Got my AFR's - Pics Inside

Thanks for the advice Paul. I've been in contact with them for a little over a week. They have them in-stock right now, so I'm good there. I'm actually getting a very good deal and I won't even be home until May to install them so the wait really doesn't concern me, but as long as they say that they're in-stock I shouldn't have a problem....I hope.

Thanks though Paul.

Jake

• Sponsors (?)

Muscle Motors will tell you they have everything you order in stock. Then when the credit card goes through the **** hits the fan. I'm not gonna vendor bash but my buddy waited a real long time for his stuff. Hopefully they get there act together soon.

How can I actually make sure they do? They told me they have them in stock. I mean, I'm really in no rush for the parts....just want them before May. That gives them almost 5 months....I think they can handle that.

Jake

Jake, its stuff like Joe just posted that I have heard time and time again. Whether or not you have the time to wait for them isn't the point, that is no way for them to conduct business. The longer people let them get away with such crap, the longer they'll do it. I will say this, I have no personal experience with them, but stuff like was mentioned here comes up a lot, enough to steer me clear of such distibutors.

Well, I just e-mailed them again and asked them again if they are in stock and when they can get them to me by. I really can't turn down the deal I'm getting, even if I have to wait a few months.

Jake

That long wait must just be when you order heads because I've ordered plenty of things from JD's Performance and they arrived in a timely manor. When/If I get some AFRs I'll be getting them from JD's Perf. I like dealing with Dave, he's a good guy and he's always grateful when I order stuff from him and bring him new business.

94DreamGT, congrats on your buy. I'm sure you're gonna love them. Keep us posted with your improvements and falling ETs. :D

Dave treated me well in the past too, and always liked when I sent him business as well, but with all companies like his that drop ship, you WILL wait in excess of a month for AFR's.

I ordered mine from JD's about a week ago, and he said that there would be about a month delay. Perhaps that was an optomistic prediction... hope not. I hopeing that winter is a slower time for AFR, and they are not as backed up as they were when Killercanary ordered his.

Rick

rockin_rick said:
Update:

I ordered AFR165's from JD's Performance on Dec 2 and they were delivered on Feb 4. If you don't have the time to wait, make sure the vendor stocks them.

Rick

Two months!

For regular heads?

That's totally obsurd... Something else was wrong with that deal...
Even a set of "specially" prepped heads take only three weeks...

Ed

I think price isn't the only issue here. Customer service goes a long, long way. I bought my afr's summer of 2002 from FTI. Now, I had problems getting my car dialed in, so I kept picking ed's brain. I know he is not a tuner per say, but his advice pointed me in the right directions with people to talk to, as well as what to try. My car is 100% better now. Now I'm not kissing up to Ed at FTI or anything like that, but I am saying that his customer service a year after I bought my package was second to none. I'm sure I could call him right now and talk until I couldn't talk anymore and he would listen to me. Ask Killer, I'm long winded.

I did order my Vortech tuner kit from muscle motors and had no problem at all. Got it within 2 weeks of ordering it. It's still in the box waiting for me to put it on the car.

What I'm trying to say is... Factor in everything, you will be surprised how much you need customer service after the sale. These cars are not easy to dial in at all. You need all the advice you can get.

Good luck...

Wow...this thread came back from the dead.

A little update on my situation:

I have everything ordered. Have been in communication with Ed Curtis @ FTI over the past month and my cam is on its way along with a lot of the supporting hardware. Everything else I have either received or should get by the end of the week (RR's, Longtubes, etc..).

Planning on tearing into it the first weekend in March. Have a few friends helping me and we are going to pull the motor to make everything easier especially with degreeing the cam and checking PV clearances etc... Also decided to throw a SPEC Stage 2 Clutch on it at this time as I'll need it soon enough.

One month from now I should be posting some info on how it's running after getting everythign buttoned back up. Then I'll get used to the new feel for a few weeks and hopefully take it to the track...because after all that's the point of this, right?

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions now or later.

Jeremy

Had I known of Ed before I bought the heads, I would have most definitely bought them from him. Everything Charlie has said is DEAD ON about Ed. I can't tell you how many aspects of my car he has helped me with.

Jeremy- that's a wise decision to yank the motor, it will make your life much easier and its NOT a hard thing to do at all if you have the equipment.

Well guys, Uncle Sam is being nice to me this year so i'm getting some AFRs. I like doing business with JD's Performance but I don't want to wait forever and a day for my heads. So, I need to know what company I can get them from and recieve them in a timely manor.

Ed, do you stock AFRs over there at FTI? I'm gonna get the 165s w/58cc chambers and I have stud mount RRs so i need my heads to have studs and guide plates. I WANT to get the 185s, but I'm not doing my bottom end just yet. I wanted to get the 185s so when I get the 331 I won't have to sell the 165s to get a set of 185s. But I don't want to p/v clearance issues with my new heads, so, I'll settle with the 165s. I'm sure I can get some nice ETs with them.

stangboy said:
Well guys, Uncle Sam is being nice to me this year so i'm getting some AFRs. I like doing business with JD's Performance but I don't want to wait forever and a day for my heads. So, I need to know what company I can get them from and recieve them in a timely manor.

Ed, do you stock AFRs over there at FTI? I'm gonna get the 165s w/58cc chambers and I have stud mount RRs so i need my heads to have studs and guide plates. I WANT to get the 185s, but I'm not doing my bottom end just yet. I wanted to get the 185s so when I get the 331 I won't have to sell the 165s to get a set of 185s. But I don't want to p/v clearance issues with my new heads, so, I'll settle with the 165s. I'm sure I can get some nice ETs with them.

Always on the shelf...

They can be modified with any option you can imagine...

The FTI site has pricing..

Sorry for the SPAM Mr. Raburn... :D

Ed

Killercanary said:
Had I known of Ed before I bought the heads, I would have most definitely bought them from him. Everything Charlie has said is DEAD ON about Ed. I can't tell you how many aspects of my car he has helped me with.
ive sent Ed 2 emails in the past and even though i wasnt ready to buy heads he was totally cool enough too discuss my options with the AFR's....he seems like a really cool guy and obviously knows his stuff.....between him and Paul(Killer) ive been sold on the AFR/FTI combo....

Anthony

I haven't even got my stuff from Ed yet and will still recommend him. I think I've sent him what seems like a 1,000 emails with all my questions. He always gets back to me right away and always seems to know the solution to my various problems/questions. Plus after the sale customer service is big in my book (I will have 10,000 more questions once I get the heads on, no doubt!) and he is supposed to be great after the sale to get all the little kinks worked out once everything is in the car.

Ed gets my vote hands down!