Got my Comp custom cam

matty50racer

Founding Member
Nov 8, 2002
Pennsylvania
I finaly got my Comp custom solid flat-tappet cam. I can't wait to get my motor on the dyno, this thing is gonna rumble. :D :banana:

I think my buddies Nova is gonna get :owned:

the cam specs are:
Intake/exhaust
lift .596 .608
adv. duration 280 284
Duration @.05 250 254
lash .018 .020
LSA 106
Installed on 104 intake centerline

• Sponsors (?)

So your installing a flat tappet in your 87? Are you using an old block? Also are you sure its 250 duration? Thats a crap load of duration for a mild sounding 331. What rpm are you planning on running this thing out to? Hell the X303 is one of the most aggressive cams from ford racing and its only like 224 and I know anything over 230 is pretty wild for a street small block.

SmockDoiley said:
Actually 280 advertised would put it at like 230 degrees not 250 because advertised is usually 50 degrees higher.

No Al at Northern Performance ordered it with the fastest race ramps possable because I am only running 11:1 compression and want the peak power to be around 7,000 rpm and shifted at 7,500 rpm. I have the cam card right here and that is what it says.

SmockDoiley said:
So your installing a flat tappet in your 87? Are you using an old block? Also are you sure its 250 duration? Thats a crap load of duration for a mild sounding 331. What rpm are you planning on running this thing out to? Hell the X303 is one of the most aggressive cams from ford racing and its only like 224 and I know anything over 230 is pretty wild for a street small block.

230+ duration is not a big deal. My FTI hydraulic roller is in the mid 230s/low 240s and it's very streetable in a 306.

That is one agressive cam! I take it this is a race car QUOTE said:
Yea, it is going in my '87 wich will be a trailered race car. Right now it has no motor so it is just a lawn ornament :( ), but that is why I bought the 2000 to play around with. Gotta love those modulars running smoothly 6,000 with power :D .

SmockDoiley said:

You think thats alot for a 331 try my cam spec's in my P/S combination

[email protected] int & exh
[email protected] on the intake
[email protected] on the exhaust
on a 104 lobe center

This is FTI/COMP custom grind for a carb'd combo. :D ...shifted at 7200 rpm with "stock type" roller lifters....and all this in a 310 cid bullet.

PURESTREET5006 said:
You think thats alot for a 331 try my cam spec's in my P/S combination

[email protected] int & exh
[email protected] on the intake
[email protected] on the exhaust
on a 104 lobe center

This is FTI/COMP custom grind for a carb'd combo. :D ...shifted at 7200 rpm with "stock type" roller lifters....and all this in a 310 cid bullet.

That sounds like an awsome cam except for the lift, but I am sure that is dictated by the rules of your class. :nice: Some people just have no clue what it takes to make real power out of a motor. People always ask me "is it like an E cam or X cam and I just :rlaugh: :rolleyes: :nonono: .

Ramp rate I understand but I've never seen something so steep on a flat tappet. Usually thats reserved for a roller being that a roller can handle climbing the lobe like that where as a standard lifter starts to pinch on the corner of itself. But being a race motor its not meant to last forever. The reason I'm running a mild duration is due to the 17 pound blower I have and as we all know superchargers dont like lots of duration that can kill pressure buildup.Plus I would think if you want such an aggressive cam why not have a valve train that can keep up with it?