Great Gas Mileage!!!

03NCSTANG said:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99hec.htm

go down to the fuel part...

your computer shows 232 as full stop. That means you cannot put anymore fuel in the
car that the computer can recognize. So what your computer sees (232), your fuel
take is at 15.7 gallons...Full to the rim.

So, if the computer see's my gas level at 82, then that's a little under 1/4 of a tank, leaving me a little over 5 gallons in my tank...meaning, i burned over 10 gallons. so yes, i did get 33mpg.

can anyone else see the reasoning in this??

Sorry dude, that's not how it works. Just because the computer shows 232, that doesn't mean it's 15.7 gallons. When my tank shows 1/2 tank, on the guage or 138 (1/2) on the computer, it isn't necessarily 1/2 of 15.7. That's just what it reads. We all know that they are inaccurate. That's why the only way to calculate mileage accuratly is to divide the miles traveled by the number of gallons used.

So....you wanna know what you really got? How many miles did you go? Divide that by the number of gallons it took to fill it.

• Sponsors (?)

I made a trip this past weekend myself, not that far 304 miles.

I topped the tank off before the trip and before a low fuel light pumping 12.382gallons at $2.01.9 and zeroed the trip odometer.
After the trip and before getting a low fuel light, I topped the tank off again pumping 13.123gallons at $2.01.9 and the trip odometer read 304.6 miles, that comes to 23.21 mpg.

I’m about to have gears installed and wanted something to go by. I plan to make the exact trip after gears and a tune to get a rough idea how they effect my mileage.

Right now with mods at 23mpg I’m happy, thinking I need a tune though. :)

-Cale

guys next time you fill up. Look at the damn gas pump, and see how many gallons it gave you. Geez.

My GT, and Cobra tank are both 14 gallon.

Oh and just in case- to tell you will have to fill up when you're on "E" for empty to even be able to add 14 gallons, and maybe +/- .1-.2 gallons more. But 15.7 ? no.

I average 16 city, and highway normal driving, but I run my a/c full time which significantly lowers it to 16. :bang:

68 & 00 GT said:
guys next time you fill up. Look at the damn gas pump, and see how many gallons it gave you. Geez.

Oh and just in case- to tell you will have to fill up when you're on "E" for empty to even be able to add 14 gallons, and maybe +/- .1-.2 gallons more. But 15.7 ? no.

I average 16 city, and highway normal driving, but I run my a/c full time which significantly lowers it to 16. :bang:
15.7 iz corect yo
reserve fuuel!!

68 & 00 GT said:

I ran mine out of gas one time. After pushing it 1/2 mile to a gas station, puking my guts out for 10 minutes, it took 15.0 gallons exactly. That includes the filler neck, because it overflowed a cup or two, cause I was puking (yes...1/2 mile is a long way to push a 3400 lb car).

To make a long story short, he didn't get 33 mpg. He calculated it wrong and hopefully next time he'll just see how far he went and how many gallons he used. :nice:

03NCSTANG said:
I figured someone would challenge me...Here's how i calculated it.

15.7 gallons = 232 ticks...check mustang world...
15.7/232 = 0.0679 gallons/tick

my car had 332 miles @ 82 ticks

(15.7g - (82*.0679g) * X = 332miles
X = (332miles/10.042g)
X = 33.0611mpg

Magic math :rlaugh: dude to get 33 to the gallon you would have to drive like 33 mph on the freeway :bs:

If you believe this calculation I have got a great financing deal for you!

Not to beat a dead horse, but get out the manual in your glove box and look up the capacity for fuel. It'll say 15.7 gallons. That is it's rated capacity. When you refill from "E" on the gas gauge you still have 2-3 gallons of fuel in the tank (the reserve to keep you from pushing your care to the gas station...wink,wink :D ).

Hence you normally can't put much more than 13 or so gallons in the tank when filling from "E".

And....

mpg literally means, MILES PER GALLON. not ticks per gallon times the rotation of the Sun times the distance from Pluto to Urainus. :nonono:

mpg = miles driven/gallons added Period. End of discussion.

68 & 00 GT said:
Well $hit I didn't realize people filled it up until gas ran out on their damn feet WTF ? When the pump clicks off IMO it's full.

Oh well whatever.

well, you guys are both right really. No one really puts 15.7 gallons in there tank because no one really drives their car until it stops on their own. Usually 14.x gals are put in. but the true capacity of the tank is 15.7. :)