got to buy a compressor - need your advice pls

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
I need an air compressor for things around here, and also to paint my car when the time comes. Might use it for air tools like ratchet, sanding, and a cut-off wheel (not much use). But I'd like to keep it under $300 just for a temporary 1-2 year use until I can afford a big-boy tank.

My spray gun is Advantage No.90103 Gravity HVLP and i cannot find specifications other then it says air pressure 1.3~4.8(18 ~ 70) on the box. Is the 1.3~4.8 the CFM?

Here's the candidates I'm curious would work for this kind of stuff.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Craftsman 26 gal. Vertical Compressor - Model 16770 at Sears.com
Kobalt at Lowe's: 1.5-HP (Peak), 26-Gallon Portable Air Compressor

We painted my car with my dad's compressor and it was 6.4 SCFM @ 90psi and it's a 6HP craftsman with this spray gun (this next paint job will be it's 2nd use). I just cannot find that at sears.

P.S. anyone have any pictures of a classic mustang that is midnight blue? I'm thinking of going with this paint for my 1st paintjob: Midnight Blue Urethane Basecoat Clear Coat Kit Featuring 5 Star Clear Coat: Automotive Paint, Auto Paint, Car Paint

• Sponsors (?)

I have the craftsman one and love it. It sucks up a lot of juice though and it trips my circuits a lot, but then again I run a lot of crap off of it. I don't think you can really go wrong. Just make sure when using the tools that no water is getting into the line. That happens with mine sometimes and screws the thing up.

It's mostly cuase I forget to run the compressor in open mode for a few minutes before closing it to let all excess condensation blow out.

I work with air tools allot and have always advised to buy your first and last compressor at the same time (the compressor you really want). $300 now, then $600 later, now you have $900 wrapped up, 1/3 of it unnecessarily.

OTOH, there are times I would like to have had a small portable unit I could take off property or wheel around here instead of having to run 150+ feet of air line.

DAMN, why aren't these things cut and dry.

Since this is a "starter" compressor I would get a horizontal tank with wheels, the horizontal tank is a bit more stable when being moved around, otoh thats really a minor consideration.

I don't know if these things are made any longer but if they are STAY AWAY FROM THE "OILESS COMPRESSORS". Damned things make a racket that will drive you freaking batty.

I don't know if these things are made any longer but if they are STAY AWAY FROM THE "OILESS COMPRESSORS". Damned things make a racket that will drive you freaking batty.

I think all three listed are Oilless.

Here is the one I got.

Its more than you said, but this Campbell Hausfeld has been great for me since 2001. It runs on 240V so you will need to have a dedicated outlet wired in. I fastened mine to the garage floor with rubber/wood pads that I made. It has a cast iron compressor which will probably outlast me. (stay away from aluminum) It is a single stage two cylinder.

My old Craftsman "oilless" type took a crap when I started using it for sandblasting. It was noisy as hell and also it caused the lights to dim everytime it kicked on. The new 240V dedicated circuit eliminated that issue.

View attachment 256327

I used to have one similar to the craftsman listed above and I couldn't take the noise. I paid $300 ish for it with an air ratchet. It ran all day long and would rattle your teeth loose. The DA and the cutoff wheel seemed to spend more time sitting and waiting for the compressor catchup than actually using the tool. I couldn't imagine trying to paint a car with it.

I currently have a 60 gallon sanborn (colemans upmarket brand) 155 psi cast iron single stage compressor that cost $399 and I got $50 bucks off cause it was on sale. This thing will run all day long. I can sand an entire car with a DA and you never have to slow down. Sure the thing will run but because it goes up to 155 psi and most tools run at 90 psi it can replenish the tank and the tool can continue working while it's doing so. Would I have been better to spend the extra $50 in the first place. Hell yes I would have but I didn't listen to anybody who told me what we are telling you.

Buy the biggest damn one you can afford. If you can't afford at least a 60 gallon single stage oil lubricated cast iron compressor then wait. A 2 stage would be even better but that basically doubles the price and I am not sure the return on the extra $$$ is really worth it.

I will agree with the above post. I do spend more time waiting for it to get back up to 90PSI then I do actually doing stuff.

I will look to upgrade before I do paint on my car that's for sure but for a starter it was fine. That and I got it on sale too.

Buy the biggest damn one you can afford. If you can't afford at least a 60 gallon single stage oil lubricated cast iron compressor then wait.

But sometimes you can't wait .... waiting for the compressor to build pressure is often times better than kacking oneself with a breaker bar trying to get off a lug nut.

I have a 60 gallon tank, the only reason I would want a bigger tank would be so the air had more time to cool and condense before going into the air system.

Cast iron, thanks for reminding me, a steel sleeved aluminum pump should last as long as a full iron pump, BUT cast iron absorbs noise making the full on iron pump quieter.

A 2 stage would be even better but that basically doubles the price and I am not sure the return on the extra $$$ is really worth it.

Not quite doubles it but sure does add a chunk of money.

What you post about doubting the value of the extra cost is the truth, I have a I-R vertical twin 2 stage 175 psi pump (should have got the V) and when working in the shop I think the cost wasn't worth it. Then I string 100 + (++) feet of air line, turn the system regulator to 140, and put a second regulator with separator/filter at point of use and it was worth it.

:shrug:

BTW, buy quality air tools.

Guess I've got to think long and hard about this one. I know purchasing the smaller compressor right now would cost me more in the long-run, but it's most cost effective at this point in time. I could always use a compressor at work and have the grand-daddy compressor when I'm able to buy or rent a house. I just started a business in March, money is tight. I'm still researching on how to paint, if I got the smaller one and just did the primer/paint in sections - would that effect the quality tremendously? (not looking for show-quality, but at least a 20 footer) I figure you could spray the quarter, wait to recharge, spray another section, and so on..? I haven't sprayed anything other than aerosol cans so I cannot guestimate how long I could spray with those compressors listed above before losing pressure and needing to recharge.

If you want to paint (and more than just a little at a time), I think you will want a bigger one.

What is the environment you have to put this in/power it with? (Aka, you limitations)

Still undeterrmined. I might be able to paint it at a friend's house on the side of his garage, I'll have to put up plastic though. In that case I would need it to be portable. Till that point I'll be doing bodywork here at work in the back parking lot by running the hose out the back door... since I don't have a garage to properly work on this thing.

well, my first compressor was a hand-me-down, a fairly small one about 20-30 gallons and it was really old, really LOUD, leaked air, tripped breakers, etc. but, it did the job for a long long time, I used it until I was able to buy a 60 gallon compressor recently that is awesome. see if you can find a used one on craigslist from someone who is upgrading and save yourself a ton of money so you can save for a better one later.

I have a 60 gallon tank, the only reason I would want a bigger tank would be so the air had more time to cool and condense before going into the air system.

I forgot to mention that I have 140 feet of 1 inch iron pipe in my garage attic and the compressor is in the basement. I have 2 drops with drains plus the main drain where the compressor is plugged into the system. Obviously this isn't a setup that someone renting would put in. It does remove all the condensation so the 60 gallon works fine with all the extra plumbing.

Before I put all the plumbing in I ran it in the garage and I did have some condensation when running full on for more than 30 minutes.

What you post about doubting the value of the extra cost is the truth, I have a I-R vertical twin 2 stage 175 psi pump (should have got the V) and when working in the shop I think the cost wasn't worth it. Then I string 100 + (++) feet of air line, turn the system regulator to 140, and put a second regulator with separator/filter at point of use and it was worth it.

In that scenario yeah the 2 stage would be beneficial.

I guess the key when buying a compressor is:

How are you planning on using it?
Do you own or rent?

Those 2 things really play a role in which compressor to buy. If I rented I would not buy anything bigger than 33 gallon 110v. Obviously you can't just put 220 outlets wherever you want when you rent. When it's time to move you will be happy you don't have to move a big vertical compressor.

I will reiterate this point DO NOT BUY AN OIL LESS machine.

Craigslist is a great idea. You might be able to find an older machine that is of higher quality then what you can afford new. Just make sure everything is in working order. Make sure to open the drain and see if water is in the tank. Let it try to build pressure with the drain open and see what comes out of the drain. Test the recharge mechanism to make sure it cycles on and off correctly.

I forgot to mention that I have 140 feet of 1 inch iron pipe in my garage attic and the compressor is in the basement. I have 2 drops with drains plus the main drain where the compressor is plugged into the system. Obviously this isn't a setup that someone renting would put in. It does remove all the condensation so the 60 gallon works fine with all the extra plumbing.

I went the iron pipe route also, 3/4 inch in a "T", 3 ball valve blow downs, 6 drops that go up before they go down, base of the "T" has a QC for 1/2 line, standard stuff.

Unless running a compressed air air conditioner or descant you never really get all the moisture out.

I guess the key when buying a compressor is:

How are you planning on using it?
Do you own or rent?

I will reiterate this point DO NOT BUY AN OIL LESS machine.

Unless you live in an apartment and want to piss off everyone around you.

Craigslist is a great idea. You might be able to find an older machine that is of higher quality then what you can afford new. .... Make sure to open the drain and see if water is in the tank.

I was out looking for a used one myself, auctions and ads, and it didn't take long to realize not everyone took care of their tanks. So I bought new.

I looked at one compressor with a 60 gallon tank and a large separator screwed directly into the tank. The separator was half full of water. If the owner wasn't hitting the nipple on the bottom of the separator I doubt he was reaching around and under the tank to blow out the condensation.

I bought the separator, passed on the compressor.

So if buying a used compressor check the drain valve, it should be well used and the seller should be able to cycle the valve pretty much without looking (my drain is cycled before and after every session).

I was at this one auction, got talking to one guy who said his work was getting rid of an old compressor so he scarfed it. The bottom skin of the tank had a leak so he had his buddy weld it up. He didn't see a damned thing wrong with that .... WTF!!!!!

My first and probably last compressor [just unloaded off the truck on Christmas eve, '06]:

aircompressor010.jpg

aircompressor008.jpg

I purchased it from Home Depot. It was ~$1,900.00.

The most demanding tool I use with it is this bead blast cabinet:

blastcabinet.jpg

With the bead blast pressure set at 90 psi, I don't have any noticeable drop in pressure when the compressor kicks on, so I don't have to stop and wait for it to catch back up.

Whatever compressor you are looking to get, make sure it will handle a DA sander, jitter bug sander or an inline sander if you plan to do body work. All three of these air tools demand a lot of air. Otherwise, you will be doing a lot of waiting on the compressor to catch back up.

2-stage compressors build pressure faster than single stage, last longer, and 2-stage compressors are quieter than single stage compressors. It helps even more if you can put the compressor outside of your working area.