Got my flamethrowers to work!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Flames definetly do look cool from exhaust tips. But be forewarned. My car shoots flames as well, sometimes at least 6" long. And I don't do this on purpose, the car runs so rich that it does this by itself when I rev the motor high and hit the next gear hard.
You may burn your rear bumper cover, as you can definetly tell on my bumper where flames came out, I have black soot spread upwards, and parts of the bumper on the bottom is singed black.

Other than this, I dont see where it would hurt anything, as long as the flames don't get near the gas tank.

I'd like to see a vid of yours as well.

Dan

DanG said:
Flames definetly do look cool from exhaust tips. But be forewarned. My car shoots flames as well, sometimes at least 6" long. And I don't do this on purpose, the car runs so rich that it does this by itself when I rev the motor high and hit the next gear hard.
You may burn your rear bumper cover, as you can definetly tell on my bumper where flames came out, I have black soot spread upwards, and parts of the bumper on the bottom is singed black.

Other than this, I dont see where it would hurt anything, as long as the flames don't get near the gas tank.

I'd like to see a vid of yours as well.

Dan

Are you for real? Your computer must be going nuts. If I keep my fuel rich (like at 43 when I'm spraying) and then I daily drive it like that... my CEL light starts randomly coming on. Just a rich condition in the banks. Turn it down to 39-40 and it's fine.

What is yours set at???

Yeah, i found the key to it, rev the motor to 4 grand, hit the switch, and Floor it, as the rpms drop, HUGE, BLUE 4' Flames come out of the tail pipes, alternating. and make a sound like a Loud ass blow torch, you know when its lit lol.....its sooo badass, right before the engine dies, let off the switch and it catches itself. There isnt any problem with my computer, cause its only doing it for like 2 secs, maby if it was rich for longer, but dunno. now if i could only find my vid camera.... tonite ill try to get vids. Also if you guys like, ill write up exactly how i did it.

gas tank bla bla bla...

...forget the gas tank...don't get me wrong, I think it is cool as hell, BUT if you do this ALOT, you're going to wreak havoc on your rings. You're taking spark from the engine and then dumping fuel right into the cylinders. The combustion mix doesn't ignite inside. Most goes out the valve and through the exhaust. Some fuel goes past your piston rings and into the oil...making your oil thinner (a.k.a less effective at preventing friction). Check it sometime, your oil will smell like gas. You can slow this process down by changing you oil more often and shooting flames less often.

where is Ludacris when ya need him??....oh, oh wait there he is!

ludacrispictures2_copy.jpg

VibrantRedGT said:
Just one question. Why?
i think we think alike btw...

Anthony

I was just thinking about this whole flame thing. It might work to try doing it with propane, maybe install a small tank in your trunk and then run it to your exhaust with some copper tubing, then have some kind of ignitor switch (like the kind they use in potato guns) that runs up to the front. Then it would be like a big propane torch coming out the back when you gas it :D

That way it would not be wreckin your engine

Maybe I am on crack but it seems like this may be possible if you really wanted to do it :flame:

TrevorB123 said:
I was just thinking about this whole flame thing. It might work to try doing it with propane, maybe install a small tank in your trunk and then run it to your exhaust with some copper tubing, then have some kind of ignitor switch (like the kind they use in potato guns) that runs up to the front. Then it would be like a big propane torch coming out the back when you gas it :D

Maybe I am on crack but it seems like this may be possible if you really wanted to do it :flame:

:stupid:

TrevorB123 said:

Uhhhh.. propane installed, and secured to car=BAD!!! Also, I dont really see how burning something within yout exaust pipes could be harmfull to an engine.
Tacky maybe.. but nothing that will damage anything.

Even the BOOM sound, from ignition point, to the exaust valve.. there is going to be more pressure pushing it out of the exhaust (nullifies the shock wave) than tward it.

Anyway,.. anyone that is even thinking about planting a propane tank in the hatch.. trunk.. whatever. DONT DO IT!!!!

gcomfx.com said:
Are you for real? Your computer must be going nuts. If I keep my fuel rich (like at 43 when I'm spraying) and then I daily drive it like that... my CEL light starts randomly coming on. Just a rich condition in the banks. Turn it down to 39-40 and it's fine.

What is yours set at???

Hi Paul,

my fuel mixture was rich at one point in time. I was tuned with an 11:1 overall a/f ratio, with 40psi base fuel pressure w/ the vacuum on. The a/f ratio however was controlled via a chip that I had burned, but, I am positive that I changed this a/f ratio by adding 3 more psi of boost.
The car mainly blew flames when I ran a higher octane at the track. I ran a mix of 115 a few years ago, and found out the hard way that this slowed me down, and burned up my O2 sensors. Again, this was a few years ago when I was new to the game.
At time it would still blow flames if I hit the MSD limiter as it was cutting the spark,but keeping the fuel going...just dumping fuel basically.

Dan