Got My Pig Dyno Tuned Yesterday! Very Happy!

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share my experiences from my Dyno tune yesterday. Just to bring you up to speed, I did the full top end on my car about a year and a half ago. I left the stock bottom end with 159,000 on it (174,000 now). I went with unported gt-40 Y's, 1.6 FMS roller rockers, untouched 94-95 FMS Cobra Intake, FMS B-303 cam, ceramic coated mac 1 5/8 shorties, 24# injectors, 75 mm Pro-M mass air and a BBK 70 mm throttle body. Of course I had all kinds of idle and driveability issues but I tuned on it constantly and thought it ran better. Before the motor work, it pulled 205 HP and 271 TQ with a cold air and pro-chamber. Imagine my surprise yesterday when the first pull netted 247 HP and 269 TQ. This was the way I had been driving it for over a year. I was a little bummed to say the least. I had spent a lot of money(in my checkbook anyway) and there was not that much difference. After 5 chip burns and 5 more pulls I left with 280 HP and 310 TQ. HOLY CRAP! TOTALLY different car now! The car really responded to the SCT chip. The throttle response is SOOOOOOO much better. I highly recommend this to all of the guys out there that are having problems with their combo's. I was determined that I could make it run without a chip. Well, it ran but not very well evidently. I am in Atlanta by the way, so if anyone needs a good 5.0 shop head over to Prospeed in Powder Springs. They are great guys.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, that's an awesome gain! I'll probably end up going the SCT chip direction myself. I just don't want to spend the time to learn how to and how NOT to tune a car. I can't afford the parts if I screw something up.

So how is the idle now?

GCom,

The idle is pretty decent. Had to bump it up a little to get the cleanest idle possible. I had it at about 800. Sounded great but it would NOT hot idle at all. Now it is about 950. You can still hear the cam but it is not quite as rough any more. It was worth it though because the car is much more pleasurable to drive. Now I really wish I had kept my Zex kit. I am sure it would have been a lot of fun. Oh Well, I can always get another kit.

Did they happen to say what change made the biggest gains in HP and Torque during the 5 changes?

I too am interested in a rough idea of pricing. To me, if we spend $300 or so on an intake to get 20-30 HP then 40HP and better drivability is worth a lot! :nice:

hey man that is awsome I am about to have my car dyno tuned in a few days but I am going with diablo stuff. I am getting mine done with Kinetic Motorsports in Buford GA. I have pretty much the same mods as you so I am hoping to have some of the same numbers as you. Do you have any tips or anything that really helped get your car those awsome numbers? Like timing or fuel pressure or anything?
thanks
Louie

Hey Guys,

The total for the Chip and all of the Dyno pulls was under 400 bucks. This car is an absolute pleasure to drive now! I had considered selling it because of the poor driveability but now it is not going anywhere. The biggest difference came from more fuel and timing. I had the FPR set at 38 with the vacuum line removed and the base timing was supposedly set at 14 degrees (it did not ping with 89 octane in it but they told me that the aluminum heads helped with that). The first pull had a Air/Fuel ratio of like 14.3:1. UM LEAN!!! I do not remember how much fuel he put into it but I know that it made the best pull with 37 degrees of total timing. We tried 39 degrees total timing and it lost 6 hp and 9 ft/lbs of tq. When we finished testing the A/f ratio was in the low 12's (I can't remember the exact number).
All I can tell you is that the throttle now feels like it is connected to the car instead of feeling like there is a lag when you hit the pedal. Prospeed also set my lowspeed fan to come on at 190 and high speed to come on at 210. That is when we found out that my CCRM is bad. It is not allowing my low speed fan to come on at all. How expensive is a CCRM? Is it worth trying to get one from a junk yard from a low mileage car? I have a fan controller from Mustangs Unlimited. Should I put that on? Will that help my problem at all? The fan is about 2 years old (brand new from Ford). Thanks for all of the help over the years and let me know if there are any other questions about the chip and stuff.

yeah my car before and after the tune was like night and day

i didnt get dynod, just got a street tune

on the first run my A/F was up near 16:1 :eek:

tuned it to 12.9-12.7 to be safe and wow what a difference

ported/polished/milled gt40p's, untouched cobra intake, 2031 cam, 24lb injectors, 70mm tb, pro-m maf, bbk headers, prochamber

Hey Suspect,

Yeah, that is them. Nothing but great things to say about em. They have a strong following too. Many cars over there getting worked on. They are VERY nice and down to earth. I probably asked 5 thousand questions and they never got frustrated with me. Owners name is Jeff. They work on all kinds of ford products. They currently have a Marauder(SP?) in there that runs 10.60's at 4300+ pounds. It was impressive!