Got my new axle with gears, have questions.

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. The other day my stock rear differential with 2.73s blew up, so I bought a low mile 8.8 with 3.73s. The axle was installed a few hours ago. I was one of two guys doing the job. We inspected the diff, and it was in great shape, the gears are FMS brand, and had no visible wear (knicks, grooves, etc.). We put in new Motorcraft 80W-90 gear oil and friction modifier when we sealed the diff back up.
On the ride home, however, I began hearing a dragging sound coming from the rear of the car. We had to swap over my rear brake setup from the old axle because the new brakes were thrashed ( my old axle had brand new semi metallic shoes and new drums, so I didn't want to waste them), so I assumed it was just the shoes dragging before they had adjusted. Also, I get a very soft howling sound from my rear only when I turn. It sounds like a rusty swing being swung, but it's repeated at the same pace as my speed and is softer in tone. It only happens when I take hard corners, and goes away when I straighten out. If anyone knows where these sounds are coming from, please let me know. Thanks a ton! :nice:

PS- we also installed a FRPP aluminum drive shaft.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe 15. I went for a quick ride down the road, all felt good, came back, cleaned up, and drove ten minutes highway and 5 minutes street to get home. I have to drive up there again tomorrow for school, so I figure if it hasn't gone away by then, I'll go see my mechanic and have him take a look.

It looked fine, no signs of damage. Besides, JYs are hesitant to sell something like that if it's been hit, it's just a law suit waiting to happen. Do axles need any lubrication? I could easily turn them with my hands when the car was on the lift and in neutral. I hope it just settles in and works out.

could be something rubbing on the driveshaft since the diameter is much larger. make sure it's not the e-brake cables, if you get it on the lift again, check to see if there is a wear pattern on the driveshaft, like something was touching it, if you think it's thr drums, then after driving, see if one drum is hotter than the other, be careful not to get burnt, they can heat up pretty good if you use the brakes hard. Make sure the e-brake cables aren't sticking either

i cant remember the noise my rearend made when i changed it over...but when i turned i think it howled slightly..i think if they sit for a while the clutch plates in there get dried out sorta..cause it doesnt make the noise nemore..and i also added the limited slip diff additive