Gotta Love These Old Fords!

87LX2.3

Apr 23, 2009
Central Iowa
Hey all,
I changed the valve cover gasket on my ol' 2.3 today. After making sure all of the hoses, linkages, nuts, and bolts were all securely tightened, I continued to try to start my car. I was able to get it to start, but I noticed that it was running a little rough. I let it run for a little while, and decided to take it out for a drive (to charge up the battery). When I put it in reverse it started to sputter and finally died. When I try to restart it, it acts like it wants to start but it can't. It turns over, and I can hear the fuel pump come on, but it won't start. I kept trying to start it, but wore the battery down again. Has this ever happened to anyone else who has removed the intake/throttle body assembly? Does any body have any suggestions? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Can old gas cause a no start situation? It cranks over wonderfully, but it acts like it's not getting fuel. However, it did start at first. How can a clog or kink in the line let it start once and then not again?

:rolleyes: Its more than likely a vaccum leak or you forgot to plug something back up. Think about it, did you mess with anything that would involve fuel????? No, you prob didnt with just doing a valve cover gasket. Double check all your elec plugs (t.p.s. , i.a.c, e.g.r ) on the throttle body. Make sure all of your vaccum hoses are hooked up( shouldnt have to worry about them if you just removed the throttle body). A car will run on stale fuel just not very good. We pulled an 88 coupe out of the field where it had been sitting for two years and if fired up no prob with the gas that was in it.

Check to see if you have spark also. I have had the t.f.i. modules ( side of the distributor) go out all of a sudden with no reason to, which will also cause a no start situation.

see what you can figure out and post back

robbo

Thanks guys!
I don't think its the TFI module since I just replaced it a month ago. It might be some vaccum lines because when I was removing the throttle body, I also had to remove the plennem (?) (sorry, I can't spell). I thought I had gotten all of the lines/hoses tightened back up, but maybe I didn't. Also, when I removed the electrical plugs (tpi, egr), the clips were so brittle that they snapped off. When I put them back on, one was loose. So, I used electrical tape to hold it back on. Should I cut off the broken plug and splice in a new one? What do you guys think?:shrug:

i wouldnt worry about the plugs i think all of mine are broken. make sure they are all plugged in and like i said check your vaccum lines. Check the basics to, like if you have spark, fuel, correct timing, etc to start eleminating things

robbo