or Slicks.If you have time try and get that window switch installed
even if you have to go to a shop to get it done.
I would start doing some weight reduction like stripping your interior
right now! :rlaugh:
Good luck and let us know how it go's.

It doesn't matter if he shows up on bicycle wheels.....he's going to beat you and my guess is that he's going to beat you pretty badly.

The guy is going to have a 150+rwhp advantage on you. Tires are not going to negate that.

^ I disagree completely. I can honestly say I've beat a car with TWICE the horsepower as mine in the 1/8. It was a friend of mine's TT 300zx. My car has mods in sig, his made around 390 at the rear tires. Both of us on street tires, he blew the tires on the launch, and I instantly pulled buses out of the hole. I ended up beating him literally by 2 HUNDREDTHS of a second, but a win is a win. If it had been 1/4 mile, it would have been a massacre, as his car REALLY started to pull like a freight train on the big end.

^ I disgree completely also.
If he does blow his launch or has traction issues it's over for
him aspecially in the 1/8 mile he may have a chance.
If we were talking about the 1/4 mile then I would say he doesn't
have a chance in poo.

I've cracked quite a few cars at the 1/8 mile strip in my 97 GT with bolt ons and a PI intake. This was with 2.73, not 3.73 gears. Ran 8.8's. Cutting a light, and a good 60ft is how to win at the 1/8 mile. His HP will have a very hard time running you down if you get a couple tenths on him on the tree and get a 60ft that is .2 better.

I'd set those DR's down to around 12-14psi for the 1/8 mile. Slip the clutch, and let it rip. Good luck!

I've cracked quite a few cars at the 1/8 mile strip in my 97 GT with bolt ons and a PI intake. This was with 2.73, not 3.73 gears. Ran 8.8's. Cutting a light, and a good 60ft is how to win at the 1/8 mile. His HP will have a very hard time running you down if you get a couple tenths on him on the tree and get a 60ft that is .2 better.

I'd set those DR's down to around 12-14psi for the 1/8 mile. Slip the clutch, and let it rip. Good luck!
Mark what kind of cars did you beat with your 97 GT when you
had it? Why did you sell your 97 GT? Do you think this guy will
really show up at the track with street tires?

98GT-SVO heads/SVO blower
98GT-2 PI headswaps, 3 stock NPI motors, Erson reground cams
97GT-PI intake, bolt ons.

With my 97, I beat a lot of street cars that had more hp than me. I also got beat a lot. Our 1/8 mile track is mostly street cars on Friday nights.

I have no idea what this guy will show up with, just giving my $.02

98GT-SVO heads/SVO blower
98GT-2 PI headswaps, 3 stock NPI motors, Erson reground cams
97GT-PI intake, bolt ons.

With my 97, I beat a lot of street cars that had more hp than me. I also got beat a lot. Our 1/8 mile track is mostly street cars on Friday nights.

I have no idea what this guy will show up with, just giving my $.02
That's very impressive Mark sounds like you have the driver mod!
Good driving! :nice:

Yeah good call on a 1/8 mile race.If he is really on street tires he
will probably spin.If he heats them up too much it will only be worse for him.
He could be setting you up odds are he can afford a nice set of DR's
or Slicks.If you have time try and get that window switch installed
even if you have to go to a shop to get it done.
I would start doing some weight reduction like stripping your interior
right now! :rlaugh:
Good luck and let us know how it go's.

I really wish I had time for the window switch, but it's not going to happen unfortunately. Guess I'll be granny shifting...:(

I'll probably just pull the spare and jack out.

Thanks for the good luck, I'll post up the results.

It doesn't matter if he shows up on bicycle wheels.....he's going to beat you and my guess is that he's going to beat you pretty badly.

The guy is going to have a 150+rwhp advantage on you. Tires are not going to negate that.

I would normally agree but traction is really his enemy. This track is slick as greased owl **** and I've walked a buddy of mine that was spraying a 75 shot on his GT (this was before I had spray) because he'd just start spinning once he hit the juice.

He has around 170rwhp on me, but our torque isn't as far off.

^ I disagree completely. I can honestly say I've beat a car with TWICE the horsepower as mine in the 1/8. It was a friend of mine's TT 300zx. My car has mods in sig, his made around 390 at the rear tires. Both of us on street tires, he blew the tires on the launch, and I instantly pulled buses out of the hole. I ended up beating him literally by 2 HUNDREDTHS of a second, but a win is a win. If it had been 1/4 mile, it would have been a massacre, as his car REALLY started to pull like a freight train on the big end.

Yep... 1/8th mile is the hard race. 1/4 is just playing catch up for a fast car, so if he spins then it's over unless I screw up. If it goes as I see it, I'll take him out of the hole and he'll reel me in hard on the long end.

^ I disgree completely also.
If he does blow his launch or has traction issues it's over for
him aspecially in the 1/8 mile he may have a chance.
If we were talking about the 1/4 mile then I would say he doesn't
have a chance in poo.

1/4 mile he'd slaughter me even if I was on slicks and he had bald street tires, lol. His car traps 120's in the 1/4 and on spray I'd be lucky to hit 112-115mph.

Yeah I'll be dropping them down a bit. Unfortunately last time I did they hooked no better than before, but we'll see... He's a good driver as well so I imagine he'll cut a good light.

Thanks for the good luck.

Yes, he will definitely show up on street tires... I'm getting my DR's back from him this morning, lol.

Race is locked in for tomorrow night. If I lose, I can't be too upset given his car. If I win, then hell yes... but I'm not going to assume that'll happen.

I'm gonna try to get to the track a little early and get in some practice runs. I'd really like to be able to spray in 1st... we'll see if traction permits.

Pushing 265rwhp and an auto I've dusted several bolt on and cammed LSx cars in 1/8th mile. But, I get spanked on the big end.

Case and point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrWjSSw7sc This was a cam and full exhaust / slick M6 GTO.

That was a no-spray launch. If you launch with spray and have good rear suspension, you can say adios to that guy in the 1/8th. Just don't run the full 1/4.

I think you have a good chance if you can hook it. Gonna need to practice your launches and see just how hard you can launch with that shot on there. :nice:

Pull the spare tire, jack, passenger seat, & rear seat out, that should help drop quite a few pounds. Make sure you get those DR's VERY sticky, & get a good 60 ft, & you should be able to stand a good chance if your buddy is really going out on street tires.

Higher hp & street tires can make it much harder to get a good launch without major spinning. A good example, I typically see tons of 03/04 Cobra's at the local track running mid to low 13's on street tires, with 400-450 rwhp LOL... Good Luck...

i am at 440 and i fry street tires going on a 40 km/h roll , you will be ahead for the first two gears then its catch up if he hooks up at all , your chance is decent , vortechs are quiet laggy and they don't make power early :)

My $0.02, don't try to launch too hard. Leave around 3k and about 10 ft out hammer it, thats how I got mine to hook on my old Nitto dr's on a 125 shot. Also, try shifting ~5600 rpm or so. You want to be at or near your peak torque when the next gear starts. Peak torque will occur as soon as your nitrous activates. My car picked up a few mph when I lowered my shift points. Good luck Ryan!

I would be willing to bet, even if you both hook fairly well, you will still beat him by 1-2 cars.