Got Zex "Dry" Kit Installed...Need Opinions?

Well, the final connections were made and I did a test run with the Zex "Dry" kit. Ran the smallest shot of 75 HP without changing timing (18*) or plugs.

Holy crap the thing pulls hard in 3rd, defintely an 11 second car now. Any how, I have a few quesitons for the experts. I will step down to a colder plug but if I run just the 75 HP shot, do I need to bump down the timing? I probably won't run the 125 HP since the 75 HP is so effective.

Bottom line, is it safe to run the 75 HP shot at 18* timing on my motor. Here are my mods. Thanks.

DSS Pro Bullet 331 Short Block
AFR 165 Heads, 58cc
Zex "Dry" Nitrous Kit, 125 Shot
Crane PowerMax Cam
Holley SysteMax II Intake
C&L 76mm Mass Air
70mm Throttle Body
30 lbs. Injectors
MSD Ignition System
MAC Longtube Headers
MAC ProChamber H-Pipe
MAC ProDumps Exhaust
BBK Cold Air Induction
Ford Performace Parts 3.73 Gears

• Sponsors (?)

That sounds like a whole lot of timing to be running with even a 75 shot. Definitely run 93 or higher gas and make a few passes with it and pull your plugs to look for signs or detonation or lean/rich condition.

fastfox86 said:
That sounds like a whole lot of timing to be running with even a 75 shot. Definitely run 93 or higher gas and make a few passes with it and pull your plugs to look for signs or detonation or lean/rich condition.

I know how to read for lean/rich, but what do I look for on the plugs for the detonation? Thanks.

im not sure if you can read that off a plug...what i do know is that 18* is high...i know u have a 331 and all but some people run 18* on a 347 like mine and its still high....i couldnt imagine spraying on it too....if i were you i drop it down to 15* till you can find out for sure...wish i could help you more...im just one of those rather be safe kinda people....i mean if you go to 15* ur not gonna lose enough h.p. to make you feel ok if you car detonates whenever you spray...maybe when its on a dyno you can listen to it if its since it wont be moving....also make sure u run the highest fuel you can...im lucky out by my neighboor hood theres a mobile that sells 101 out of the pump for 6 bucks a gallon so if i was ever thinkin of being risky i would use that..just use the general rule...start smal and work ur way up...not the other way around...just like u did with the zex...u wouldnt start with the 125 then work down to 75 its just not safe.

i never heard of that..i mean it sucx but it doesnt you know its safer...u could spring for a msd timing retard and connect it so that once you hit the switch for the juice it adjusts the timing then when you not on the bottle it will return the timing to 18*...as far as that h.p. with timing thing theres probly lots of variables involved there..good luck with that though..i cant wait to run my nx wet system in my 347..just waiting for the c&l inlet pipe..just a few more days...ohh yea and to fix the rear!!!

while ur at it just get the rpm window switch so that it wont turn on under 3000 and turn off at 6000 u spend thousands on the engine y not a couple hundred to ensure it stays alive while u do what u intended to do with it