Grind going first to second when cold

Letchcore

May 17, 2011
Nashville
I have recently developed a grind going from first to second gear in my 02 GT. It only does it the first 3 or 4 times I shift from first to second. It seems after its warmed up the problem goes away. No other gears have problems and down shifting is perfect. I would think if a the syncros are bad i couldent downshift with no problems at all? No gears pops out. I am not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced. I do feel like I have to let the clutch out far to get engagement. Also I do hear a squeking sound when I press the clutch.

Where should I start in diagnosing the problem and fixing it? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Known thing with the 3650 transmission in the late 01-04 stangs. Just google "3650 2nd gear grind" and you will find tons of results, including people trying different fluids to fix the issue. I think the only real way to fix it is through the Ford TSB for replacing the synchros. My pro-rebuilt 3650 that I got had this done already and the issue is gone, but my old 3650 did this every day it was cold until it warmed up. Just baby it for now, or just go from 1st-3rd (not hard in a v8) until she warms up.

it only happened for me on my old 3650 when the weather was below 40 F and the trans. hadn't warmed up yet. Also many people claim that certain fluids stop this from happening, but this is something you may have to do trial and error for to find yourself.