Got tired of the old Twin Turbo setup, trying something new...*PICTURES*

yo Pete. how big of a down pipe are you running? I had to take out my brake booster, and upgraded it to a hydraulic brake booster, it is about 1/3 the size of our huge black canister. plus its an upgrade at the same time. going from vaccuum to hydraulic is the ****. that should also help my car from surging at slow stops...

The reason i did that was because the 3" downpipe on the drivers side was not going to clear easy enough. I would have had to stick a bunch of angles in there or possibly have to lower to 2.5" and i didnt want to do that. I measured and had appx 2.76" of clearence between my head and brake booster, thats not counting where the header was going to end up sitting, so i said to hell with it, im upping to hydraulic brake booster. It uses power steering fluid so some stainless steel braided lines helped me out there....

oh yea, and the brake lines, im considering relocating that block as well and running stainless steel braided lines in that place also. just for sake of heat......

how big is your IC now peter?!

• Sponsors (?)

Buggapimp5.0 said:
yo Pete. how big of a down pipe are you running? I had to take out my brake booster, and upgraded it to a hydraulic brake booster, it is about 1/3 the size of our huge black canister. plus its an upgrade at the same time. going from vaccuum to hydraulic is the ****. that should also help my car from surging at slow stops...

The reason i did that was because the 3" downpipe on the drivers side was not going to clear easy enough. I would have had to stick a bunch of angles in there or possibly have to lower to 2.5" and i didnt want to do that. I measured and had appx 2.76" of clearence between my head and brake booster, thats not counting where the header was going to end up sitting, so i said to hell with it, im upping to hydraulic brake booster. It uses power steering fluid so some stainless steel braided lines helped me out there....

oh yea, and the brake lines, im considering relocating that block as well and running stainless steel braided lines in that place also. just for sake of heat......

how big is your IC now peter?!

I am definantly nowhere near a 3" downpipe, if im not mistaking, its 2 1/4 on each side.

And I am going to utilize my H pipe without modifications.

I havent begun attempting to build my intercooler yet, I still have the driver side turbo to mount.

Arent you going with t3's? Why the large downpipe size?

BTW, how much is the hydraulic setup? I havent heard of that before... sounds like fun!

Pete

yellow5.0cobra said:
I am definantly nowhere near a 3" downpipe, if im not mistaking, its 2 1/4 on each side.

And I am going to utilize my H pipe without modifications.

I havent begun attempting to build my intercooler yet, I still have the driver side turbo to mount.

Arent you going with t3's? Why the large downpipe size?

BTW, how much is the hydraulic setup? I havent heard of that before... sounds like fun!

Pete
Pete im doing t3/t04's, im going large 3" so i can get the faster spool up, for less backpressure you know. I think 3" is ideal for my setup.

I also am doing my x pipe without modifications. I finally got my bar and plate IC mounted, i need to grab some pics and post them. its 30x10x3".

the hydraulic setup is costing me maybe 200 bucks? junkyard booster plus new master cylinder and some lines.... i dont think many have done it yet, at least that i have read on the forums. I'll let you know how it turns out lol....

89 blue lx said:
pete why not make that engine and engine bay all pretty while the stuff is out? anyway it looks awesome man that will def be fun when you are done. one last thing can you post pics of all of your cars i would really like to see all of them

I would like to make everything nice and shiny, but eh, its just too time consuming and my fingers and knuckles are in too much pain as it is!

I can only find pics of my 97 Vert(got a new computer, lost all files on my old comp, so whatever I have floating on the web is all I can get for now).

post-11-1063331971.jpg

post-11-1063332067.jpg

post-11-1063332115.jpg

:flag:

Quick question for ya, looking at the location of your passenger side turbo it looks to be really close to your TB; How are you going to keep the air intake charge cool with it there? Any intercooler? possibly exhaust heat tape? I'm interested to know all of the above for future reference. Also does the length of the exhaust plumbing to the turbo have anything to do with spooling? EX. shorter length faster spooling vs longer length slow spool?? So far looks great. I'm only asking because a friend of mine's father worked for turbo city and told me he would sell me two turbos for 800.00 a piece without any plumbing, Basically just head units. There good for up to 20 lbs of boost each. I asked for pics first so I could post them here.

Thanks for the pics mike.

I was pondering that idea as well, but I think I can pull it off with plenty of clearance. HOPEFULLY. If i measured correctly(the car is not in my garage, it is at another location about few blocks away, its not that easy to run out and measure and come back in...etc.

Pete

WHITE94COBRA said:
Quick question for ya, looking at the location of your passenger side turbo it looks to be really close to your TB; How are you going to keep the air intake charge cool with it there? Any intercooler? possibly exhaust heat tape? I'm interested to know all of the above for future reference. Also does the length of the exhaust plumbing to the turbo have anything to do with spooling? EX. shorter length faster spooling vs longer length slow spool?? So far looks great. I'm only asking because a friend of mine's father worked for turbo city and told me he would sell me two turbos for 800.00 a piece without any plumbing, Basically just head units. There good for up to 20 lbs of boost each. I asked for pics first so I could post them here.

The length to the turbo DOES affect spool time without a doubt.

The turbo is very close to the T/B but it is the "COLD SIDE" of the turbo, so im not THAT worried. If the HOT side was near the TB then I would WORRY about serious heat issues. But that few inches of clearance from the hot side to the t/b is good enough. I have a DUAL scoop Cervini hood, and I have already made plans for cooling passages... so it isnt much of an issue.

I AM going to run INTERCOOLER, I am in the process of obtaining 3 DSM core's, cut them up and send them out for welding(I dont KNOW how to weld aluminum).

Also $800 a piece per turbo is a pretty price tag, and you can get a nice single big trim turbo for that price and have fun. Hell you can go buy a T04 series turbo($375~+) and have lots of fun. Ask MIKE(OINK) he will vouch on that!

I have a T04 on the 82 and its PLENTY enough. TRUST ME. You dont need twins for serious power.

Hope I answered your questions and concerns.

BTW, here is a SWEET vid of a TURBOMUSTANGS.COM member(TurboSN95) to get your adrenaline flowing.
http://members.cox.net/turbonegro/turbosn95.wmv

Pete

Video included too!

UPDATES!

90% finished the header(just one small portion yet to weld).

post-4-1075351360.jpg

So many turbos, so little time... which ones to use??? Hmmm...

post-4-1075351425.jpg

Here is the T04 turbo mounted on the passenger side.

post-4-1075351699.jpg

BIG exhaust!

post-4-1075351576.jpg

Maybe tomorrow if I have a chance, I will finish all the welds and do the driver side turbo.

Thanks Gino for making the nice compilation video of the hard work we have been doing on this very custom project. (he is the one with the DARK blue ****, I am the light blue long sleeve shirt.) :nice:

Here is the video of the progress... it is still images, compiled with music and work progress. THE VIDEO

BTW, it is in QUICKTIME format.

Pete