Got Some Detonation Going On.

• Sponsors (?)

DoHcHoLlIdAy01 said:
Don't go into too much detail. :nice:

along the same lines, you are talking about your terminator right? I get cornfuzed with all these sig cars :confused:

it should pull timing to prevent that, unless the IAT sensors are not working properly (plugged back in?), are you sure you didn't get some crappy, low octane gas? did you happen to peak at where the temp gauge was when it was happening???

you didn't touch those little wires in the MAF did you? only sprayed electrical cleaner on and let them air dry, right.

a lot of stuff can cause the pinging and none of them are good, it happens when you turn your A/C on because it increase the load, were you going up a hill at the same time?

- 04_snake

MAYBE if you give more details, we could help you better.

Kind of car
Miles on car
distance driven in a day, freeway or city
do you short shift it
what brand of oil

Thousands of thing could cause ping, # 1 is the drivers driving habits...........

These car no like to put around, the need to be run out.

Still sounds like carbon build up, do you take lots of short trips under 25 miles???Also remember the car runs hoter with the A/C on.........
My Cobra was also pinging, so I took some timing out........no more problem.

These cars come with a crappy tune from the factory.

My Cobra is stock, I flasher the computer.
No more TC, ping and MPG went up.
Best $350 spent.......

Sounds like you have an '01 that was/is a "pinger." Under heavy load (or w/ AC turned on), a small handful of '01s would ping. There was technically no cure for this. Ford did offer a computer/PCM reflash to help alleviate the problem, but I don't think it helped out very much IIRC.

Some possible "fixes" that owners tried on their own were: switching to one step colder sparkplugs or using higher octane fuel (if available, ie - 93 instead of 91).

Background: The following BON thread should help:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4069&hl=

What everybody above said is good and some '01's are pingers true enough.

I'm in LA too and I have found on my '01 is that is is sensitive to our CRAPPY gas. Shop around and try different brands. And don't forget the same brand changes quality batch for batch.

We're so special in CA. They rip us off on price and sell us the poorest possible quality product.

mustangrmyk said:
...I'm in LA too and I have found on my '01 is that is is sensitive to our CRAPPY gas. Shop around and try different brands...

I agree with trying a different brand of fuel or even a few different gas stations. Good advice. It's possible the fuel could have been poor in quality (ie - lower octane than advertised at the pump, for example).

BTW - Is 91 octane the highest you guys in CA have at gas stations? :shrug:

whocares said:
...Your car is neither supercharged or turbo charged so detonation will not be an issue...

That statement couldn't have been further from the truth. Detonation (aka: pinging, or I suppose "pre-detonation" if you wanted the specific term) is an equal opportunity engine destroyer. :D It can be harmful for a naturally aspirated engine just the same as it can for a vehicle running a power adder. Marbles in a can = bad.

Mt '01 pings like a mofo too. Very sensitive to temperature - run it to work on a cold morning and it's a champ, run it home the same afternoon in 90 degrees plus and it's marbles city. I'm going to try going one gap colder plugs next and swap out my MAC hot air intake for a JLT. We'll see.

I am sure some of you get tired of me saying it, but I swear by Valvoline's annual fuel treatment for $8-9. Then use their regular fuel treatment $3-4 once a quarter or even once a month if it's a daily driver. And no, I don't work for Valvoline.

mcnaz said:
Mt '01 pings like a mofo too. Very sensitive to temperature - run it to work on a cold morning and it's a champ, run it home the same afternoon in 90 degrees plus and it's marbles city. I'm going to try going one gap colder plugs next and swap out my MAC hot air intake for a JLT. We'll see.

I too would like to know whether a cai might help, and maybe a chip too.

Funny thing my girlfriend says the Cobra runs like poo when it HOT out.

Like car loses power..............

Scanner says max 185 degrees............

Guess time to due some data loging when I get home..........