Granatelli vs. MM K-member?? any thoughts, opinions?

Johnnyrambo41

Sep 20, 2011
CT
Granatelli vs. MM K-member?? any thoughts, opinions? I'm trying to see if anyone is running a granatelli k-member and coil over kit on their sn95? the granatelli loooks identical to the MM setup, but the MM setup is at least $1,000 more. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. i do want the 300lb spring rate, not building a drag car.

• Sponsors (?)

Head over to corral.com and do a search over there and form your opinions from there. Some people run his parts without issues and others have had some failures but they all seem to be related to rear control arms and one coil over failure I have found.

There is a guy on corral that runs his K member kit and does really well with it at auto x and hill climb events. His K member IS a copy of MM no matter what he says. Most people wont run it though because of the past failures. If I would to run a K from him it would be the platinum series. I say this because I have seen that K up close and they have deffinetly cleaned up the welds as they look a lot more uniform with less spatter everywhere. You can pick up that K with arms from jegs for $400 I believe. Personally after doing all the research I can't bring myself to buy his parts.

You can run a product designed by a legitamate American company or you can support a company that buys anothers product and sends it to India to have it coppied so they can undercut the price. You decide.

Reactions: 1 users
You can run a product designed by a legitamate American company or you can support a company that buys anothers product and sends it to India to have it coppied so they can undercut the price. You decide.

J.R. claims that his new platinum K and rear lowers are all made in house in SoCal. If that is true then at least his stuff is made in the U.S. now. However it's still obvious that he copied MM and that alone steers some away. Some how UPR gets away with it without nearly as much bashing. I believe his regular K is still made in India though.

One other thing to the OP if you are still considering buying a K member kit from GMS. A lot of people are quick to point out how thin the LCA mounting tabs are on the GMS K when compared to MM. However when you take a hard look at a Griggs or Kenny Brown K the tabs seem to be about the same thickness as the GMS K. When I started really digging into K members I found this very interesting. If you take into account the high G-loads the Griggs tabs see I think the GMS tabs would be just fine. You can also look at UPR, QA1, and even PA racing and see they also have thin tabs and there are no known failures to date from any of them. So don't put to much stock into it.

On another note. I am one of the few out there who would NOT install a Griggs K on my car. I say this because Griggs has actually had at least one full blown failure that I have found. Plus he considers all his parts race only parts that should be "timed out". Some how people still act as though his stuff is tough as nails. If it were that strong you would never have to "time out" anything.

One other thing to the OP if you are still considering buying a K member kit from GMS. A lot of people are quick to point out how thin the LCA mounting tabs are on the GMS K when compared to MM. However when you take a hard look at a Griggs or Kenny Brown K the tabs seem to be about the same thickness as the GMS K. When I started really digging into K members I found this very interesting. If you take into account the high G-loads the Griggs tabs see I think the GMS tabs would be just fine. You can also look at UPR, QA1, and even PA racing and see they also have thin tabs and there are no known failures to date from any of them. So don't put to much stock into it.

That was one of the major selling points for me when buying my steeda K member. The mounting points for control arms and the usage of stock arms. I stepped back and looked at what my car will be used for and went with what I was comfortable with. It cost me a little more money and a little more weight.

Thanks guys, great information and opinions. Darkside what was that link Corral.com, because evry time i try and search it my browser takes me to some weird bearded dude"s site, definately not relevant to mustang stuff lol. Anywaw... thanks again fellas, i appreciate the help!

No problem. If you really take the time to read through everything on all the sites you will find that even though his parts are copies they aren't all bad. It really seems like people either love or hate them. Again form your OWN opinion as some of the posts on corral and other forums are just pointless BS bashing. One guy I found claims to have seen more then a dozen failures of his parts at auto x events. Really a dozen? Come on. I found another guy who claimed to have seen it a hundred times. Again sensless bashing.

Reactions: 1 user
No problem. If you really take the time to read through everything on all the sites you will find that even though his parts are copies they aren't all bad. It really seems like people either love or hate them. Again form your OWN opinion as some of the posts on corral and other forums are just pointless BS bashing. One guy I found claims to have seen more then a dozen failures of his parts at auto x events. Really a dozen? Come on. I found another guy who claimed to have seen it a hundred times. Again sensless bashing.

yes people tend to get crazy and exaggerate (they believe that what theyre running is the best, because it's theirs), those claims are def hard to believe, just tryn to get the most for my hard earned money, as times are hard and we all need to be educated consumers on what we choice to spend on. Again thank you Sir

Here on the flip side is some negative about Granatelli.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1336225-sve-weight-jacker-lcas-lrs-3.html

Post #77 specifically.

In the end the best thing to do is educate yourself on the part.

wow Kornnut, that was a pretty intense battle, thanks for the link, the pics of the the k-member welds were ridiculous, how could that k-member even pass at QC, myself personally would be embarrassed to sell that to someone, if those pics were in fact what they say they were. I would be very interested to see the platinum series and the MM k-members side by side, you would think if summit and jegs are selling them the welds gotta look better now-a-days... and hopefully that wont start another discussion on summit and jegs lol, if i were loaded it would be the MM's without question, but im not....ahhh decisions, decisions... thanks for the info and help guys!