got Nitrous now what...

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
bought a used nos kit off another site. setup now with a 100 shot. what will I need to do to run this kit so I can do it as safe as possible. Included was the 10lb bottle, bottle brackets, lines, shark nozzle, solinoids. help me out a little...never dealt with nitrous much before...cant wait. will I need to use a colder spark plug, retard my timing

here is what I got...(well getting first thing in the AM
View attachment 332053

• Sponsors (?)

just check the kit

just hook up the power and the ground and make sure both are working. i dont know what u have your timing at when i ran nos on my car i ran 14 degress of timing and i was spraying 125. u need to get your fuel pressure up. i would get a pruge kit on it to be safe. as the spark plugs i would just use the stock ones and just make the plug gap alitttle closer and i would put new plugs in it . when u wire it up make sure make that both things are working

get yourself some Autolite 23's gapped to .035, and drop your timing down to 10 degrees to start. don't do a full on test run try it in like 3rd above 3,000 hit it for like 3-5 seconds and abort if you hear anything funny (detonation) check your plugs! work your way up in timing till you hear detonation then back off 2 degrees. I would also suggest an upgrade in fuel pump to atleast a 190 or so and a regulator.

I did my tests in 3rd and now my trans whines, Ive heard 3rd is the weakest gear and 4th is the strongest. So I would try the test pull like he says above but do it in 4th.

both faststang and punisher are correct... run extra rich with the fuel pressure to start... like 50 psi. Also be sure to back that timing down real low to start. I would also goto a speed shop or online and find a WOT switch so it wont spray unless u have ur foot on the floor.

i never stated to run over rich!!! running rich with nos is just as bad as lean in my eyes i use the same tune up n/a as i do with nos the kit is wet it will add its own fuel to compensate. leave your fuel pressure set at 42, use colder plugs and work from 8-10 degrees timing up till you get detonation.

The basic rule of thumb is to pull 2* of timing for every 50hp increase in nitrous. So if you run a 50 hp shot and your timing is usually at 13* drop it back to 11*. If you feel that you can increase it then go ahead.

Up to a 100 shot I ran the stock heat range plugs gapped at .035" up to a 100 shot. After that I dropped down a heat range for each 50 hp increase.

I also would recommend the following other pieces, most of which has already been said but you really need them to keep it safe. A window switch, I have mine at 3k on and 6k off. It has saved my ass on missed shifts. WOT switch, you don't want to spray nitrous, especially a wet kit, at other throttle positions than WOT since you can get puddling in the upper and that is not a good scene. I would also upgrade the fuel pump, you'll probably be ok with a 100 shot but anymore and you will definitely need an upgrade, I run a 255 LPH pump. If you want to run it at the track, depending on how strict they, you will also need a blowdown tube. I didn't see one in the pic but I also might have missed it.

Run the stock fuel pressure since it is a wet kit.

If you are at the track and make a nitrous pass and want to check the plugs get on the return road and shut the car down and check them as soon as you get off the track. The drive back to the pits can hide the signs of detonation. Look for silver flecks on the sparkplug porcelain and any other damage to the plug, broken electrode and such.

Other than that start small and get comfortable with everything before moving up in power. And it is extremely addictive so have fun.

The blowdown tube attaches to the bottle. There is a burst disc, a type of pressure relief valve on the bottle. You put the blow down tube on to the bottle where the burst disc is and if for some reason the bottle pressure ever goes way too high the burst disc pops and lets the bottle vent. The blow down tube just directs the venting nitrous out of the car so it doesn't fill up the car with nitrous gas.

Go and get a plate aswell. I think the plate system is a better way to go then the 1 nozzle drilled into TB. by the way, back timing down 2 degrees for every 50 hp shot of juice. For every 100hp shot of juice go with 1 step colder plugs. I have a 150 shot I take 6 degrees of timing out and I have 2 step colder plugs. You want to have around a 12-12.5 to 1 AFR. Follow the instructions. download them of the net. You will be fine. That HP is addictive.