Got my Kona!

stangbear427

Nov 11, 2002
New England
:nice: :nice: :nice:
Not to re-open the age old argument, but I put this in tech because TECHnically, I believe this is the best shifter made. Period. Anyway, I've had my Pro5.0 for quite awhile, and even with my long arms I have to admit the reach is out there for 1-3-5. I had a Tri-Ax before this one, and the handle position was the only thing I liked about it. When I put the Pro5.0 in, I tried it with the Tri-Ax lever first as I've heard this is popular. Unfortunately it was made out of the same aluminum crap that the rest of the Steeda peice was, so it had the same dull, mushy feel that it had on the Steeda base. Then I came upon Kona Racing. For anyone thinking to get a Pro5.0, or any shifter for that matter, they not only have the best price on PowerTower's that I've seen but they sell it with thier own shift lever which is a virtual clone of the Steeda Tri-Ax lever, only made out of billet steel using the same techniques Pro5.0 uses in thier own. I just ordered the Kona lever and put it in tonight. Same great handle position as the Steeda, with the same crisp, positive rock solid feel of the Pro5.0. Kona Racing seems to be a real small company trying to get their name out, and they could really use the business- not to mention I think they offer a tried and true superior product at a great price. The website is worth a look. Highly recommended! Thanks for reading.

http://www.konaracing.com/

:nice: :nice: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Stangbear, i remember a few weeks ago that you mentioned Kona. i saved their site then, for future reference. glad to hear you are happy with it - i know you dont like second-string type components. good to hear. enjoy!

Anybody else gotten the Pro5.0 with the Kona handle? After much debate, ordered mine to replace my stock shifter back on 4/15 and it's not due to arrive until 5/3, just within the 7-12 business days they said it would take...

I'm hoping to get a little more input from those who've purchased this shifter...Thanks in advance...dd

Still lovin' it :D

They are kinda slow, but they are also small... they make them in small batches because they don't sell many. Still the best price on a Pro5.0 around though, and a great solid lever that's easy to reach too. :nice:

Looks like a nice deal. My shifter arm is home made, out of a stock arm. Basically, cut out the "Z bend" from the entire arm and weld the straight part at the top to the bottom part of the arm. It's reeeeally short....shorter than anything you can buy. I hated it at first (it's a loaner) but it's really growing on me, and i've NEVER missed 3rd with this thing, and that's with the stock Tremec shifter. I did save their site though, i'm eventually getting the P5.0 so this seems like a great deal.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost, shipping included? Also, what about that titanium arm?? Looks pretty sweet, but titanium is known for not taking any flex whatsoever, so i think it would break before the steel would..

You know, I'm not sure. I know it came to less than $200 for everything including shipping- that was a complete shifter for my Dad's '01 GT and an extra shift lever for me. They tossed in my lever for $15 and no extra shipping. So at the most, it would have been $185 (what most places charge for the Pro5.0 before tax and shipping) but I think it was less. As for the titanium- it won't take as much flex, but it's stronger and will take more force to get it to flex. The steel will flex and go on to break before the titanium will have a problem. The issue that comes in is that it is a harder metal than steel, so it isn't as forgiving when it comes to chipping when hit by other hard objects. Not an issue in this application. It is also lighter, which may allow for an even faster shift, though I couldn't say. I was going to get it just for it's exotic coolness factor, but satisfied myself with the steel since I love the feel of the steel one that comes with the original PowerTower, and hated the feel of the aluminum ones I've used. Not knowing how I'd like the sound it would make :rolleyes:, I went with the tried and true material instead.

Wow- I posted this thread a month ago and now all my friends are stopping in! :banana:

That pic was taken when it still had the original Pro5.0 lever on it, not the Kona. Most of the reason I was able to get it so short was the double adjustable nob. It's shorter than the stock nob, deep threaded, and double threaded. I could actually have set it about three inches taller, but I liked it short. Cute, wudn't it? I'll get an updated pic soon, although it doesn't look much taller with the Kona lever- just closer to the driver. Just what I wanted.

OK, here's an updated pic w/ the Kona lever, in reverse.
432856_162_full.jpg

You have trouble reaching it with the harness? That might be a problem then.

What is the difference on the two pics? I can't tell any difference at all! If that was an old shot, what does it look like now?

I don't have trouble reaching with the harness anymore. I guess the difference would be more obvious if I took it from the same angle as the old one- that kind of screwed up the comparrison. I'll try to take a better one tomorrow. It's actually about two inches closer.

That arm is still longer than the one on my car....lol I dont have a console though so it doesnt look as short as it really is. If i had a console the ball would probably be about 1 inch above the top of it. I love that shifter ball though :nice:

I think I wants to get one. Hell for 35.00 for the titanium I will never have to worry about breaking a handle (Have the Tri_ax with the original billet handle), and it will be closer to the rear of the shifter, looks like it will be easier to shift while strapped in the harness.