Got rid of my o/r X for a o/r H today

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
Intalled a O/R X on my 96' about 2 years ago and hated it plus shortly after I put the new PI motor in the car developed a rattle that I could not find to save my life and it was driving me up the wall when I drove it. I finally got sick of it enough to buy a BBK O/R H from Summit and installed it today.

I perfectly satisfied with the sound now. No more raspy exhaust note and the best part is the rattle is gone. Looking over the old X I still cant figure out what where the hell it was comming from.

Now all that is left is to buy a new cat back to replace the old Flowmasters that I welded in. I'm thinking Mac this time around.

• Sponsors (?)

Your exhaust pipe was hitting the trans crossmember. Its a common thing to happen, alot of people dont even notice it when they install that it is close but once the engine is running and vibrating it starts contacting it.

That was the first place I looked at. Never did it with the old NPI setup. There was good bit of room between the x-member and the pipe. At any rate, the rattle is gone now.

I ran a o/r h-pipe and MAC flowpath cat-back when my car was mostly stock. It sounded good, but at the time I was DD'ing it and got sick of the drone and noise. I then installed a Magnaflow catted x-pipe and it sounded damn good in the upper RPM's but was real quiet when cruising around town. Recently I installed the MAC o/r h-pipe again and OMG I'm in love. My car sounds incredible now, I think the cams really helped improve the exhaust note though.

I ran a o/r h-pipe and MAC flowpath cat-back when my car was mostly stock. It sounded good, but at the time I was DD'ing it and got sick of the drone and noise. I then installed a Magnaflow catted x-pipe and it sounded damn good in the upper RPM's but was real quiet when cruising around town. Recently I installed the MAC o/r h-pipe again and OMG I'm in love. My car sounds incredible now, I think the cams really helped improve the exhaust note though.

Well, my X was a cheapo Summit brand. I am sure that there is a better choice if someone has to have an X that will sound good with a good cat back. I know what you mean about the drone. I daily drove my 87' GT for 6 years with a Mac o/r H and Flowmaster cat back and the drone can get to you but I love the sound.