Got my car back....pretty disappointed...

CanadaStang said:
It would have been nice to see around 250 or so but as others have said, dyno's vary. In 96' 2.73's 3.08's and 3.27's were available as options. 3.27's weren't standard till the later years.
Hmmmm... the guy that tuned my car said he thinks I have 3.08's. I definitely need to swap my gears.

• Sponsors (?)

Skidzz said:
Hmmmm... the guy that tuned my car said he thinks I have 3.08's. I definitely need to swap my gears.

i'm fairly certain 3.08s were paired with an auto transmission. As far as compression goes, you can have a shop run a leakdown test to check compression consistency across all 8 cylinders. If one or more is low, you may have a bad piston ring which would involve tearing into the shortblock. I'd say its a problem with the heads but they're brand new right? Also, what is the timing set at? And are you sure the cams were installed properly?

honestly i would do the gears if you can swing it financially. 3.73 or 4.10s

ive heard MD motorsports does a pretty damn good job, i wouldnt get it retuned...

how many miles on the shortblock? nothing really jumping out at me from the dyno graph, looks pretty fair, but i agree.. i think you should be seeing around 260 RWHP or so. Done a compression check lately? ;)

stangGT97 said:
i'm fairly certain 3.08s were paired with an auto transmission. As far as compression goes, you can have a shop run a leakdown test to check compression consistency across all 8 cylinders. If one or more is low, you may have a bad piston ring which would involve tearing into the shortblock. I'd say its a problem with the heads but they're brand new right? Also, what is the timing set at? And are you sure the cams were installed properly?
I'm pretty sure everything is installed correctly. And no, the heads aren't new, but they have been R&R'd and re-milled by fox lake. So, I'm thinking they SHOULD be ok. I guess I'll have a compression test done. I just hope I can get it up to 260 rwhp or so without having to spend a bunch more. I've spent too much already.

My 98 GT with 2.73 gears and a 5 speed made 255whp with a PI Swap, O/R X, and flows. No tune, just a dyno pull.

I switched to packs, and put on a Tbody, plenum, and CAI. I should be at 265-270 range tuned I hope.

Your numbers are way low. That being said weather, condition of your car, and a lot of other things have effects on dyno numbers. I would not blame it on MD, they have a great reputation from everything I have seen. I have never heard a bad word about them.

OK time to rant a little..

2 things bug the crap out of me

1. dyno numbers/ track numbers with no weather data and altitude

2. People commenting on the numbers being high or low with no data to compare it to. How many times I have seen somebody from colorado post a 15.5 in a 99+ GT and give it 5 minutes and atleast one idiot will say.. " DUDE, gt's run 14.0 stock you suck at driving or your motor is gone"

How the hell do you expect to compare one car running 244 RWHP to another ran in another state at a different dyno running 270 RWHP..

Don't ya think weather and altitude have just a tiny bit of input on that.

How hot was it when you ran, what was the baro pressure hoiw about the humidity BTW how far above sea level is WV.

uncorrected numbers at the track or dyno is worthless for comparision.

svttech76 said:

2. People commenting on the numbers being high or low with no data to compare it to. How many times I have seen somebody from colorado post a 15.5 in a 99+ GT and give it 5 minutes and atleast one idiot will say.. " DUDE, gt's run 14.0 stock you suck at driving or your motor is gone"

How the hell do you expect to compare one car running 244 RWHP to another ran in another state at a different dyno running 270 RWHP..

How hot was it when you ran, what was the baro pressure hoiw about the humidity BTW how far above sea level is WV.

Hey man I was hoping that you would chime in. Yea, I've thought about these things, but it was dynoed at MD in Ohio, not WV. I'm not sure about the difference, but the day it was dynoed it was a pretty nice day, probably in the high 70's-low 80's, and wasn't TOO humid outside. I know that these things would make a difference, but I really think that it should still make atleast 255 rwhp, and if I could make at least that much power, I'd be happy. The good thing is that I compression test isn't that expensive from what I hear, and my boss's ex-husband and 2 sons work on race cars. She said I could go work on cars with them (including my car). So if it needs work, I would be able to do it myself. I already messaged Tim at MPH and told him what's going on, so I'll see what he has to say. Again, the passenger side cat converter is making a funny sound, I took a vid of it at idle and I'll have it up on here soon. I don't know if it would affect my power THAT much though.

your car is probally fine. Well sorry about the rant in your thread, but I get a good laugh at the guessing that goes on in these threads.

There is no way you can compare different dyno pulls on different cars on different dynos in differnet parts of the country. The only way to even make it worth talking about is with corrected numbers. Even then there are many other factors involved.

Apperently their tuning does suck....they have his freegin A/F @ what looks to be 12-1! I bet the timing is WAY low too. Dang, they do suck :nonono: .

take you ride else where.

AND WHY DID THEY SUT IT DOWN @ 5300RPM? See something is wrong, my car makes peak power @ 5500...I bet their dyno is screwed...as well as their tuning skills.

Oh yea SVT, elevation and weather are not important in N/A cars IF THE DYNO IS RUN IN SAE. The ones that get effected #s, are turbo cars @ high elevation...the SAE INFLATES THE #s HIGH on those apps. If his run was STD, then those would matter....

svttech76 said:

Thats why us smarter people at altitude post our corrected track numbers, also most dyno shops print out the SAE corrected numbers, so I didn't even think to bring that up, good points though, because even with SAE temp will kill numbers. I lost 20 HP when I added 3 mods, because the SAE didn't adjust to the 50 degree temp difference.

Ok I scanned an actual CLEAR pic of my dyno sheet. Here it is:

Screw it, I'm not going to worry about it for now. The car pulls like crazy now, and if something wasn't running right, I think I would have noticed something on my 4 hour trip home. The car runs stronger than ever and I think that the air/weather/altitude had something to do with the low numbers.

You are running rather rich :scratch:
I think you should give them a call or stop in and ask them why they had your a/f at 12. They may have had a reason and you're obviously concerned so just ask them. Who knows, maybe they will have another look at it.

hotmustang331 said:
Apperently their tuning does suck....they have his freegin A/F @ what looks to be 12-1! I bet the timing is WAY low too. Dang, they do suck :nonono: .

take you ride else where.

AND WHY DID THEY SUT IT DOWN @ 5300RPM? See something is wrong, my car makes peak power @ 5500...I bet their dyno is screwed...as well as their tuning skills.

Oh yea SVT, elevation and weather are not important in N/A cars IF THE DYNO IS RUN IN SAE. The ones that get effected #s, are turbo cars @ high elevation...the SAE INFLATES THE #s HIGH on those apps. If his run was STD, then those would matter....

I live at sea level so I did not realize they corrected for altitude.. LOL shows how much I care about dyno numbers. only time I ever used a dyno was to tune my TR and a friends camaro, and we did not have a number goal so I did not check if they corrected for weather.. all I cared about is how the car reacted to the changes we made.

BUT you still have different dynos, maybe even a different type of dyno.. So I still think worring about being a couple of HP off is a waste of time.