Green Dash Lights - Change to White (Mod)

Big-Foot

Aug 20, 2005
Kenyon, MN
Okay - I can't seem to find it.. Somewhere there was a thread (I thought it was this forum) where someone had the mod to change the green dash lights to white (like they are when your headlights are turned off)...

Anyone know where that thread is or have instructions for the mod?

Obviously this is a non IUP / MyColor car..

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

wow.. if you find it let me know.. I like the white lighting at times.. it would be cool to see when driving and with the crunched numbers it would help this old mans eyes. :cool:

the my color feature is really cool, i got mine to match my car perfectly! ok here is what you do.... just to the right of the stearing wheel on the panel are the buttons to control milage, trip time, miles to empty etc... when the "my color" feature shows up on the screen hit the middle button, it will tell you to hold the button in for 5 seconds or so to change the colors. then you will be able to change the color by adjusting the amount of ( red, blue and green) for example you can have 1part red, 2 parts green and 3 parts blue, and so on to get your desired color. it will take some time so i do not suggest doing this while driving lol. it is also in the owners manual under " my color" :nice:

he was asking how to change the color on the gauges... I told him how, what is so confusing to you boneheads? :p

and no, I did not do this while driving....well I strated messing with it at a red light, but quickly realized that was not ideal. So when I got home I did it. :D

changing the green dash lights to white

Big-Foot said:
Okay - I can't seem to find it.. Somewhere there was a thread (I thought it was this forum) where someone had the mod to change the green dash lights to white (like they are when your headlights are turned off)...

Anyone know where that thread is or have instructions for the mod?

Obviously this is a non IUP / MyColor car..

OK, I remember the thread and the bottom line is this ...

you have to take out the insturment cluster and replace the green LED's with white ones (or the color of your choice) .......

obviously this is no job for a ham-handed wrench twister (so that leaves me out) and would be best done by someone used to electronics fabrication and circuit soldering.

FFG said:
he was asking how to change the color on the gauges... I told him how, what is so confusing to you boneheads? :p

and no, I did not do this while driving....well I strated messing with it at a red light, but quickly realized that was not ideal. So when I got home I did it. :D

Well it's impossible to change it while driving. The car simply won't allow it you MUST be stopped to make any changes.

Sorry to have caused a ruckus with my question...

I've got some experience in surface-mount soldering technology, but have found that the auto-manufacturers typically use flexible mylar for circuitry and this is pretty difficult to work on without damaging it..
I guess I was hoping that someone had already figured out what the trigger was for the white/green change and knew how to alter it.

FFG said:

If we did not love ya then we would not pick on ya. :D You will find that this group is quick to jump on any opportunity to poke fun with someone... No harm meant... Just having fun!

crewwolfy said:
Replacing the standard cluster with a MyColor cluster creates a problem with the mileage indicator, doesn't it? And 'S' at the end or something?

If your wiring harness supports it - you can buy the IUP/MyColor cluster and control switch quadrant and install them. The Speedometer head will need to be recalibrated to the vehicle and the mileage set by Ford (Dealer).

nbk13nw said:
If we did not love ya then we would not pick on ya. :D You will find that this group is quick to jump on any opportunity to poke fun with someone... No harm meant... Just having fun!
:p No harm done. In fact, I would have done the same thing! :rlaugh:

shooterm1 said:
OK, I remember the thread and the bottom line is this ...

you have to take out the insturment cluster and replace the green LED's with white ones (or the color of your choice) .......

obviously this is no job for a ham-handed wrench twister (so that leaves me out) and would be best done by someone used to electronics fabrication and circuit soldering.

No, you can buy LED lights that fit into the dashboard on ebay, or here... No need to solder.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Henceforward said:
No, you can buy LED lights that fit into the dashboard on ebay, or here... No need to solder.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Sorry man - but I've had a 2005 dash cluster in my hands and there are no "replaceable" dash lights as you would expect there to be from earlier cars.
While the link you posted has some cool stuff - it does not have the surface mount LEDs that are required to modify the 2005 Mustang instrument cluster.